Analysis 2016 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep that sounds about right Petrie is cooked almost 34 yrs old has kicked 27 goals from 21 games as a full forward 10 more than cas from 2 more games . Cas has played up the ground more and is a 26 year old 8 years younger and a great contested mark 2nd rounder sounds about right . Wouldn't want Petrie has no future so why bother and besides I doubt Petrie would play for any other club other than north .

Ok the Petrie arguement aside, would you offer pick 26 (middle of the 2nd round) for a player that averages less than 1 goal per game and has a less than 50% conversion rate in front of goal?

I wouldn't

Norths game style is very hard to play if you are 30ish or plus...who is to say Harvey and Del Santo wouldn't be better combined for us than a Thomas?
Still all that said - I wouldn't bother with any of them - smacks of short termism and lack of faith in our current leadership group. Wouldn't think either Bolton or SOS would be into that caper.

Bolton because of his ability - will be given the time he needs to put together a list to match his game style - he would prefer youth - we have enough experience Simpson/Murphy/Gibbs/ and Docherty/Cripps are obvious younger leaders...

The Saints moved a lot of senior players out but strategically kept one experienced player in each third of the field.

As you said - we have leaders in DEF and MID.

The most dysfunctional part of our team is our forward line.

If Petrie could be an on field coach, help sort that out and get the young guys headed in the correct direction?

I would be very pleased.

warning. once you read this you cant unread it
It's not saying anything that the more knowledgeable amongst us already knows... and if you go back further than 2010, in fact go back to 2008, have basically screwed up every first round pick until we got to Cripps.

2008 - Yarran - flashy and inconsistent... hasn't been sighted this year
2009 - Lucas - promised much, delivered nothing... and we traded in McLean with our original first round pick.
2010 - Watson - see Lucas.
2011 - Bootsma - ummm... best left unsaid.
2012 - Menzel, T - see Yarran.

5 years and none of them are on our list... and 2 of them are on an AFL list, but haven't played at all this year and are flashy and inconsistent.

Not a good return for those years really!

Ok the Petrie arguement aside, would you offer pick 26 (middle of the 2nd round) for a player that averages less than 1 goal per game and has a less than 50% conversion rate in front of goal?

I wouldn't
Yep many examples of Carlton players going elsewhere and thriving . Hampson went for 28 casboult certainly can .

Trying to get my head around these posts about picking up norfs rejects? How many of you are actually carlton supporters?

Don't try justify your decision, imo you've lost all credibility

Norf freed up cap to pick up swallow. Another 1st rounder to gc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trying to get my head around these posts about picking up norfs rejects? How many of you are actually carlton supporters?

Don't try justify your decision, imo you've lost all credibility

Norf freed up cap to pick up swallow. Another 1st rounder to gc.
It's quite amazing really it's clear that youth is the direction we are taking in the Draft and the trading of 22 year old gws players . As well as the club stating we are looking at players in the early 20s . If a mature 26 year old Wright comes along that's a bonus . Then go and grab a 34 year old Petrie . Could be proven wrong but that sounds astoundingly stupid to me .

The point i was making was.. how many did he kick in the 9 games they won at the start of the year. And subsequently how many has he kicked since then.

**** Petrie he's a hack.

Would much prefer Ty Vickery and THAT is saying something.

Petrie has more goals than Vickery too, would be cheaper and would be happy with 1 year.

Adcock delisted twice in 12 months. For those who wanted to recruit him last year there's a lesson in there somewhere about recruiting old coots from North Melbourne.
That they're good back up, cheap, and on short term contracts allowing you to go year to year and have current performance dictate terms. Adcock only played a couple games for the dogs, but he was a perfect stop gap when several defenders missed due to injury.

we're not 2012 Hawthorn, plugging the odd spot where we have a bit of a leak - and we don't need to bring in aged hacks to 'help' while the youngsters develop - really

We are in exactly the right position to be bringing in a 30+, experienced player if they fill a need and will be a good fit (culturally) with the club and team.

On the proviso that they're coming for free via Free Agency, and on a minimal salary.

Someone like Dal Santo or Petrie would have a wealth of experience to offer, and if the alternative is to take a kid at pick 80+, I'd rather a quality senior mentor who can play 10-15 games if required. They fill a list spot, and aid in developing our kids, as opposed to just recruiting a kid we don't want and delisting him two years later.

No to Boomer and Firrito - both compete pricks and don't want them anywhere near our club.

Yep and Dal Santo needs to fill another photo album full of team mate snaps. ;):p:rolleyes:

They are 8th and hardly a great side. I think he would kick more goals than Cas would, would come via DFA, would be a good swap. Take a pick for Cas and develop Mckay
You've made a great case for signing him as a VFL playing coach, not for the senior list.

It's not saying anything that the more knowledgeable amongst us already knows... and if you go back further than 2010, in fact go back to 2008, have basically screwed up every first round pick until we got to Cripps.

2008 - Yarran - flashy and inconsistent... hasn't been sighted this year
2009 - Lucas - promised much, delivered nothing... and we traded in McLean with our original first round pick.
2010 - Watson - see Lucas.
2011 - Bootsma - ummm... best left unsaid.
2012 - Menzel, T - see Yarran.

5 years and none of them are on our list... and 2 of them are on an AFL list, but haven't played at all this year and are flashy and inconsistent.

Not a good return for those years really!

Not to mention the 2014 draft.

And let's not stop there.

Here are our trades: I'm only going to list the main ones

2008 - Warnock for Pick#24
2009 - McLean for Pick #11 || Fevola for Henderson + Pick #12
2010 - Jacobs for Pick #34 and Pick #67
2011 - No trades
2012 - Russell for Pick #69
2013 - Hampson for Pick #32 || Pick #33 for Docherty || Pick #32 for Everitt + Pick #39
2014 - Garlett + Pick #83 for Pick #61 + Pick #79 || Pick #7 for Pick #19 + Whiley + Jaksch || Pick #46 for Jones

Only the Fevola trade and Docherty trade were wins.

McLean, Jacobs and Pick #7 REALLY hurt. Would've most likely used pick #12 on Tahlia (having picked up Lucas with #11), Jacobs would be our best ruckman by far and Pick #7 would've most likely been Peter Wright. Could make a case for the Warnock trade too. Pick #24 in 2008 and Hannebery was available. Obviously easy to say in hindsight but could've had Dan.

It really highlights why we are where we are and how big the job SOS and Bolts have in front of them.

we're not 2012 Hawthorn, plugging the odd spot where we have a bit of a leak - and we don't need to bring in aged hacks to 'help' while the youngsters develop - really

I agree with that wholeheartedly, plus Suckling and Malceski have hardly set the world on fire at their new clubs.

Recruiting former stars cooked at their old clubs does nothing but waste spots on the list of a possible kid who could be a gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back