List Mgmt. Do we need to miss the finals to get an actual look at where we are?

Remove this Banner Ad

Missing the finals is the only way they may have a true look at where we are at.
If we play finals they we will pat themselves on the back despite the fact we will get murdered in the first week.

Missing the 8 means the club won't have making the 8 / playing finals to hide behind. They can't give us the "we think we're close" bs. We're far from close. We've hardly been competitive in most games this year. I'm sure the backline are sick of trying to win / save games because of the midfields incompetence. I think I remember Gov having a bit of a dig at the midfield group on camera a few weeks ago.

Stuffing up the '07, '08 '09, '11 and '12 drafts have really hurt us imo. Naitanui, Shuey and Sheppard are the only players from those 5 drafts that are still with us that I feel have fulfilled their potential and are A grade players or at least very close. Masten spud, Ebert & Selwood are gone, Notte delisted, Swift retired, Smith and Jones delisted, Stevens gone, Weedon delisted, Newman gone, McInnis rarely impacts at wafl level, Colledge and Carter delisted and Hutchings is depth at best. The '08 draft besides NN and Shuey was really bad considering the talent taken with later picks. I know the later rounds especially are more of a shot in the dark but we took Smith, Jones, Swift over guys like N.Jetta, Walters, Sloane, Zaharakis, Hannebery and beams. That period after Judd and Cousins left and a whole lot of our Premiership players were retiring, with the picks we had we really needed to do better.

Will possibly need to win 4 out of 5 to get into 8th spot (13 wins), unless some other results go our way and 12 wins could be enough, but our percentage might be an issue since we're well behind the teams in the 8. Definitely should win against Brisbane & Carlton, but St Kilda, GWS & Adelaide could be pretty difficult.

Great, so we'll create a cancerous culture while we're having a s**t season.

Tanking is literally the worst thing we could do from here.
we don't tank we just play the kids and * off the old dead wood .

We should still try and win but just do it with sheed barrass Duggan nelson Cole karpany partington Lamb Mutimer Watson rioli all getting a decent extended run at it

Yes, we do.

We are a team with no mental strength.

It has simply not been a joy to watch Eagles footy for the most part this season, bar maybe the Geelong game. But even then we let late goals in.

Get that yoof in ASAP.

Well I think today's result might just put an end to the idea of Nicnat playing this season. Why risk him for no reason? Keep him in a rehab program and get a real crack at the preseason to launch into next year.

Missing the 8 means the club won't have making the 8 / playing finals to hide behind. They can't give us the "we think we're close" bs. We're far from close. We've hardly been competitive in most games this year. I'm sure the backline are sick of trying to win / save games because of the midfields incompetence. I think I remember Gov having a bit of a dig at the midfield group on camera a few weeks ago.

Stuffing up the '07, '08 '09, '11 and '12 drafts have really hurt us imo. Naitanui, Shuey and Sheppard are the only players from those 5 drafts that are still with us that I feel have fulfilled their potential and are A grade players or at least very close. Masten spud, Ebert & Selwood are gone, Notte delisted, Swift retired, Smith and Jones delisted, Stevens gone, Weedon delisted, Newman gone, McInnis rarely impacts at wafl level, Colledge and Carter delisted and Hutchings is depth at best. The '08 draft besides NN and Shuey was really bad considering the talent taken with later picks. I know the later rounds especially are more of a shot in the dark but we took Smith, Jones, Swift over guys like N.Jetta, Walters, Sloane, Zaharakis, Hannebery and beams. That period after Judd and Cousins left and a whole lot of our Premiership players were retiring, with the picks we had we really needed to do better.
A lot of those drafts were dud central though. 07, 09, 2011 and 12 were terrible quality drafts where we had picks. The problem is we didn't really nail any of our late selections. Even getting one of someone like Walters, Sloane, Neale would make a big difference. But those drafts were wastelands after the top 20-30.

Won't do anything it September, but the pick will be tragic either way.

This MC has slept through about 17 wake up calls in the last two years, so don't think anything will save them now. In too deep with the decisions they fall back on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no interest in us playing finals this season. To be honest I don't think we could get there if we tried.

It'd be nice to land a top ten pick (potentially pick #8). It would be nice to try and manufacture a second pick in the top 30 but hard to see how it would get done. I think we will cut deep this offseason and so there will be plenty of list space to draft deep again.

I think we would be making up the numbers if we were to make the finals ala North last year.

I would probably try and play Lamb in the seniors for the rest of the year unless its already been decided hes delisted. It will either show if he can play at senior level with better players or provide some trade value.

Karpany should be in the side

Partington should play the rest of the year as well

Then why haven't you changed teams yet?
Lol. Righto mate.

I want us to give a crack to some more of our kids, rather than go into selection damage control and load up on senior players.

Because I think it makes no sense to rob the youngsters of a chance to get some more experience leading into the preseason, simply so we can finish 9th or lose an away elimination final.

There is absolutely no evidence that this "builds a cancerous culture" so I'm not sure where you're pulling that from. I know you'll go and refer to Melbourne in the early 2010s, but I'm not buying that argument at all.

The team's senior players have had serious mental issues for a long time now so I fail to see how missing the eight is going to make much difference.

Last edited:
midfield is poo as I said at the end of last season. Petrie has heart so does JK that is it. I feel sorry for JK. It wouldn't surprise me one bit If JK asks for a trade he deserves better. Club needs to tank last 5 games get smashed in all of them and off load that rubbish coach, Gepp, Nisbett , MC and start again.

I would honestly consider trading NicNat. Sick and tired of our whole existence being built around him. All you hear is "when Nics back we'll be better" honestly he is great but no other team in the league relies on 1 guy as much. It is very worrying.

Obviously they wont but we could probably get decent player and a rd1 pick for him and when u get rid of 5-7 others go 4 the rebuild.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lol. Righto mate.

I want us to give a crack to some more of our kids, rather than go into selection damage control and load up on senior players.

Because I think makes no sense to rob the youngsters of a chance to get some more experience leading into the preseason, simply so we can finish 9th or lose an away elimination final.

There is absolutely no evidence that this "builds a cancerous culture" so I'm not sure where you're pulling that from. I know you'll go and refer to Melbourne in the early 2010s, but I'm not buying that argument at all.

The team's senior players have had serious mental issues for a long time now so I fail to see how missing the eight is going to make much difference.

Fair enough. Sorry if I came off as a bit of a prick, but I've always assumed tanking means trying to lose instead of playing the kids.

I would honestly consider trading NicNat. Sick and tired of our whole existence being built around him. All you hear is "when Nics back we'll be better" honestly he is great but no other team in the league relies on 1 guy as much. It is very worrying.

Obviously they wont but we could probably get decent player and a rd1 pick for him and when u get rid of 5-7 others go 4 the rebuild.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Geelong should also get rid of Paddy Dangerfield, their over reliance on him is doing more harm then good.

Fair enough. Sorry if I came off as a bit of a prick, but I've always assumed tanking means trying to lose instead of playing the kids.
It's basically just a figure of speech. I don't want to have to care about winning anymore this year because ultimately it seems almost impossible we could win the flag in this form

It would be much easier to watch the remaining games and focus on any improvement we can see in the kids

It's basically just a figure of speech. I don't want to have to care about winning anymore this year because ultimately it seems almost impossible we could win the flag in this form

It would be much easier to watch the remaining games and focus on any improvement we can see in the kids

I'd say there's still a chance for form reversal, but it'll need to come from somewhere deep down that hasn't been seen in a while.

The minute we get belief (which is looking unlikely from here) it'll catch like wildfire and potentially take us to a GF.

I'd say there's still a chance for form reversal, but it'll need to come from somewhere deep down that hasn't been seen in a while.

The minute we get belief (which is looking unlikely from here) it'll catch like wildfire and potentially take us to a GF.
We had belief, in the Geelong game, it went away again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back