List Mgmt. Do we need to miss the finals to get an actual look at where we are?

Remove this Banner Ad

No one wants to see a loss like today. It's one of the worst I've seen in years, given the circumstances.
Now we're an outside chance to even make the 8.

My question; is this a good thing? Do we need to finally miss the 8 and get a reality check and see where we're at. The same few dudes coming in week in week out doesn't get us anywhere, we're not developing any top end talent and having place holders like Masten and Hill coming in and out isn't getting us anywhere.

We need a reality check, does missing the finals give us that?

I was thinking the same thing. Missing the eight might be better for the club in the long run. We were garbage today. My god we are slow. It might sharpen the attention of Cransberg and the board. Can the club still sack Simpson and pay him out for his final year?

They'll give Simpson at least 2 more years I feel. Making the GF has given him plenty of credit however I really don't see Simpson turning this around without rapid changes during the off season and a couple of good assistants next to him.

I feel we are really missing Pyke

The question is, do we try our best to get into 8th spot, or just play the kids as much as possible for the last 5 games? Probably just as much chance whether we play the kids or not, considering the way we've been going. Obviously will depend on whether we're willing to drop the older players or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we need to go into full rebuild mode and it wont be a quick turn around. We need to draft and recruit well and might have to offload some senior players along the way.

Don't see how missing finals gets us an 'actual look at where we are'.

Finishing 9th gets us 1 position better in draft.
I'd rather be 8th and get a shot, or just finish 14th and get a top 5 pick.

We are playing like a bottom 5 team, but will probably still finishing around 7-10th.

we need to go into full rebuild mode and it wont be a quick turn around. We need to draft and recruit well and might have to offload some senior players along the way.

But the club and Simpson will have to acknowledge there is a problem first. Simpson is still full of superlatives to do anything about it.

If the club wasn't so hell bent on picking players with 'credits in the bank' at certain points of the season and/or clinging onto some false hope of being a serious contender, we could have accelerated a rejuvenation of the team this season itself and probaby were a good chance of still making the eight as well at the same time.

We don't need to, the reality is we will though. And that is actually where we are now.
A Coach incapable of preparing the players to rise to any form of occasion. A captain who in the dying stages of the game is happy to concede a goal rather than sheppard for a player he's just lazily dish a handball off to while under more pressure than himself. A core group of 2006 premiership hangover draftee's who for whatever reason have no interest in team success.
Hawthorn are a better shot at making finals from here than us. We'll smash Brisbane next week and then likely need to beat the Saints to get back in the 8, expect a carbon copy of todays performance on that day.

Don't see how missing finals gets us an 'actual look at where we are'.

Finishing 9th gets us 1 position better in draft.
I'd rather be 8th and get a shot, or just finish 14th and get a top 5 pick.

We are playing like a bottom 5 team, but will probably still finishing around 7-10th.

I think people are hoping its the impetus to the MC to really makes changes to the core of the team instead of pointing out how many young half back flankers you have i the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back