Changes v Roos R14

Remove this Banner Ad

Bevo just ruled out bringing in a new ruckman and pretty much confirmed Boyd will go up against Goldy solo on Saturday night. I don’t think we’ll be seeing Boyd as a permanent full forward for a very long time.
Chance we might see Trengove back in to a ruck/forward role? I hope not!

Guys, Tom Campbell has a substantial body of work at AFL level by which we can evaluate him already. This idea that he is our saviour because he's getting a few hitouts in the VFL is a pipe dream. I guarantee that if we played him it would be the same Tom Campbell we see every year since he's been on the list. I love the guy but he will always be nothing more than an honest battler who doesn't offer enough to be worth his spot in the side. He offers about the same as Will Minson around the ground but without the dominant tap work. If Will didn't fit Bevo's gameplan then Campbell never will.

Chance we might see Trengove back in to a ruck/forward role? I hope not!

I hope so. I think we are flush for KPDs now that Naughton has come on so quickly. As long as Adams, Naughton and Cordy are fit I prefer them as our first choice tall defenders. Trengove is probably the best ruck on our list atm given his mobility and his clearance work.

Guys, Tom Campbell has a substantial body of work at AFL level by which we can evaluate him already. This idea that he is our saviour because he's getting a few hitouts in the VFL is a pipe dream. I guarantee that if we played him it would be the same Tom Campbell we see every year since he's been on the list. I love the guy but he will always be nothing more than an honest battler who doesn't offer enough to be worth his spot in the side. He offers about the same as Will Minson around the ground but without the dominant tap work. If Will didn't fit Bevo's gameplan then Campbell never will.
No smoothie for BTC then... ;)

I hope so. I think we are flush for KPDs now that Naughton has come on so quickly. As long as Adams, Naughton and Cordy are fit I prefer them as our first choice tall defenders. Trengove is probably the best ruck on our list atm given his mobility and his clearance work.
Rather Trengove spends the majority in the ruck than Boyd.

English and Boyd are going to be the long term ruck duo at the club. May as well keep playing those two there given the team isn’t going anywhere this year and the other options haven’t shown they’re up to it anyway. Boyd’s never going to be a stay at home forward, some people just need to accept this.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Boyd’s never going to be a stay at home forward, some people just need to accept this.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What some people (like me) can’t accept is that he needs to be given a chance (read as “chained to full forward”) for a month & see what happens. Get some good crumbers around him as at the very least he could bring the ball to ground, it may actually resemble us having someone to kick it to near goal

I’d like to see Cordy forward now that we’ve brought in three big defenders.

Not for me, would love him to spend as much time as possible next to Moz until the inevitable retirement :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Norf supporters were worried about soup. From their board:
BTC has form nullifying Goldstein. There was that patch of games a few years ago where whenever BTC played, we dominated star ruckmen and made them worthless. It was the Tom Campbell effect, and we need to bring it back.

BTC can at least ruck. Obviously he isn't good enough to be a #1 ruck but in our current situation he must be played. I dont care what anyone thinks, Bev has got this wrong. Playing him at least makes Boyd play in his rightful position (you know the best KPF we have). Campbell can at least compete in the ruck which doesn't allow the opposition to dictate stoppages. He isn't a saviour and never will be but he changes what happens at stoppages.
Why keep replicating what has been happening all year, that is insanity. We have been absolutely s**t and i'm damn embarrassed to say norf will beat us easily. If Bev wants a "good" culture and has the balls to toss Stringer out, then he must reward Campbell's VFL form like he will say for any other player.
Why would any ruckman want to come play for us

I'm not a huge Tom Campbell fan. He has played some ok games but never really fulfilled his potential at AFL level for some reason. I was surprised that they kept him on the list at the end of last season, and I don't expect him to miraculously come back into the team and become a dominating player.

However, of the current crop of available ruckman on our list, his form clearly warrants selection.
The mentality of continually picking youth over experience because we are always building for the future is the failed philosophy that keeps on delivering pain and heartache for our club and the many other foolish clubs that have adopted it.

If Campbell could come in and give an honest battler style performance, then he would likely be in our top dozen or so players at the moment.

Roarke Smith dreams of giving an honest battler performance. Trengove gives honest battler performances at best, and Hayden Crozier took 8 matches to raise his performance to an honest battler level.

Schache and Lipinski might currently look down their noses at someone considered an honest battler, but it's only because they apparently believe that a handful of semi-stylish possessions plus a similar number of half hearted but demonstrative efforts is an adequate match contribution. With sufficient therapy they may soon reach a point where they actually seek an honest battler as a mentor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back