Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard this the other day and it made me wonder about CS.

Sean McVeigh is the LA Rams HC. Mid 30's super smart guy. Very dialed into the game and his team.
Last year, Sammy Watkins was traded to the Rams and he played the season there. Watkins was a Top 5 pick but underperformed in Buffalo and was traded.

In his time at the Rams last year, he complained about not playing enough not getting enough passes thrown to him ( he's a WR)

So McVeigh heard about this and called Watkins in. They went to the film room and went thru game edits - every game edit he was involved in for the season to that point.

The verdict was that the QB had indeed missed Watkins on some open routes and McVeigh told Watkins he was right about those.

But McVeigh also showed him every play where he was late, out of position, running the wrong route or not working hard enough.

Watkins admitted his errors and vowed to make more effort to do more and complain less.

Watkins was traded out of the Rams to the Chiefs this offseason. So clearly it didnt work out. Watkins was not a Star player but you dont get taken 5th Overall in the NFL by being a hack either.

The point is - here's a coach that gets engaged with his players, is SUPER smart and is engaged in the game, and took the complaints on the chin and worked with the player to get better. And he's the Head Coach.

The stories ive heard of late of CS and not being that involved with younger and developing players does not thrill me. Perhaps he could learn something here

Go Catters

The big learning curve I havn't heard from CS is "I need to improve in such and such area"..... clearly he does. Either he's too soft on favourites or people he likes or too hard on those he doesn't. Always tricky which is why I suspect he is doing everything through the coaches under him. This isn't good either. Need to be on top of if and have connection to the players. I used to manage large teams in the many hundreds and of course you can't know everybody well and you rely on working 'through' people but you do need to make people feel they are connected to the position and can escalate even for chat, if required; most people have a bullshit detector so any faking is problematic.

Is Lloyd strong enough to have THAT type of conversation and manage the fallout. Bomber went a bit crazy after the '06 review and the hard chats which were very similar to the rumours around Chris in that he was distant and not communicative enough.

Nice one.
He did not touch the ball, clearly remonstrated inappropriately, and got what players get for that.
Players go off all the time and argue and ump gives them warnings or tells them calm down or they will get a free against them etc. Seen much worse and a free not given. It was criminal what the ump did.

Players go off all the time and argue and ump gives them warnings or tells them calm down or they will get a free against them etc. Seen much worse and a free not given. It was criminal what the ump did.
It's always criminal when it involves our players.

This caught my eye... I didn't feel overly surprised either, I've had the view for a while that there is a bit of disengagement between coaches and players - unless you are one of the top dozen players at the club

Last edited:
This caught my eye... I didn't feel overly surprised either, I've had the view for a while that there is a bit of disengagement between coaches and players - unless you are one of the top dozen players at the club

I remember the Gillies interview where he said Scott talked to him once in a year.
People on here calling him a liar because he was "jealous " or cause he's a "spud".
It gave me a chuckle.
Anyway 3 year extension. The club is happy with how he operates so I wouldn't be expecting any change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have a top dozeno_O
That may be stretching it..

But he loves Selwood, he loves Danger, he loves Hawk.. He loves the big guns.

I know nothing about the inner workings and don't pretend to .. But I don't reckon he loves Cunico, Jones etc near as much... And while that is a natural thing, the players want to feel like the coach had their back and if they are going to buy in fully they need to feel that.

I don't feel like our side is going to all buy in any time soon...

The more heat put on Chris Scott to change the better.

Having said that, I'm hugely sceptical of Nathan Vardy. I think he's trying to deflect responsibility for his poor run at Geelong. From what I've heard, he's the man most at fault for his uninspiring career with us.

Last edited:

Gosh. Highlights need to get team Psychology involved. That or Macarthy. Lloyd is a psychologist but now he’s in charge so thats a massive job to do from within.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The more heat put of Chris Scott to change the better.

Having said that, I'm hugely sceptical of Nathan Vardy. I think he's trying to deflect responsibility for his poor run at Geelong. From what I've heard, he's the man most at fault for his uninspiring career with us.

Vardy doesn't need to do or say anything he is contracted until 2020.

It is up to the player to do what they can to carve out an AFL career but the club should be doing as much as possible to help.

Doesn't seem like the club is doing a great job at the moment.

“Well he would say that, wouldn’t he.”

Would be the response if this was a current player praising Scott.

No reason not to be equally sceptical here.

I'll happily put steel-capped boots into Scott when warranted, but I'm not sure Vardy was completely the club's fault.

For a start, he legitimately had multiple injuries, and annoyingly, to different body parts. It wasn't like a knee with Menzel or Achilles and hamstrings with Cowan. The other thing, as good as he looked at times - he really didn't play that many great games for us. And unlike say Brown or Horlin-Smith who would continually go back to the VFL and star, Vardy rarely did that. I didn't see it, but others have commented that he was pretty petulant and sulky at times at the lower level.

Good for him that he's doing better at West Coast, but not sure he should have been kept at the time either. Hard to say.

“Well he would say that, wouldn’t he.”

Would be the response if this was a current player praising Scott.

No reason not to be equally sceptical here.

Exactly. I think many ex-players would be somewhat bitter with their former clubs. Vardy (even when fit) towards the end of his time at the Cats, was no longer seen as best 22. Maybe that annoyed him a lot. Maybe there was just personality clashes. Who knows really.

Exactly. I think many ex-players would be somewhat bitter with their former clubs. Vardy (even when fit) towards the end of his time at the Cats, was no longer seen as best 22. Maybe that annoyed him a lot. Maybe there was just personality clashes. Who knows really.
That's true. But it's weird we've heard Gillies, Vardy an an article saying that Lloyd was bought in partly because Scott wouldnt talk to young players to tell them why they were dropped, another article saying he didn't even turn up to exit interviews.
How come we don't here this about other coaches?
Is everyone just unfairly picking on Chris Scott?
How come he doesn't respond and call it bullshit?

Last edited:
I remember the Gillies interview where he said Scott talked to him once in a year.
People on here calling him a liar because he was "jealous " or cause he's a "spud".
It gave me a chuckle.
Anyway 3 year extension. The club is happy with how he operates so I wouldn't be expecting any change.
I also remember this and the backlash that Gillies received at the time.
Then the claims that Scott didn't personally conduct end of season reviews/interviews with the players at the end of each season seemed alarming.

Now this from Vardy.

Now I'm going to go out on a bit of a limb, but this is how I imagine the workings of the coaching group: We as a club, since 2006 seem to have gone down a more large business style approach with our coaching structure. To the extent that we, Geelong, probably shouldn't call Scott a 'coach'. 'Team Manager', like in the EPL, is probably a more appropriate term - whereby Scott delegates to sub-managers in the form of 'Assistant Coaches'. This seems to be his role - development of tactics/structures, and overseeing their implementation through the assistant coaches.
Having less contact with players, and more delegation of that task to the assistants. Player welfare and relationship tasks are delegated to the relevant employee - probably the player welfare officer and to a lesser extent the assistant coaches.
Assistant coaches, player welfare officers, opponent analysts and medical staff report/give feedback back to Scott re. tactical implementation and player status. And the cycle continues.
Players therefore don't have much to do with Scott on a day to day basis.
Simon Lloyd oversees all and keeps this structure going, and makes sure all staff know their roles and KPI's and are happy.
Lloyd reports to Cook.

This is Brian Cook's baby IMO and probably came on the back of the 2006 review which noted that Bomber was overworked. A much more well defined structure was placed around him. We still see this operating today.

I also remember this and the backlash that Gillies received at the time.
Then the claims that Scott didn't personally conduct end of season reviews/interviews with the players at the end of each season seemed alarming.

Now this from Vardy.

Now I'm going to go out on a bit of a limb, but this is how I imagine the workings of the coaching group: We as a club, since 2006 seem to have gone down a more large business style approach with our coaching structure. To the extent that we, Geelong, probably shouldn't call Scott a 'coach'. 'Team Manager', like in the EPL, is probably a more appropriate term - whereby Scott delegates to sub-managers in the form of 'Assistant Coaches'. This seems to be his role - development of tactics/structures, and overseeing their implementation through the assistant coaches.
Having less contact with players, and more delegation of that task to the assistants. Player welfare and relationship tasks are delegated to the relevant employee - probably the player welfare officer and to a lesser extent the assistant coaches.
Assistant coaches, player welfare officers, opponent analysts and medical staff report/give feedback back to Scott re. tactical implementation and player status. And the cycle continues.
Players therefore don't have much to do with Scott on a day to day basis.
Simon Lloyd oversees all and keeps this structure going, and makes sure all staff know their roles and KPI's and are happy.
Lloyd reports to Cook.

This is Brian Cook's baby IMO and probably came on the back of the 2006 review which noted that Bomber was overworked. A much more well defined structure was placed around him. We still see this operating today.
Yeah i think this is the case. It's the way Matthews coached after his first couple of years at Brissy.
Worked for them I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back