Prediction Who will finish higher in 2019 - Richmond, West Coast, Collingwood or Melbourne?

Who will finish higher?

• Richmond

Votes: 196 38.6%
  • West Coast

Votes: 157 30.9%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 99 19.5%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 56 11.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

??

This is how I would rank the players in both midfields:

1. Gawn
2. Oliver
3. Grundy
4. Sidebottom
5. Beams
6. Viney
7. Brayshaw
8. Treloar
9. Harmes
10. Adams

Melbourne players are younger and better.

There is no way you can completely ignore Scott Pendlebury in this one.

There is no way you can completely ignore Scott Pendlebury in this one.
I can and did. Thought he showed signs that he’s about to fall off a cliff last season, similarly to Nathan Jones. Neither are in my top ten.

Viney at best is equal with Adams. No way is he ahead of Treloar or Pendlebury.

Harmes had a very good finish to the year, but is not in the discussion for top ten here.

Vineys a better player than Adams at his best but his durability is a serious concern, so wouldn’t blame people taking Adams as the gap isn’t large and Viney is no guarantee to reach 200 games.

Viney at best is equal with Adams. No way is he ahead of Treloar or Pendlebury.

Harmes had a very good finish to the year, but is not in the discussion for top ten here.
I can't argue with that coming off a 7 game season in the h&a.

If he can play every game, or close to it, he'll be invaluable to us.

Oliver is a better player, but right now no-one is more important than Viney in our midfield.

I can't argue with that coming off a 7 game season in the h&a.

If he can play every game, or close to it, he'll be invaluable to us.

Oliver is a better player, but right now no-one is more important than Viney in our midfield.

Viney is without doubt a very valuable asset to Melbourne, but it doesn’t make him one of the best going around.

Mason Cox is very valuable to Collingwood’s forward line, but he wouldn’t be near the league’s top echelon key forwards.

No I am not comparing Viney to Cox, I am merely stating that importance and genuine ability are quite different. Ability wise, I don’t see how Viney would be any better than Adams.

Viney is without doubt a very valuable asset to Melbourne, but it doesn’t make him one of the best going around.

Mason Cox is very valuable to Collingwood’s forward line, but he wouldn’t be near the league’s top echelon key forwards.

No I am not comparing Viney to Cox, I am merely stating that importance and genuine ability are quite different. Ability wise, I don’t see how Viney would be any better than Adams.
Well then we will disagree.

Viney's peak level is very high imo and higher than the Taylor Adam's of this world. He's an absolute beast around the contest.

He's especially valuable in the centre square where he averaged almost 20% more clearances than the second best centre clearance player in the AFL - Cripps.

Viney has put in performances that Taylor Adams will never get near. He’s a beast when he’s up and running. Unfortunately he’s been held back due to injuries but his best is far better than Adams. Viney is a genuine match winner. Adams is a B grader - good without being great. Laughable to suggest Adams is on Viney’s level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone remember Viney vs West Coast over in Perth in 2017 where he singlehandedly dragged his side over the line when he was underdone? 38 touches, 27 contested, 9 clearances and a few clutch moments. Adams is not capable of putting in a shift like that and never will be.

Viney has put in performances that Taylor Adams will never get near. He’s a beast when he’s up and running. Unfortunately he’s been held back due to injuries but his best is far better than Adams. Viney is a genuine match winner. Adams is a B grader - good without being great. Laughable to suggest Adams is on Viney’s level.

Adams’ finals series was the best of everybody’s. We get it, you don’t like Collingwood but at least troll in a way that doesn’t make you look like a complete fool.

Adams’ finals series was the best of everybody’s. We get it, you don’t like Collingwood but at least troll in a way that doesn’t make you look like a complete fool.
I could’ve sworn Steele Sidebottom won the Gary Ayres award?

Zoom Collingwood’s midfield absolutely torched Melbourne’s the last time the two sides met because of its spread and its depth of talent. Now having added Beams who everybody mysteriously stopped unanimously agreeing that he was a top ten midfielder in the comp when he joined Collingwood, that theirs is better than Collingwood’s? It’s just not. Melbourne have a very good midfield, but from we have seen and know, it’s not better than Collingwood’s.

The best of everybody's won't be remembered in 2019, Dom Sheed's goal will be remembered for evermore. Good Luck in 2019.No Excuses?

The best of everybody's won't be remembered in 2019, Dom Sheed's goal will be remembered for evermore. Good Luck in 2019.No Excuses?

No excuses is the aim, but if injury rolls around like last year then what can you do? Not exactly sure how your post is relevant at all but ah well. Good luck in 2019 to you too.

Anyone remember Viney vs West Coast over in Perth in 2017 where he singlehandedly dragged his side over the line when he was underdone? 38 touches, 27 contested, 9 clearances and a few clutch moments. Adams is not capable of putting in a shift like that and never will be.
This at a minimum separates the two. Viney can carry a team over the line. Not many can do this. He is awesome in beast mode.

Zoom Collingwood’s midfield absolutely torched Melbourne’s the last time the two sides met because of its spread and its depth of talent. Now having added Beams who everybody mysteriously stopped unanimously agreeing that he was a top ten midfielder in the comp when he joined Collingwood, that theirs is better than Collingwood’s? It’s just not. Melbourne have a very good midfield, but from we have seen and know, it’s not better than Collingwood’s.

Don’t pay any attention to zoom he knows nothing about football!!! Collingwood om paper has the best midfield!! Melbourne tho imo have the second best midfield could not keep up with Collingwood’s midfield and we have added an A grade player in Beams

Last edited:
They'll belt West Coast in round 3 also. Saturday night, big stage at the G.

Statement game from the Pies. Footy season hasn't even started yet and I foresee this already.

He did but Adams was far more consistent over the span of the whole finals series.
That wasn’t your argument though. You said he was better, not more consistent. People who know more about football than you and I judged Sidebottom to be the best player in finals.
So what? Our midfield absolutely torched Melbourne’s last year as well, does that mean Richmond have a better midfield than Melbourne? West Coast smashed you in the middle on Grand Final day, do they have a better midfield than you? Poor logic. You can’t go off one game.

You added Beams but Melbourne’s midfielders have so much more upside. Apart from Jones and AvB, they’re all 24 and under. You’ve got three on the wrong side of 28, with depth including Wells (cooked) and Varcoe (getting on). You’ve got little upside in your midfield. They have plenty.

Back