A Section VAFA Premier 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to note the rule changes announced by the VAFA this week.

One of the changes will be that umpires will no longer hand out 25 meters but 50 metres penalties instead like in the AFL.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Shocking decision by the VAFA.
They do realise we play on smaller grounds and with trigger happy umpires?!

Shocking decision by the VAFA.
They do realise we play on smaller grounds and with trigger happy umpires?!

The 50 metre penalty handed out by VAFA umpires this season might work on big grounds like Elsternwick Park but could be problematic on a ground like Beach Road Oval or Glenferrie Oval where a 50m penalty could mean a shot for goal from inside the centre square would not be out of the question.

The 50 metre penalty handed out by VAFA umpires this season might work on big grounds like Elsternwick Park but could be problematic on a ground like Beach Road Oval or Glenferrie Oval where a 50m penalty could mean a shot for goal from inside the centre square would not be out of the question.

Fair point jase but who plays on glenferrie these days?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fair point jase but who plays on glenferrie these days?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
What about each Prem oval?

SKevs - decent size, not an issue
Collegians - a bit shorter...any 50m penalty forward of the 50 will be a shot at goal
Trinity - very long oval. Not an issue
OB - still a little short from memory, might be an issue
Xavs - Toorak Park is a decent size. Not an issue
De La - horrible slope, but sneakily long goal to goal. Not an issue.
Blues - a little short. Similar to Collegians I reckon.
OMs at Elsternwick - also decent length goal to goal.
Bernards and Carey both big ovals. Quite long goal to goal line. Not an issue.

Simple message is - don’t give them away, particularly past the Centre circle. Else many teams will be having a shot for goal.

But not many ovals too short goal to goal in Prem this season.

What about each Prem oval?

SKevs - decent size, not an issue
Collegians - a bit shorter...any 50m penalty forward of the 50 will be a shot at goal
Trinity - very long oval. Not an issue
OB - still a little short from memory, might be an issue
Xavs - Toorak Park is a decent size. Not an issue
De La - horrible slope, but sneakily long goal to goal. Not an issue.
Blues - a little short. Similar to Collegians I reckon.
OMs at Elsternwick - also decent length goal to goal.
Bernards and Carey both big ovals. Quite long goal to goal line. Not an issue.

Simple message is - don’t give them away, particularly past the Centre circle. Else many teams will be having a shot for goal.

But not many ovals too short goal to goal in Prem this season.

Have to disagree Bagman. The 50m rule has always been a disproportionate penalty for what are generally minor or unintentional indiscretions. Full time umpires at AFL level regularly get it wrong so what hope do the part timers have. Bloody tough job umpiring and I reckon on the whole ours are pretty good but we all know that with some there is an element of “look at me”. This just gives those few another opportunity to put the focus back on themselves.

And StKeve a decent size? TH King is very small. Nice ground with good viewing but tiny. Beach road oval even smaller. Some of the grounds in the lower grades are barely 50m from the centre square. And how do you reckon this will go with the “neutral” club umpires in the lower grade reserve games?

Plenty of things need fixing in the VAFA but this is not one of them. VAFA was happy to roll out the 25m rule as one of several points of difference with other leagues. I guess having a point of difference is not so important anymore.

Last edited:
Have to disagree Bagman. The 50m rule has always been a disproportionate penalty for what are generally minor or unintentional indiscretions. Full time umpires at AFL level regularly get it wrong so what hope do the part timers have. Bloody tough job umpiring and I reckon on the whole ours are pretty good but we all know that with some there is an element of “look at me”. This just gives those few another opportunity to put the focus back on themselves.

And StKeve a decent size? TH King is very small. Nice ground with good viewing but tiny. Beach road oval even smaller. Some of the grounds in the lower grades are barely 50m from the centre square. And how do you reckon this will go with the “neutral” club umpires in the lower grade reserve games?

Plenty of things need fixing in the VAFA but this is not one of them. VAFA was happy to roll out the 25m rule as one of several points of difference with other leagues. I guess having a point of difference is not so important anymore.

Especially for those VAFA umpires who are desperate not only to get the much-coveted finals appointments (ie VAFA Premier Grand Final), but also want to get into the VFL and possibly the AFL umpires panel as well.

TH King is 156m long, Dairy Bell 149m, Toorak Park 152m, Elsternwick Park 145m, Brighton 144m, Harry Trott 146m, St Bernard’s 149m, Melb Uni 136m, Dunshea 156m, Trinity 154m.

Coaches at the various VAFA Premier clubs will now have to tell their players to play with more discipline, after all they don't want to be on the wrong end of a 50m penalty which could cost them a game..or a grand final especially if the scores are close with 10-15 minutes to go in the game.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

TH King is 156m long, Dairy Bell 149m, Toorak Park 152m, Elsternwick Park 145m, Brighton 144m, Harry Trott 146m, St Bernard’s 149m, Melb Uni 136m, Dunshea 156m, Trinity 154m.

Nice stats. If 100% accurate, some surprise me. If both teams have someone standing 50m out from goal at the Uni, they are just 36m apart. Crikey. Thats just a long handball.
Carey seems so much bigger than King when watching. They have a 45m line, so it’s 66m from arc to arc. Feels like about 80.
But def agree the new 50m rule will be a game turner. Discipline required. IMO our umps are first class with close to zero look at me factor, But if it’s there you have to pay it. There’s a lot of chirp and abuse post decisions that teams will need to be wary of. Players will just need to pull their heads in a little bit. Good life lesson.

Nice stats. If 100% accurate, some surprise me. If both teams have someone standing 50m out from goal at the Uni, they are just 36m apart. Crikey. Thats just a long handball.
Carey seems so much bigger than King when watching. They have a 45m line, so it’s 66m from arc to arc. Feels like about 80.
But def agree the new 50m rule will be a game turner. Discipline required. IMO our umps are first class with close to zero look at me factor, But if it’s there you have to pay it. There’s a lot of chirp and abuse post decisions that teams will need to be wary of. Players will just need to pull their heads in a little bit. Good life lesson.
Especially if the scores are tied with not much time to go in this year's Premier Grand Final, when one of the teams is on the wrong end of a (very) dubious free kick and some of the players take their anger out on the umpire who paid the free kick in the first place. End result-50m penalty.

Ease up on the hypotheticals there Jase... my concern is inconsistency, the umps will have to do a lot of practice pacing out 50m. The fluoro oddballs in the WRFL are generally OK but I have been incandescent with rage in a close undisciplined game when one umpire pays 30m "50s" for us and the other pays 60m "50s" for them. As Hippster says, discipline and pulling heads in will be rewarded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The MCG is 173.6m apparently.

The MCG Arc's are is 50 Metres (100 metres in total), the square is 50 metres. There is not 11 metres between the square and the arc. The length of the overall surface maybe 173. 6metres. Toorak Park overall length is 160 metres in total length, which is not the playing surface length.

MCG is slightly over 160m between the goalposts, Toorak Park about 154m, with the MCG being about 20m wider. That's the biggest difference in play.

It doesn't sound a lot, but the playing area is over 22% larger.

Should be easy to kick a goal at the G with that distance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back