Training Pre Season 18/19

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.afl.com.au/video/2019-02-21/aflx-teams-suit-up-as-mclachlan-backs-concept

ignore the rest of the BS, jump straight to 02:40 for Lynch update
Love Jack giving it to the journo.

here's how I read the 'result' from CD:

Richmond won more than half those centre clearances, which typically involved two players stampeding off the back of the square, and did not concede a single point in Champion Data's sample.

that means those 2 spares are gonna swamp the oppo centremen....so successfully, we did not concede a single point...therefore now, I'm willing to risk 2 defenders playing loose, and take up those roles of the 2 spares, now standing behind the 50m arc instead...You may not like the 2 loose defenders....too risky...but stats don't lie...we did not concede a single point with 2 spares.

Effectively, my new formation is 4-8-6...how is that physically possible ? Well no, not INSTANTANEOUSLY, but it is very possible after about a second after the bounce...as 2 loose defs can sprint to the back of the square in a sec.

Sure the result doesn't tell me if the perfect record was purely 100% of the effort of the 2 spares...who knows....but that's the risk I'd take anyway without having all visions/stats available to me for dissection. I guess this is all down to preseason practice drills and trial/error...
When we played 8-6-4, and 7-6-5, one of the extra men stayed in defence to give us the outnumber. Rance and Floss are elite interceptors but that helps.

We rarely if ever had 2 charging in off the back of the square, and with 7-6-5 it was usually none.

Funny thing is we are a really accessible club and always open to the media. I don’t get why they are such *******s about us.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower
Most AFL reporters are big fanboys. Slobbo still whacks off to Baby Bomber videos, so he hates us. Gerald is a typical handbagger who got so used to his club owning us he couldn't handle it when we turned the tables, much like Vesty and the other assorted cry babies. Etc. Etc.

how the **** can he miss nearly a year of footy with only a PCL. Maybe he's on drugs like Bennell , dud delist. lol
PCLs aren't "only". It's a serious injury.

when are we playing a scratch match against another club ?

We aren’t they are all too rubbish to even bother

Decided to play our VFL side cause they were the only half decent team

Remember last years pre season when the media were gagging for us to do a bulldogs and screw up, didn't happen.
Now this pre season it's how these rule tweaks are going to effect us and only us.

They are making it plainly obvious they want Richmond 2016 to happen. It is killing everyone how good we are, **** me the druggies recruit a player and it's dynasty time, pies have a good year on the back of an easy draw and favourable umpiring and it's " lets all jerk off to the pies " QF final in 2018 and the hawks who had won 3 in a row were getting egged on to defeat us to end our 1 flag dynasty. We are not a darling and we never will be.
People have the memory of Goldfish.
In 2017 we ‘did a Bulldogs’. We were going to have a hangover and fail miserably.
Last year, Collingwood ‘did a Richmond’. Essentially the same, peaking at the right time (just without the flag), what are they expected to do? Dominate.
Meanwhile, we ‘did an Adelaide’. Nevermind Geelong 2011 though.

I assume the team is training - at times. This thread is now a sort of chat about 66 and various other issues that capture us for a moment.

very low key and not a lot of pumping of tires this year. Which I like.

But I'd be interested in our strategy for this year. Slow start then come home hard? New tactics? Any guys having their first injury free preseason? And guys with injury interruptions (e.g. Garth)

Players are not allowed between the square and 50 arc. Wingers must be to the side of the square.
yep but it doesnt state how far defensively or offensively along the confines of the centre square dimensions. So you could sit right at the pointy end - its still only 15 metres from there to true chf position just inside 50

I assume the team is training - at times. This thread is now a sort of chat about 66 and various other issues that capture us for a moment.

very low key and not a lot of pumping of tires this year. Which I like.

But I'd be interested in our strategy for this year. Slow start then come home hard? New tactics? Any guys having their first injury free preseason? And guys with injury interruptions (e.g. Garth)
Think we'll take lessons from the past 2yrs.
This time i'll think we'll keep something up our sleeves until finals.

Watching the Melbourne vs Collingwood live stream and my biggest take is that Pruess is making a significant difference albeit in a scratch match.

He's staying forward and taking ALL ruck contests forward of centre while Gawn is taking centre bounces and defensive stoppages. I know it's early but this will cause teams like us trouble if we keep playing only 1 ruck. Pruess just took the ball from the stoppage and snapped a goal - he'd do that with ease against Grigg.

Watching the Melbourne vs Collingwood live stream and my biggest take is that Pruess is making a significant difference albeit in a scratch match.

He's staying forward and taking ALL ruck contests forward of centre while Gawn is taking centre bounces and defensive stoppages. I know it's early but this will cause teams like us trouble if we keep playing only 1 ruck. Pruess just took the ball from the stoppage and snapped a goal - he'd do that with ease against Grigg.

One thing to also consider is previously we seemed to keep Nankervis out of a lot of contests so that we had a contest to kick to down the line. Having Riewoldt or Lynch available to roam higher up the ground will allow Nankervis to go deeper at either end of the ground.

I think the reason we used Grigg so much is because strategically it afforded us the options we wanted... strategy will change and adapt with the rules so I think we will just use different strategy. It’s not like we were forced to play Grigg as a ruck. We could’ve sent Nankervis to more contests or had someone taller chop out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'll be in the Casey Demons side all year, Melbourne are not going to play him unless Gawn gets injured.

Everyone will have the same problem as us. Would not be surprised if both teams effectively concede a second ball up in order to get their desired set up.

This rule only effects one play per goal, we are probably over thinking it. Only Melbourne and maybe Collingwood and weagles will be thinking lolz, we are gonna s**t it in at all the centre bounces.

Big deal for Melbourne, they don't have a good enough forward line. Cox only has one trick and after the GF we know how to negate it. The weagles might benefit but they've lost players in the off season.

All the crap teams are going to be puckering up their assholes when they play us as they won't be able to stop us.

Remember we use the loose man back as an emergency and springboard back into attack because we can live with 5 men in the forward line. The s**t teams use it to stop bleeding goals. The s**t teams are going to get destroyed, that's all this rule will do.
Melbourne were the highest scoring team last year
Not bad for s s**t forward line

No they won't, they have McDonald who is more than capable of doing the forward line rucking. Couldn't even get a game at lolnoorf. They might try it and then will quickly realise he is a dud and off to Casey he goes.

They played a 3 tall setup last year with hogan, McDonald and Gawn so with Hogan gone I dare say he will just take his spot in the forward line

Melbourne were the highest scoring team last year
Not bad for s s**t forward line
Lost their second highest goalkicker to freo. More pressure on McDonald now hence their desire i see to play a ruckman forward. Time will tell as always.

PS: Mumford the clown could be suspended for striking in a scratch match, considering the talk about closed fists being banned i wonder how the MRP will view this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back