Preview Round 1: GWS vs Essendon, Sydney Showgrounds, Sunday 24/03/2019 @ 3.20PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee, having forgot we had such a low goal count in 2018.

Ideally you want two players up around 50 goals yet we only had one kick 30..

This needs to improve.
I would think if smack played the whole year he'd have been up there. We wasted a large chunk of the season playing daniher then snacks injury killed the rest of the season

Francis Ambrose McKenna
Ridley Hurley Saad
McGrath Heppell Zaka
Smith Brown Stringer
Walla Smack Fantasia
T-Bell Shiel Zerrett
Langford Parish Myers Guelfi

We beat GWS last year with a very similar forward line so our issues scoring might be a tad overstated. No Hooker in defence is a worry though as he straightens us up back there, and the Giants are loaded when they move the ball forward quickly.

Starting 18 pick themself accounting for injuries. Myers is a must as last year's numbers show how important he is for our clearance set up by creating space and laying blocks for the likes of Zerrett, Pidgeon and Shiel.

Langford and Parish must step up from last year for us to be a chance of making/winning a final and Guelfi adds flexibility as someone who can rotate through all three areas of the ground for cover. His physicality will be important as well and he honestly didnt put much of a step wrong last year.

This is an early forecast for an adjacent suburb to Olympic Park. Timing of the Southerly change critical to conditions it seems. Too early to tell that.

Screenshot_20190318-152842.jpg

I come in peace.

Anyone heading out to the game there's Trackwork for the weekend.

Trains will not run between Lidcombe and Oly Park, instead get off at Strathfield.
There will also be trains running from Central via Strathfield to Olympic Park.

Buses replace trains between;

Hornsby and North Sydney/Wynyard.

Please note trains are running to a changed timetable for this weekend so check the info at transportnsw.info

Good luck for the weekend. But not too much.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think we will win but it won't tell us anything about either side.

I think we were pretty good at beating teams with one too many injuries last year (west coast) and I think we will do the same here.

As long as we turn up...

I think we will win but it won't tell us anything about either side.

I think we were pretty good at beating teams with one too many injuries last year (west coast) and I think we will do the same here.

As long as we turn up...
You tipped GWS by 39 points in our Facebook group.

I haven't paid so little attention or given as little thought to a footy season in a long time, really switched off from footy this off season.

I have zero idea or expectation, seems from the little I've read recently is that a number of our players have had limited or managed pre seasons. This is never ideal, it's the time when you put in the most work and in the past, players with interrupted pre seasons tend to go on and break down during the season break down. This concerns me. Key fwd and back out for a number of weeks also concern me.

Regardless it's exciting that we are back and I am dreaming of a top 8 finish this year.

Most of all I can't wait for the weekly VelvetSledge write-up on match day.

I come in peace.

Anyone heading out to the game there's Trackwork for the weekend.

Trains will not run between Lidcombe and Oly Park, instead get off at Strathfield.
There will also be trains running from Central via Strathfield to Olympic Park.

I'm a bit confused by this. Looking at Google maps, I thought the line to Olympic Park from Central had to go via Lidcombe. I am getting to the ground ok, but coming home, I need to catch a train to Central. Can I still do it via a train from Olympic Park to Central (via Strathfield) without going through Lidcombe?
And I just looked up the transport NSW site and it said for this weekend the Olympic Park train line would have "no alerts, normal service".
So I'm a bit confused!
Thanks for the info BTW.

I'm a bit confused by this. Looking at Google maps, I thought the line to Olympic Park from Central had to go via Lidcombe. I am getting to the ground ok, but coming home, I need to catch a train to Central. Can I still do it via a train from Olympic Park to Central (via Strathfield) without going through Lidcombe?
And I just looked up the transport NSW site and it said for this weekend the Olympic Park train line would have "no alerts, normal service".
So I'm a bit confused!
Thanks for the info BTW.

No worries mate.

There's a rail link between Lidcombe and Olympic Park. A shuttle service that goes every 10 mins which is a separate line. This is canned for the weekend.

Coming from Strathfield you don't need to go to Lidcombe to get to Olympic Park.
It'll be the same going back. You'll have a service from Olympic Park to Strathfield or all the way to Central.

Think you may have gotten Olympic Park confused with Homebush.

Just to add. They have added an extra stop to the inner west run that usually terminates at Homebush but will instead also go to Olympic Park.
Though have no idea why you would use that run unless you live in the inner west.

71a401b1b975898f6c81af33e017f778.jpg
0299eed07b7e37201e1e233dfbc92e6c.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tomlinson's role is really hard to pick. Generally I just assume he is on the bench and wait and see.

He can play as a KPD, wingman, or as a running half forward flanker who can take a mark. He was even used as a tagger a couple of times last year.

I expect our forward line to be

Delidio, Cameron, De Boer

Greene, Himmelburg, Daniels

Deledio often played across halfback last year when fit. Griffen played forward and took the oppo running back. With Griffen retired I think he'll move forward and either Daniels or De boer will have an eye on Saad.

Expect Cameron and Himmelburg to spend time up on the wing and we'll try to isolate Toby Greene deep. Tactical guess on what we've done before of course.

I think if the bombers can hold up in defence it will be a comfortable win for the bombers.

Ambrose has a big job on Cameron. I feel this matchup is key!

If Cameron gets on top, kicks a few goals and gets the others involved I think GWS can kick a winning score!

Though if the bombers can score 85 points plus, it will be enough to win the game! I don’t think GWS have the scoring power available this game!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So is smack fit this week? Or will we just go with Brown & Stringer up fwd?
If he isn't I'm sure Stewart plays, but he wasn't on the injury list.

I think if the bombers can hold up in defence it will be a comfortable win for the bombers.

Ambrose has a big job on Cameron. I feel this matchup is key!

If Cameron gets on top, kicks a few goals and gets the others involved I think GWS can kick a winning score!

Though if the bombers can score 85 points plus, it will be enough to win the game! I don’t think GWS have the scoring power available this game!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can You leave Daniher alone m8

Baguley played fwd for what, a quarter of the season?
Give him a full run in the fwd line and there's 200 goals
Um, try 2/3 of the season.

No worries mate.
Coming from Strathfield you don't need to go to Lidcombe to get to Olympic Park.
It'll be the same going back. You'll have a service from Olympic Park to Strathfield or all the way to Central.

ok thanks for that.
My problem was that maps of the Sydney rail network (eg see https://www.railmaps.com.au/sydney.htm) and google maps, show no rail link from Strathfield to Olympic Park other than using the loop from Lidcombe. From what you have posted, that isn't right, and you can get a train to and from Olympic Park via Strathfield.

ok thanks for that.
My problem was that maps of the Sydney rail network (eg see https://www.railmaps.com.au/sydney.htm) and google maps, show no rail link from Strathfield to Olympic Park other than using the loop from Lidcombe. From what you have posted, that isn't right, and you can get a train to and from Olympic Park via Strathfield.
No worries mate.

They have direct services on major events and when track work happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back