Preview R1 v St Kilda @ Marvel Stadium (Sunday, March 24)

Remove this Banner Ad

Also I have no idea what Corey Ellis will provide, but we had extremely high hopes for him. He was known as silk.

Was an absolute titan at VFL, accumulator and elite decision making, but just never seemed urgent enough at AFL.
Exactly what I've heard on Ellis....zero intensity!!! About as much as Murdoch gave yesterday....

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Collins is a waste playing as one on one CB , he is a third tall intercept marker.

I actually thought he was really good, but I agree. Wouldn't be playing one on one if Thompson hadn't done his ACL
The way GC always kick to the wing from defence , I rather move Ballard to the wing , yes Ballard intercept a lot of mark but the transition out of defence from GC a big big problem without tall mid to actually mark the ball .

IMO Lukosius and Ballard playing winger so that 2mp don't need to drift back to midfield and mark the ball.

Last edited:
I thought Wright was okay. Would obviously ideally get a bit more of the ball, A few more marks would have made more of an impact. However I thought his contested game was pretty good and decision making and disposal was probably as strong as we have seen from him in a long time.

The way GC always kick to the wing from defence , I rather move Ballard to the wing , yes Ballard intercept a lot of mark but the transition out of defence from GC a big big problem without tall mid to actually mark the ball .

IMO Lukosius and Ballard playing winger so that 2mp don't need to drift back to midfield and mark the ball.
I thought that Powell worked best on the wing. He found good space at times, and with tidier disposal would have propelled us forward more often instead of us getting scored on the way back. However, I like the idea of keeping Lukosius on the wing.

Problem if Wright is drifting into midfield who's going to mark the ball in the forward line ? Burgess and Lukosius are very raw in term of AFL experience.

I thought that Powell worked best on the wing. He found good space at times, and with tidier disposal would have propelled us forward more often instead of us getting scored on the way back. However, I like the idea of keeping Lukosius on the wing.
If Ballard Play on the left wing and Lukosius play on the right , then you don't need Wright to move out of inside 50 that much . GC don't have 1.90 m mid like Patrick Cripps or Fyfe that can mark the ball.

If Ballard Play on the left wing and Lukosius play on the right , then you don't need Wright to move out of inside 50 that much . GC don't have 1.90 m mid like Patrick Cripps or Fyfe that can mark the ball.
That is true, but does Ballard have the motor to play on the wing or in the midfield, running up and back?

I think a wing of Powell and Lukosius is a good start. Very young, but can develop together.

If Ballard can build up the tank and mature, he could defiantly be a weapon to use in the middle of the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Powell is Jack Martin clone .
You were (still are?) A Freo supporter... you know what Fyfe looked like in his first few seasons - could hide behind a goalpost. But you could tell he was special. I see that in Powell. Just depends on whether his body amenable to building up.

You were (still are?) A Freo supporter... you know what Fyfe looked like in his first few seasons - could hide behind a goalpost. But you could tell he was special. I see that in Powell. Just depends on whether his body amenable to building up.
Powell just too short to be like Fyfe , maybe Cotchin.

Read that he was 1.88 now Powell. Thought Fyfe was only 1.90 but I can see similarities
I'm more than happy to admited I am wrong if in a few years time he turn out to be Fyfe like , I see him more like Rioli (Richmond ) type.

I'm more than happy to admited I am wrong if in a few years time he turn out to be Fyfe like , I see him more like Rioli (Richmond ) type.
I can't see that other than they're both forwards. Rioli is blessed with a lot more pace, size, and he's a tenacious tackler. Majority of his disposals or influence comes from the pressure he puts on the opposition defenders and the free's that result either from HTB or turnovers. Powell has much stronger marking, particularly on the lead and overhead. Not as pacy but cleaner pickups and is a lot taller. Has more positional versatility but still very slight, size wise.

I think he actually reminds me more of Jack Gunston play-style wise than any of the aforementioned players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back