Autopsy Round 2 vs Essendon @ Marvel Stadium. 26/03/23 - 2:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

They will keep him for two reasons

1. All the quality coaches we could of landed if we were brave, Clarkson and Lyons lead that list were given the middle finger when we re-signed Dew for another 2 years mid season last year
2. This club is so ******* clueless ( just look at the internal hype pre season) that they will gladly take another spoonful of Dews BS rather than actually admit a mistake

In the Dew era we have seen players the like of Lynch, May, Brodie and 2MP all go on to have vastly superior careers once under a decent coach that allows them to play to their strengths in a team with a gameplan

I didn’t watch todays game as I knew what would happen but I doubt anyone who did could point to
1.a clear gameplan
2. Player breakout performance

He’s had 2.2 years too long already and now the cupboard is bare they have no one to replace him

I remember attending the open training session just 3 weeks ago and I saw no intensity, no fire and most importantly no rockets from the coaching staff as the boys just went through the motions. We are highly likely to be 0-4 in a year that we are supposed to be a finals team, surely even the Dew apologists must be seeing it now, he is our David Noble, great guy, good footy brain but couldn’t coach a foot into a sock
I agree with everything but Lynch was a star here and a star there.

We may be fit but our energy is wasted because we rarely kick the ball to our advantage... We have to work so much harder when we have the ball in hand than other teams. Very little comes easy.

Rowell was solid. Luko good. Weller better than what I thought hed be missing so much footy.

Constable should never play again. Seriously... how many weeks will it take Dew to figure this out.

Ballard very bad. Needs that interceptor role back. Whole backline is a shambles. Mcpherson actually did better than normal today.

Dew needs to go.

Still can't believe how bad ballard was. He's generally pretty reliable so I'm not going to write him off. Every team will be doing whatever they can to get him onto the last line because he's too slow on the lead and not strong enough 1v1. Weller was a positive. Rowell was inspirational. Thought luko was pretty good just struggles a bit when teams lock down on him, I would have subbed out constable and put luko half back personally.

I feel like Farrar would’ve been a good option to switch onto Langford to release Ballard and give us a different look. Too bad he was playing yesterday out the back of ‘the Bank’ instead because… reasons? :drunk:
Once again Dew concertrating on what players can't do rather than concentrating on strengths.
It's in his DNA

Had really High hopes for suns and I know it’s only round 2 but geez if Dew doesn’t pick his team up his gone. To much talent on a list getting played in wrong positions playing players that don’t deserve a game. Okay swans last week one of the best spread and quickest ball movement teams in the competition and he plays 5 big man up forward. Then plays bombers and no real game plan or strategy put in after a practice game a couple of weeks backs. Just expects touk and the other in to get it done without any real structure or direction.
Full overhaul the list managent, recruiters and coaching staff and restart.

Had really High hopes for suns and I know it’s only round 2 but geez if Dew doesn’t pick his team up his gone. To much talent on a list getting played in wrong positions playing players that don’t deserve a game. Okay swans last week one of the best spread and quickest ball movement teams in the competition and he plays 5 big man up forward. Then plays bombers and no real game plan or strategy put in after a practice game a couple of weeks backs. Just expects touk and the other in to get it done without any real structure or direction.
Full overhaul the list managent, recruiters and coaching staff and restart.
They are mostly Dew yes men. If he goes it will be a huge turnover

Most outside observers enjoyed the game. It was highly contested game, both teams cracked in. Wish people recognised that Essendon is a good team especially in the middle and on rebound with a lot of speed. They did play finals 2 years ago with the same team.

As a Suns supporter, I am disappointed. We were probably a better team for 3 quarters, but Essendon got on top of us in the middle in the last quarter. Again, we did not covert. Rosas 2 easy misses hurt a lot but otherwise I liked him. Goals in red time in first 2 quarters cost us. Too many easy goals for Essendon.

I thought for the whole game we struggled to contain Essendon midfield. Witts played better than usual against Draper but a lot of his taps were sharked by Essendon.

Miller tried his heart, but he is still not there with a lot of holding balls, mistakes.

Rowell looked unbelievable. What a warrior. Anderson still way off his best.

Weller was surprisingly good in his return despite some uncharacteristic miskicks and moved well.

King slowly building and looking in good physical shape. It will probably take some time for him to hit the top form.

Luko’s first 5 min was unbelievable.

Hollands and Flanders still disappointing. Long too.

Uwland is a keeper despite a couple of mistakes.

People were jumping on Graham for one stupid spoil in VFL but to be honest he played better than Collins and Ballard today although I would say Collins started to improve a bit after HT.

Not sure what happened to Macpherson but that was easy his best decisions/disposals game.

So pressure builds. Rightly so. Calls for Dew sacking coming.

I actually strangely believe we started our engine and will roll Cats next Sun. It should be a great game, both teams under pump. Not over yet.

It will be interesting to see if Powell plays after half game in VFL.

Come on guys be positive it’s part of the plan

Essendon practice match “it’s only a practice game”

Giants pre season game “it’s only a pre season game”

Swans round 1 “it’s only round 1”

Essendon round 2 “it was at marvel we never win there”

Let’s look forward to next weeks loss “it’s the reigning premiers”

#DEWseless#DEWseless

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on guys be positive it’s part of the plan

Essendon practice match “it’s only a practice game”

Giants pre season game “it’s only a pre season game”

Swans round 1 “it’s only round 1”

Essendon round 2 “it was at marvel we never win there”

Let’s look forward to next weeks loss “it’s the reigning premiers”

#DEWseless#DEWseless
Pin this post so we can keep it going

I remember attending the open training session just 3 weeks ago and I saw no intensity, no fire and most importantly no rockets from the coaching staff as the boys just went through the motions.[/QUOTE]

I was only sharing with friends last night how each Sun's training session I watch has far less intensity than the training sessions we had at under sixteens when I was a kid. I’m not exaggerating. They wander over to the oval like lost cows.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Most outside observers enjoyed the game. It was highly contested game, both teams cracked in. Wish people recognised that Essendon is a good team especially in the middle and on rebound with a lot of speed. They did play finals 2 years ago with the same team.

As a Suns supporter, I am disappointed. We were probably a better team for 3 quarters, but Essendon got on top of us in the middle in the last quarter. Again, we did not covert. Rosas 2 easy misses hurt a lot but otherwise I liked him. Goals in red time in first 2 quarters cost us. Too many easy goals for Essendon.

I thought for the whole game we struggled to contain Essendon midfield. Witts played better than usual against Draper but a lot of his taps were sharked by Essendon.

Miller tried his heart, but he is still not there with a lot of holding balls, mistakes.

Rowell looked unbelievable. What a warrior. Anderson still way off his best.

Weller was surprisingly good in his return despite some uncharacteristic miskicks and moved well.

King slowly building and looking in good physical shape. It will probably take some time for him to hit the top form.

Luko’s first 5 min was unbelievable.

Hollands and Flanders still disappointing. Long too.

Uwland is a keeper despite a couple of mistakes.

People were jumping on Graham for one stupid spoil in VFL but to be honest he played better than Collins and Ballard today although I would say Collins started to improve a bit after HT.

Not sure what happened to Macpherson but that was easy his best decisions/disposals game.

So pressure builds. Rightly so. Calls for Dew sacking coming.

I actually strangely believe we started our engine and will roll Cats next Sun. It should be a great game, both teams under pump. Not over yet.

It will be interesting to see if Powell plays after half game in VFL.
I don't think it was as bad as some make out. I was there live, and was highly contested. Had enough scoring opportunities to win, just have to be better at converting.
Essendon's run was impressive and turnover game. Gotta give them credit.
Was an arm wrestle for 3 quarters, but essendon had the momentum in that 4th quarter. Put in Ellis, Powell eve Farrar and that defence instantly inproves. I do think you guys need another key defender. Maybe Mac Andrew or Brock is that player, not sure. But a ready made player to help out the likes of Collins and Ballard I reckon is a must.

Sign Matt Rowell to a 10 year 400 million deal right now. He's going to leave and find massive success somewhere else and it's going to hurt so bad.

Hollands should not be playing on the wing; doesn't seem to have the tank for it.

Touk and Noah aren't at their best, and when they aren't then we can't win most games.

Need defenders. Anyone, please. Could you imagine if Redman traded jumpers with Constable? We would win the game today.

Didn't watch the last five minutes, but I thought my favorite player Benny Long went alright, even though his forward 50 play where he got chased down was a major brain fade. I still think he needs more time playing at Half Back, since he got bounced around so much at the Saints.

What is the game plan? What should the game plan be?

Again, Matt Rowell. Give him a 10, no, 15 year supermax contract, now.

On Nokia 6.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

we need to bring back in farrah/graham, cos ballard got seriously outplayed. he thrives in the third tall role. absolutely shocking today.

rowell played out of his skin. he was one of the only ones that kept us in it tbh. insane performance hope he gets a business class seat on the flight home!

overall it was the suns of old, 3rd quarter fadeout. i really struggle to see a clear gameplay at times. last year we were humming, moving the ball quick and making less errors. this year just looks like we've taken a step back a couple years in development.

i genuinely thought under the roof we'd play a whole lot better. we're in for some pain next week for dave's 200th. 😩

Well, I didn't get to see the game. Decided to watch the first 3 quarters on replay. Didn’t want to witness another decompsenation.

To let a team with a forward line so young and inexperienced score 100+ is worrying to say the least.

Miller good, but still a bit off his best.

Rowell looking better and better. Got burst back. Gives 100% all game

Anderson started slow but built into it. Had some nice plays but also made a number of basic minor errors that proved costly.

Macpherson. Fantastic game. Opponent had 10 disposals and a goal only. He hit his kicks and often

Lukosius started on fire and did a few good things throughout. Calling for the ball from holman when he marked 25m out was silly and cost a goal. Hardly any pressure acts.. don’t think that will ever change.

King another game into his legs. Wasn't brilliant but I'll take 2 goals from him every week after the ACL. Still looks quick. Not as much space for him on lead when we move it slowly.

Weller looked like he still has his pace. Much needed for us.

Long - unsure if he played well or not. At least one very loose checking event lead to a Langford goal. Didn’t look particularly composed.

Jeffrey should have kicked 3 - or at least 2 goals and a gift to king.

Rosas 2 easy misses combined with his non effort checking Langford when he was clearly the closest one lead to a wide open crumb and snap for Langford’s 4th?

I truly believe we could have put them game away in the 3rd quarter. Should have been 20+ points up.

A number of basic little things across the game, but particularly that quarter just screwed us.

Who was playing on Langford. I saw king, uwland, collins at times.

I remember attending the open training session just 3 weeks ago and I saw no intensity, no fire and most importantly no rockets from the coaching staff as the boys just went through the motions.

I was only sharing with friends last night how each Sun's training session I watch has far less intensity than the training sessions we had at under sixteens when I was a kid. I’m not exaggerating. They wander over to the oval like lost cows.

[/QUOTE]

This was a problem identified years ago and it still hasn’t been rectified. It was suggested that it was because we had too many kids and not enough senior players to drive standards. Our entire football department is just taking the piss now because we’ve got plenty of senior players. Yeah come up to the Goldy for a holiday on lots of $$$ :rolleyes:

This was a problem identified years ago and it still hasn’t been rectified. It was suggested that it was because we had too many kids and not enough senior players to drive standards. Our entire football department is just taking the piss now because we’ve got plenty of senior players. Yeah come up to the Goldy for a holiday on lots of $$$ :rolleyes:
[/QUOTE]
It was the big difference I noticed when Hinkley took training
Bluey was often having a gaff with the staff wandering around
Hinkley drove the players like Richard Williams at a Florida Tennis Camp

Well, I didn't get to see the game. Decided to watch the first 3 quarters on replay. Didn’t want to witness another decompsenation.

To let a team with a forward line so young and inexperienced score 100+ is worrying to say the least.

Miller good, but still a bit off his best.

Rowell looking better and better. Got burst back. Gives 100% all game

Anderson started slow but built into it. Had some nice plays but also made a number of basic minor errors that proved costly.

Macpherson. Fantastic game. Opponent had 10 disposals and a goal only. He hit his kicks and often

Lukosius started on fire and did a few good things throughout. Calling for the ball from holman when he marked 25m out was silly and cost a goal. Hardly any pressure acts.. don’t think that will ever change.

King another game into his legs. Wasn't brilliant but I'll take 2 goals from him every week after the ACL. Still looks quick. Not as much space for him on lead when we move it slowly.

Weller looked like he still has his pace. Much needed for us.

Long - unsure if he played well or not. At least one very loose checking event lead to a Langford goal. Didn’t look particularly composed.

Jeffrey should have kicked 3 - or at least 2 goals and a gift to king.

Rosas 2 easy misses combined with his non effort checking Langford when he was clearly the closest one lead to a wide open crumb and snap for Langford’s 4th?

I truly believe we could have put them game away in the 3rd quarter. Should have been 20+ points up.

A number of basic little things across the game, but particularly that quarter just screwed us.

Who was playing on Langford. I saw king, uwland, collins at times.
I agree with most observations. I actually think it was a pretty good game from both teams, high intensity, good pressure. Essendon could make finals. Some players still struggle for form.

My initial thought is that Long did not really play well, struggled to defend players, panicked.

In the 3rd quarter we were 4/6 with 19 inside 50. That's where we did not take opportunities; Ballard had a brain fade. The lack of conversion as you highlighted killed us again. 4 goals in red time in 1st and 2nd quartes too. Unfortunately, Essendon went harder and longer in the last quarter. Too many mistakes, holding the balls, struggled to contain Essendon midfield.

I believe, it was mostly Ballard on Langford in 4th quarter. It did not look good. Farrar would probably do a decent job on him.

King on First Crack went hard at Ballard and Luko (just logging instead of staying with a player) and suggested dropping Luko.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back