Autopsy Round 2 vs Essendon @ Marvel Stadium. 26/03/23 - 2:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

He had 2020 and 2021 as a full time half back, his second year of playing that position, he averaged 17 kicks a game, I'm happy with that. And I think the improvement from his game will be the intercept marking where he doesn't have to body his opponent, but he needs to have a chat to Peter Wright as what changed for him to become a much more physical player (mentally and physically).
Maybe a coach who didn't consistently remind him of what he's poor at.

Well - I was at the game...so:

Flanders didn't have it, doesn't have it and never will have it.
But when I said that 3 years ago I was told to give him time and that he was the second coming of Ablett?
And then multiple "internal leaks" from pre-season about how he was just primed to go to A grade level this year
Dare I say
"Training the House down??;)
The Magic Dew Pixie Dust he has been sprinkling on himself doesn't come with a money back guarantee I suspect
Maybe it's like Pantene-won't happen overnight but will happen
Of course when he's traded out as a no hoper in a year or two he'll end up playing 200 A grader games with Richmond or Collingwood
Dew will be getting desperate now
His huckster plan of playing young guys through the midfield who get about 6 possessions has come unstuck
He'll have to turn to Anderson

Maybe, I think Jack's got to accept his fair share of blame in this as well
I never buy into the "Not trying" attacks
You walk over the boundary line at AFL level for even one game then you've proven you're brave, motivated and elite
I think unfortunately he just doesn't have a great footy brain
Has all the skills but literally doesn't know where to move, when to hold, when to go with
It's why I was a Brodie and Jarryd Lyons fan
You could tell they both have footy brains and know how to play the game
Compare Anderson and Rowell
Gifted physically and have elite understanding of the game
And what would Holman do with Jack's natural assets?

Lukosius has a beautiful kick, 65.2% of the time. He, therefore, is elite at meters gained. But he is frustratingly below average at everything else (especially contested marking). He is a halfback for me if not a winger.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think if you simplified the game for Lukosius at HB, he could be an absolute weapon. Unfortunately playing at HF or on the Wing you need to know where to run at the right time and it doesn't seem like Lukosius has that down currently. He might not want to play there but it is best for his footy development and the team.

Having both Weller and Lukosius coming off HB would be great in picking through team defences.

Last edited:
He had 2020 and 2021 as a full time half back, his second year of playing that position, he averaged 17 kicks a game, I'm happy with that. And I think the improvement from his game will be the intercept marking where he doesn't have to body his opponent, but he needs to have a chat to Peter Wright as what changed for him to become a much more physical player (mentally and physically).
Time is on his side (not 23 until August) so I’m not totally giving up hope but he needs to start showing more for what we’ve invested in him. It can’t be easy being the third tall in our debacle of a forward line but it just shits me when you see players who are blessed with all the natural talent in the world appear content to coast through a mediocre AFL career on big dollars when us mere mortals would almost have given our left nut for a shot at the big time.

A question for the junior football watchers - did Jack always appear to be so blase in U18s or did he attack the contest harder than he does at AFL level?

I can see Luko as a rebounding third tall down back who has a bit more freedom in his defensive coverage but ideally that's Ballard's role, they have similar frames but Ballard is a proven intercept marker. Will be watching closely to see how he responds next week, assuming he isn't dropped.

For me you just wonder how competitive jack is.

I don’t think you can really make any position work THAT well if you’re not acutely competitive.

I don’t think he can play defence in a meaningful way as he’s just not intense enough. You saw his attitude to defending someone this weekend.

I still like the idea of him as a half forward / winger. That attacking kick from the wing to a central position 80m out or hitting a target in the forward 50 is the hardest kick to pull off and can be the key to scoring.

Let’s not deny that he didn’t have a good game hitting up on the wing and delivering the ball forward.

56621E1A-4A1D-45A6-BB3D-6F66FEF6801D.jpeg

Ideally you want the bulk of these possessions another 30m forward so he is kicking it within 30m of goal rather than kicking it to the arc.

I’m halfway through the second quarter, we’re not s**t…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’ve been too busy to even watch it yet. Won’t have to after we start to turn things around and make a charge for the finals with our favourable draw in the second half of the season and our cunning plan of working into 2023 at a slower pace than previous years :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m halfway through the second quarter, we’re not s**t…

I’m halfway through the third now, and I’m shocked we lost this match.

The pieces are there, Witts, Rowell, Ando,Touk, Luko, rosas even Collins and McPherson, all fantastic.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I think the season is alive.

I’m halfway through the third now, and I’m shocked we lost this match.

The pieces are there, Witts, Rowell, Ando,Touk, Luko, rosas even Collins and McPherson, all fantastic.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I think the season is alive.

I really think the key missing ingredients are confidence and knowing how to win. We’ve been poor / mediocre for so long, it’s just not ingrained in the team.

I really think the key missing ingredients are confidence and knowing how to win. We’ve been poor / mediocre for so long, it’s just not ingrained in the team.
Just that confidence to take the game away from the opposition.
Was there on a plate and with a little bit more composure in that third quarter we go into the final break 20+ points up. I think we win from there.

Definately the one thing missing is a winning culture.
And yet the Club keeps acting like a Sydney or Geelong-playing project youngsters
We need Foreign Legion mercenary hard nuts who know how to win-but we can't attract them
But playing Hollands Rosas Flanders Davies and Uhland in the same team isn't the answer-at the moment

And yet the Club keeps acting like a Sydney or Geelong-playing project youngsters
We need Foreign Legion mercenary hard nuts who know how to win-but we can't attract them
But playing Hollands Rosas Flanders Davies and Uhland in the same team isn't the answer-at the moment
We were both older and more game experienced than essendon at the weekend.
(Only just)

I was only thinking about this earlier today.

Some players really lack confidence and hunger to win you see some players make a small mistake and beat themselves up then lose energy and effort drops completely off. It only takes a couple of player to drop off like that and can expose a lot of areas

I was only thinking about this earlier today.

Some players really lack confidence and hunger to win you see some players make a small mistake and beat themselves up then lose energy and effort drops completely off. It only takes a couple of player to drop off like that and can expose a lot of areas
A big reason we often see those 4-5 goal runs against us.

Wish we could channel Collingwoods belief. You know they never believe they’re out of the contest.

A big reason we often see those 4-5 goal runs against us.

Wish we could channel Collingwoods belief. You know they never believe they’re out of the contest.

You go back and watch old press conferences from bluey and rocket and see how many times they mention the players went into their shells and it’s still happening under dew

You go back and watch old press conferences from bluey and rocket and see how many times they mention the players went into their shells and it’s still happening under dew
It's just an old saying that coaches use, I can guarantee you would hear the same from John Longmire back when Stuey was an assistant.

It's like when they say after a loss that there's some learnings from this.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back