Autopsy Round 2 vs Essendon @ Marvel Stadium. 26/03/23 - 2:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Typical Suns performance ,tried hard but lack class and composure to win the the game
Right now North,St Kilda and Essendon would be dreaming of playing finals ,doubt it will happen but at least they can dream.
Suns supporters are having nightmares that we could be playing Hawthorn to see who wins the wooden spoon.
WHAT HAS GONE WRONG!
Unlike most I believe we have just a middle of the road list.
Defence lacks height and most have poor disposal.
Midfield has no quality depth once Miller Rowell and Anderson rest.
Forward line is all hit and miss , none are consistent goal kickers.
A disappointing fact which players are playing better than 12 months ago,
Rowell and Witts are the only two I can find.
Who do you blame , all the coaches not just Dew ,the lack of developement in our young players is alarming.
List manager Craig Cameron has given us nothing to be excited with.Compare us Sydneys draft over the years.
Parker pick 40 Warner 39 Hayward 21 Gulden 32 McInerney 44 Papley Rookie12 ,group of top 22 players.
Collingwood recruit Mitchell McStay and Hill
Suns recruit Long and Berry fringe players at best.
Our current squad has too many average players
Constable Fiorini Macpherson Holman Long Casboult are all plodders at best.
Holland Flanders Rosas yet to show they can be good consistent AFL players.
Add all the players down on form ,no wonder we are struggling.
Have always been a believer the only way forward for the Suns is to find some real Diamonds through the Academy,lets hope
sooner rather than later.
Will be going next week with the grandsons ,just hope I can be more positive by game time.
Tough being a SUNS supporter.

Typical Suns performance ,tried hard but lack class and composure to win the the game
Right now North,St Kilda and Essendon would be dreaming of playing finals ,doubt it will happen but at least they can dream.
Suns supporters are having nightmares that we could be playing Hawthorn to see who wins the wooden spoon.
WHAT HAS GONE WRONG!
Who do you blame , all the coaches not just Dew ,the lack of developement in our young players is alarming.
List manager Craig Cameron has given us nothing to be excited with.Compare us Sydneys draft over the years.
Parker pick 40 Warner 39 Hayward 21 Gulden 32 McInerney 44 Papley Rookie12 ,group of top 22 players.
Have always been a believer the only way forward for the Suns is to find some real Diamonds through the Academy,lets hope
Will be going next week with the grandsons ,just hope I can be more positive by game time.
I understand the frustration, believe me after that last quarter I'm frustrated too.

But finals are literally 6 months away, right now North are giving me Suns in 2019 vibes. (Confidence up, winning some really close games).

Our next 3 weeks set the season up Geelong, St Kilda & Freo.

This is where Dew has to earn his pay check.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

WHAT HAS GONE WRONG!
Supporters always overrate their list
It's the nature of being a supporter
I agree we have a middle of the road list
Big big big gap between our best 6 and worst 6
As I've mentioned there's always this hopium that some magic pixie dust was sprinkled around Carrara in November that turned them all into A graders
Nup

WHAT HAS GONE WRONG!
Who has thought we have anything better than a middle of the road list?

I definitely think we've got the makings of a good team. But we obviously are far from a good team at present.
Who are our actual 'good' players right now

Witts, Miller, Ainsworth, Anderson, Rowell, King (assuming he gets back to his best)

That's about it.

Powell, Weller, Swallow a level below IMO

Ellis, Collins, Ballard, Chol are decent, but all flawed.

The rest are either all potential but minimal actual output to date - Lukosius, Rosas, Jeffrey, Humphrey, Hollands, Budarick etc..
OR
Fringe level AFL players - Lemmens, Holman, Fiorini etc..

In saying that, I think there has been more improvement when looking at the past 12 months than you recognise.

Anderson has gone to another level, Rowell looks like he will
Ainsworth became a very good half forward last year
Jeffrey has kicked goals in each of his last 6 games and is now a regular in the team
Rosas looks like he can provide pressure and kick goals - but is still certainly unproven and way too inconsistent
Our VFL team went from 14th to top 4 last year shows that there was improvement across the list.

We need this improvement to be rapid and widespread for this season to be considered even at the minimum required.

Last edited:
Yah, that vision was damning.
At last someone who says it like it is. Seriously, with his lack of effort sometimes he needs to be dropped until he learns what it means to be a professional. DMac or Seany Lemmens have a fraction of his talent but at least they would bleed for this club.

Come on guys be positive it’s part of the plan

Essendon practice match “it’s only a practice game”

Giants pre season game “it’s only a pre season game”

Swans round 1 “it’s only round 1”

Essendon round 2 “it was at marvel we never win there”

Let’s look forward to next weeks loss “it’s the reigning premiers”

#DEWseless#DEWseless
We also increased our percentage by about +9% from Round 1 :thumbsu:

I actually thought it was one of Luko's best games. The criticism is still valid but he actually looked to be adjusting to his role.

I'm more worried about players like Flanders and Constable
Yeah, I also thought he was good.
Started very well - important for us given the poor poor starts.

Our inside 50s have to be the worst of any team. One thing I noticed when Sexton came on is that he actually knows how to lead to the ball or dupe his defender, turning his defenders out and getting into space nicely.

King also made a nice lead and it was good to see him kick a couple.

But generally we’re too congested and moving too slowly or we just can’t kick—especially to advantage!

Dmac’s kicking surprised me out of defence. He’s learnt to go the short pass option, which is much more in his kicking skill zone. A few other defenders should try it…
Yeah, I also thought he was good.
Started very well - important for us given the poor poor starts.
Luko criticism is fair in some regards. His running style doesn’t help, as it’s very casual looking.

But he is also our third key forward. The media comparing his running to a midfielder like Rowell or Miller is completely unfair. It’s the downside of him hanging on a wing at times. He can win in the air, but a foot race isn’t how he wins (in fact, none of our “wingers” are gonna win on speed…)

But he definitely did a lot of things right and led to a lot of our scores. He was a main reason we were dominant in the 1st 10 minutes of the game.

Of course the media can drag players. We lost. If we won, they’d be discussing how amazing his first 10 minutes were and how pathetic Essendon defenders were and how it is a “coach killer” in giving him so much space to kick.

Not saying he shouldn’t be criticised or has nothing to improve, but he’s essentially a tall forward who we force to play a lot higher up the ground. We get the advantages and disadvantages of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At last someone who says it like it is. Seriously, with his lack of effort sometimes he needs to be dropped until he learns what it means to be a professional. DMac or Seany Lemmens have a fraction of his talent but at least they would bleed for this club.

Our inside 50s have to be the worst of any team. One thing I noticed when Sexton came on is that he actually knows how to lead to the ball or dupe his defender, turning his defenders out and getting into space nicely.

King also made a nice lead and it was good to see him kick a couple.

But generally we’re too congested and moving too slowly or we just can’t kick—especially to advantage!

Dmac’s kicking surprised me out of defence. He’s learnt to go the short pass option, which is much more in his kicking skill zone. A few other defenders should try it…

Luko criticism is fair in some regards. His running style doesn’t help, as it’s very casual looking.

But he is also our third key forward. The media comparing his running to a midfielder like Rowell or Miller is completely unfair. It’s the downside of him hanging on a wing at times. He can win in the air, but a foot race isn’t how he wins (in fact, none of our “wingers” are gonna win on speed…)

But he definitely did a lot of things right and led to a lot of our scores. He was a main reason we were dominant in the 1st 10 minutes of the game.

Of course the media can drag players. We lost. If we won, they’d be discussing how amazing his first 10 minutes were and how pathetic Essendon defenders were and how it is a “coach killer” in giving him so much space to kick.

Not saying he shouldn’t be criticised or has nothing to improve, but he’s essentially a tall forward who we force to play a lot higher up the ground. We get the advantages and disadvantages of that.
If that's true he's the worst contested marking 'tall forward' l've ever seen.

I still don’t think he belongs in the forward line
Agree. He might have been really good at junior level, but at AFL level he just doesn’t have the tools - lacks strength, is not a strong mark, kicking at goal is sub-par for such a good field kick, does not “command” the ball etc.
I’m really not sure where his best position lies, as he’s a bit soft and slow in defence as well and doesn’t appear to have the endurance required for midfield. Not sure the coaching staff have figured it out yet either!!

Agree. He might have been really good at junior level, but at AFL level he just doesn’t have the tools - lacks strength, is not a strong mark, kicking at goal is sub-par for such a good field kick, does not “command” the ball etc.
I’m really not sure where his best position lies, as he’s a bit soft and slow in defence as well and doesn’t appear to have the endurance required for midfield. Not sure the coaching staff have figured it out yet either!!
Yeah I think that's the issue, his skillset doesn't easily fit anywhere without his flaws holding him back, for the foreseeable future I think he should play more limited minutes where he can play full gas and have high impact possessions. But I don't know if we can afford that luxury.

Yeah I think that's the issue, his skillset doesn't easily fit anywhere without his flaws holding him back, for the foreseeable future I think he should play more limited minutes where he can play full gas and have high impact possessions. But I don't know if we can afford that luxury.
He's a rebounding HB surely

He would have played majority on the wing against essendon? 10 mins of brilliance and then does what he does and goes missing. At least at half back he is fed the ball, like Daicos was last year at Collingwood. He needs to be dropped until he tears games apart for 4 quarters or shipped to the backlines.

Well - I was at the game...so:

Dmac played his best game for ages if not ever.

Rowell is back to his debut season best.

Collins and Ballard - have they fallen out? No connect there at all.

Flanders didn't have it, doesn't have it and never will have it.

Holman spent more time at the hair salon than training it would seem.

Bit harsh on Constable - how can you expect a bloke who has played a couple of games in 3 yrs to suddenly be the designated kick-in and not be a bag of nerves? The guy has only played FOURTEEN GAMES in his whole career at AFL level. Persist for a few more games.

Touk continues to play for Touk.

The problem is the bloke in the box. Dew must go.

The Good: Rowell & Levi (wish we had him 5 yrs ago - he's busted up but still tries) - plus the increasing number of Suns fans at Vic games

The Bad: Stewart Dew - no plan, no changes, no friggin idea

The Ugly: Nick Holmans hair - honestly the TV does not do justice to that monstrosity.

the Very Ugly: Essendon Fans - what a salty aggressive bunch of pricks some of their fan base are. I was there with my wife, so I don't know why some of those nearby had to be so verbally aggressive toward us, and other Suns fans nearby.

The End: Of Stewart Dew - stolen a living for too long. Time to Foxtrot Oscar while there is enough time to change things for this season.

Hate this. We are proof that half backs, wings, pressure forwards and EQUAL importance to a team's success. If he goes back and is an All Australian half back play maker we would be stoked.
If he did that and turned into an AA halfback, or even Adam Saad level I would gladly eat my words. Just can’t see it happening. Time will tell but how much time do we have?

If he did that and turned into an AA halfback, or even Adam Saad level I would gladly eat my words. Just can’t see it happening. Time will tell but how much time do we have?
He had 2020 and 2021 as a full time half back, his second year of playing that position, he averaged 17 kicks a game, I'm happy with that. And I think the improvement from his game will be the intercept marking where he doesn't have to body his opponent, but he needs to have a chat to Peter Wright as what changed for him to become a much more physical player (mentally and physically).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back