Preview Geelong v Melbourne Sat 30 March at GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who thinks Geelong will try and rough up Gawn, which has been shown several times now to be effective in putting him off his game? Well documented.

This is why I think Darcy Fort should come in. Let Stanley run Gawn all over the ground and exhaust him, then have Fort play very physically. It could be an effective tag team.

Who thinks Geelong will try and rough up Gawn, which has been shown several times now to be effective in putting him off his game? Well documented.

Not me, we lack these types of players, to play tough - especially big men. If there's a player who will give us a hiding this week, it'll be Gawn.

I'd prefer we work him over by having Stanley and Sav run him off his legs and force him to defend a player rather than sit in the hole in our forward line.

This is why I think Darcy Fort should come in. Let Stanley run Gawn all over the ground and exhaust him, then have Fort play very physically. It could be an effective tag team.
Fort doesnt deserve a game after how poor he was in the jlt. He should be made to earn it with repeated strong vfl performances. I reckon abbott is already ahead of him.

I'm just interested to see how our MC think we'll go about earning some redemption for last year. Dees might be seething from last week. But I am feeling the mood at KP is they have been preparing 6 months for this game. I expect fireworks, no matter who is in the team. Anything less and you're dropped for round 3 I think that much will be true.

I'm just interested to see how our MC think we'll go about earning some redemption for last year. Dees might be seething from last week. But I am feeling the mood at KP is they have been preparing 6 months for this game. I expect fireworks, no matter who is in the team. Anything less and you're dropped for round 3 I think that much will be true.

I don't really get that impression and I really hope that's not our approach. The fact is last year happened and there's no changing that. Winning an important but comparatively meaningless home and away game doesn't erase the final last year.

It's the same reason I won't get too excited about last week. There were some promising signs in terms of game style but ultimately we just outlasted a team coming off a short preseason who didn't play that well. The win is important for getting us into a strong position for finals and it's the same for this week but we'll need to improve and that's what we should be concentrating on rather than some rubbish idea of redemption.

I don't really get that impression and I really hope that's not our approach. The fact is last year happened and there's no changing that. Winning an important but comparatively meaningless home and away game doesn't erase the final last year.

It's the same reason I won't get too excited about last week. There were some promising signs in terms of game style but ultimately we just outlasted a team coming off a short preseason who didn't play that well. The win is important for getting us into a strong position for finals and it's the same for this week but we'll need to improve and that's what we should be concentrating on rather than some rubbish idea of redemption.

Could the reason Collingwood didn't play that well last Friday night be due to the fact we didn't allow them to?

A Mile too early.. We won the game... and Sav played against Moore who was impressive.probably a similar leap.

He is a young KPF.. he will have up and down performances for years .. just think on Hawkins. It took years..

You can't wait years, that's why there's a reserves team.
I'd leave him where he is and bring in Abbott for Stanley and Sav.
If you can't win in the ruck and or key fwd positions you probably won't go to far.
I think Richmond realized this brought in Lynch for Jack and also playing Balta for Nank chopout.

Last edited:
Why would we change our ruck set-up, it worked perfectly fine against best ruck in league?

You'll run Stanley into the ground that's why. He's going to be stuffed and then what?
Sav's struggling enough without double duties, we need Abbott to help out both.
Abbott can play swingman as well, that's the most dynamic change we can make moving forward imo.
His form has been awesome as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd bring in Henderson for Kolo. I think he is the better player just plain and simple.

I know he is young, but he took 0 marks. 0 shots at goal too. I'm not sure I'd keep him in the Seniors if his output remains that level by end of round 3.

Hawkins on the other hand showed a lot more talent when he was the same age. We just stuffed Hawkins around in the ruck for a while at the start, which was silly imo. I used to scream play him Full Forward and just leave him there. Having said that, he did have to contend with Mooney and Podsiadly early in his career, which is probably why they experimented with him in the ruck at times.

It would depend on multiple factors. He can play his role by just help in the ruck and playing the decoy. He is coming off last year.. we may not even see his best games for a while...but because he is young his low last week could easily be matched with a high this week. And Melb last week had an issue with their KPD

You can't wait years, that's why there's a reserves team.
I'd leave him there and bring in Abbott for Stanley and Sav.
If you can't win in the ruck and or key fwd positions you probably won't go to far.
I think Richmond realized this brought in Lynch for Jack and also playing Balta for Nank chopout.

You need more than one game to base that on... but he will take years to be consistant. Hawk was a 2016 draft.. and it might be the 2011 season before he was really ready to be the main player. And sav was a rawer player.. he was not considered a #1 draft prospect. There will be a point where some time in the VFL is the right way to go but not yet.

Could the reason Collingwood didn't play that well last Friday night be due to the fact we didn't allow them to?

Absolutely! But i think the performance wasn't dominant enough to get massively excited. To me it was very much like round 1 2011. We looked poor for a fair bit of the game but found something in the second half to get the win. If we can develop and improve from here over the next couple of months I'll be super excited but there's a long way to go. And beating Melbourne on our home ground where we won't play finals in a round 2 match is in no way redemption for last year's final.

The ruck set up will be discussed at selection I believe this week, the question will be do they try and attack Gawn more by bringing in Abbott or Fort for support or go with the status quo,they will be mindful of the 5 day turnaround to the Crows on the following Thursday night that complicated things,my feeling is they go with Stanley and Sav for this one and all out to get these 4 points up for grabs this week at home.
We in my opinion may see up to 3 or 4 players managed then v the Crows.

I agree redemption is a rubbish idea. But as had been said by multiple people inside and outside the club that they have been pouring back over that game and modifying our game plan. If you don't think that re-enforces the message then you haven't been watch. This game is our first chance to try out the new plans against the opposition that finished our 2018 campaign. If you don't think every player will be bending over backwards to show it works then I would ask why you think that.

You need more than one game to base that on... but he will take years to be consistant. Hawk was a 2016 draft.. and it might be the 2011 season before he was really ready to be the main player. And sav was a rawer player.. he was not considered a #1 draft prospect. There will be a point where some time in the VFL is the right way to go but not yet.

Sav can jump around the forwardline for all l care but to make him ruck to give Stanley a rest is to much for the young guy.
Let him be a CHF/FF!!!
Any wonder Moore killed him.
What concerns me is Stanley, midfielders rotate off the bench but this guy's expected to run all day get bashed in the ruck and somehow keep running fast for 4 quarters or he's a failure.
I mean where's the serious ruck backup there is none.
Lose the ruck and clearance advantage that Stanley brought and we wouldn't have celebrated a win.
He won't do it for long by himself that's for sure.

Last edited:
Stanley will beat Gawn on Saturday, the same way he beat Grundy.
He will compete, he will wear him down, he will finish the game running.
Gawn will win a few hitouts, but when the ball hits the ground he will look like a T-Rex up against Velociraptor.
Preuss is the same. Good at stoppages but gets less touches than a goal post.

Kolo out for a small

We should beat Melbourne it's too early in the season for outside teams to do well as their skills aren't up to it yet. Being at home is a further advantage.

Should win by 5+ goals

Agree. Unless we come out to hunt them down, we'll get beaten badly.

You could say that about any team

I hope Geel come out with a big 1st qtr and pile on the goals - and Melb ( where going to be fired up blah blah ) that will disintegrate pretty quickly

I wouldnt mind it pretty windy as well - opposition teams really struggle kicking goals when it is windy at Geel

. If he went elsewhere and played to his usual level, "you"'d be saying "why didn't he do that with us". (You as in plenty)
Varcoe is a prime example.

After trying to rough up the captain in a pretty aggresive and crude way ( and showing no respect at all; ) and giving away a stupid and very costly free kick - well in future i wont be barracking for him in neutral games where ex Geel players are involved

Conversely big Dawson Simpson - very pleased to see how well he played on Sunday - ditto McCarthy and Josh Walker at the Lions - and Menzel and Thurlow if they get a game for the Swans

However Varcoe - after Friday nights game - i couldnt care less if he went kickless for the rest of his career .

Kolo out for a small

We should beat Melbourne it's too early in the season for outside teams to do well as their skills aren't up to it yet. Being at home is a further advantage.

Should win by 5+ goals
You’re very likely to win on the weekend; however, we are the antithesis of an outside team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back