Preview Geelong v Melbourne Sat 30 March at GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be worth taking advantage of it and sending him forward (on occasion).

How desperate will the Dees be if they tag Selwood where he will play 85% of his game time - on the wing ! :eek:
Dees are playing for pride redemption this week - if our new look team can withstand that and bring home the choccies that would be a very positive sign :thumbsu:

I have a feeling Scott's talking it up in the media. We'll still come out hard on them. Even if Scott says we won't, I have a feeling the players will band together and hatch a plan like Port did to rough up both Gawn and the whole team.

I don't mind the idea of starting Ratugolea in the ruck, his body size can knock Gawn over early and shake them up. First contest, give him a fair knock in the ruck, just like Ottens did to Jolly at the start of the 2011 GF. And they won't be expecting Sav in the middle early either, they'll be tipping Stanley to start, which throws their pre-game plans

Wrong decision, play it fair first up so the umps don't get whistle happy then gradually ramp it up so the umpires never feel like they're out of control of the match. Late in the game when their poor conditioning is starting to show is the time to hit overdrive

Oh I know, but Melbourne used the same amount of aggression and force on Selwood to what Port applied to Gawn last weekend which was my point. Like many taggers have. Greenwood being another.

Now they're sulking.

Now you'd think a club like Melbourne whose players pride themselves on the tough looking image - with the tattoos, etc - would be able to withstand a bit of heat.

Yeah it's never a good look when any team bitches and complains. They all do it, so when you're on the receiving end don't whinge.

I'm going Guthrie for Miers for the meat tray.

I could live with that but will be melting all over the place if they pick Henderson and there is no forced change that requires the selection.
Considering how much they wanted to bring forward pressure into out game, guthrie for miers will do the exact opposite.

Yeah it's never a good look when any team bitches and complains. They all do it, so when you're on the receiving end don't whinge.
It's a deflection.
What they should be doing is whinging about how they couldn't stand up to a bit of pressure.
At least that would make the players have a good hard look at themselves.

It's a deflection.
What they should be doing is whinging about how they couldn't stand up to a bit of pressure.
At least that would make the players have a good hard look at themselves.

Well....... Wasn't it them who couldn't even cop a pre-season camp?

I suspect you are right, but l just don't get peoples expectations of Stanley.

This way you get your 3 or 4 top games followed by a month or more of tied ordinary then out come the whingers calling for him to be dropped when we start losing a few.
What's the cost, a small,.. who's around the cusp..won't upset a thing, but at the moment we stand to risk Stanley through fatigue or injury and forward functionality for a 22nd player.
Doesn't make sense to me.

After the bye when our draw gets far easier I'd be looking to rotate him out more and maybe bring in Abbott as a support act but until then give him a block of sustained attack on the better sides in the comp

I think it'll take the wind out of their sails completely if we utterly refuse to react or retaliate to any physically aggressive tactics they use, or employ them ourselves.

Doing so will give them the trigger, the motivation they desperately seek, whereas if we just focus on playing footy it'll force them to do the same and throw them off balance, because strangely enough I don't think the footy is their primary focus this week.

Especially if we defend like last week. Ignore the rough stuff and focus on ball and ball carrier.

Melbourne lurkers will vouch for his kicking ;)

Very clever - i didnt think of that angle

Gary Buckenara introducing himself to long time Melbourne supporters

Would be like Paul Barry ( Investigative journalist ) introducing himself and giving his business card to Allan Bond ( and what followed was hilarious )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most realise he has limitations.

It's a bit of the father/son romanticism going on with Bews junior. He displays his old man's grunt but that's about it.

Its not about romanticism its about recognising we have no better small defender (you could call that a list mgt failure but it is what it is). Now there are days that the pressure from our mids and 18 man defensive system works well enough that it covers our lack of small defenders but there are times its exposed and thats why you play your best small defender until you develop better options.

For the meat tray. Guthrie in, a debutant (likely Miers) out 'injured' with the aim to bring him in for the Adelaide game for somebody who struggles to get up with the 5 day break. More melts than a fondue restaurant to ensue.

You could be right, but I sincerely hope not.

One brings the forward pressure we've so desperately needed, and the other runs around in circles down the ground.

Not sure why anyone would struggle after just 2 games, even if just a 5 day break..... But admittedly it is a convenient excuse they've often used.

Would be a very poor message from the MC if they go down this path.

Official selected team
B: J Henry, M Blicavs, M O’Connor
HB: J Kolodjashnij, H Taylor, T Stewart
C: J Selwood, P Dangerfield, M Duncan
HF: L Dahlhaus, E Ratugolea, T Atkins
F: G Ablett, T Hawkins, G Rohan
R: R Stanley, T Kelly, B Parfitt
I/C: J Clark, G Miers, C Constable, S Menegola
EM: L Henderson, Z Guthrie, J Jones, R Abbott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad