Adam Goodes declines Hall of Fame invitation

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you take offence at being called a dickhead?

Asking for everyone.

Not really.

Being called a Dickhead is far less serious than being called a Racist.

Not really.

Being called a Dickhead is far less serious than being called a Racist.
Yeah, so maybe dont come in here all high and mighty and start accusing people of being racist with the sly back door methods you seem to enjoy parading around. It speaks very little for you as a decent fucnctioning worthwhile member of society.

He was taught it by an under 15's Indigenous team called the Flying Boomerangs and the throwing action was supposed to reflect a boomerang not a spear. His use of the war dance would have meant so much to those kids. It's unreal that this information has been available for years now and people still cite that Carlton incident as a justifiable reason to boo the man.

Apologies if this has already been addresses...The 'War Dance' directed at the Carlton supporters was a complete surprise on the night which caused obvious misunderstanding due to how unique and unprecedented that it was at the time.
To compare it to the Haka is different as the Haka is a known 'War Dance' prior to a sporting event that is directed towards the opposing team and not the crowd which the crowd observes and I'd say enjoys in unison, I know I love it.
Even if the action was to demonstrate the throwing of a boomerang the overall perception was the throwing of a spear. If you challenge the crowd with such a dance then I think you've given up all right to dictate to them how they should respond with booing the most likely option.

No, this isn't always the case.

Institutional Racism is sometimes called Systemic Racism.
Societal Racism is sometimes called Systemic Racism.

yes they are........

They are both defined as racism through the use of Rules and Policies in either society or an organization to create disadvantages for a certain race of people.

If someone is using the term Systemic Racism as a means to portray general social racism than they are using the term wrong.

Yeah, so maybe dont come in here all high and mighty and start accusing people of being racist with the sly back door methods you seem to enjoy parading around. It speaks very little for you as a decent fucnctioning worthwhile member of society.

agreed.

that guy was stupid

Can we agree Adam lacks diplomacy?

Could he also lack empathy?

Looking at the diminutive Eddie Betts who is just sheer class and not everything given to him either surely.

Eddie does not suffer from small man syndrome clearly!!

If Adam was Eddie's height would this have happened??

Eddie can rise above the crap with such ease such is the strength of Eddie despite his height and ignoring the crap he would have surely received at times over his journey

Last edited:
yes they are........

They are both defined as racism through the use of Rules and Policies in either society or an organization to create disadvantages for a certain race of people.

If someone is using the term Systemic Racism as a means to portray general social racism than they are using the term wrong.
Language and terms evolve. These are regularly used interchangeably. To act like they are not is disingenuous.

I also see you've now edited your comment from earlier so I'll make my position clear. If you think that in present Australia there are no communities disadvantaged through bias in our education systems, media, justice departments, health systems etc. then I have no idea what to tell you. I have no interest in engaging with you to be honest.

Language and terms evolve. These are regularly used interchangeably. To act like they are not is disingenuous.

I also see you've now edited your comment from earlier so I'll make my position clear. If you think that in present Australia there are no communities disadvantaged through bias in our education systems, media, justice departments, health systems etc. then I have no idea what to tell you. I have no interest in engaging with you to be honest.
This x 10000

Appears to be ignorant or just disregarding the actually reality of what goes on in Australia society

I disagree on the definition front. If people want to use terms loosely than who am I to argue, all i can say is what the term actually is defined as.

But in regards to the bolded bit above I did not say they weren't. There are always going to be people who are racist, in every country in the world. This is how they are brought up and more education needs to be put into kids at a young age so they can understand history, understand where we went wrong and how we can move forward as one.

What I took offence with, and i'm not sure if you agree or not, but I do not believe that Australia is Generally racist - IE 25 million people are generally racist. I asked the person who said this to justify it, and they still haven't. if we cant agree on that than agreed, don't quote/engage with me again.

Last edited:

Looking at the diminutive Eddie Betts who is just sheer class and not everything given to him either surely.

Eddie can rise above the crap with such ease such is the strength of Eddie
lol, theres s**t takes, and then theres this.

He was probably booed for glassing a woman, eye gouging, kicking opponents when he marked, coward-punching players, drink driving...

.. oh wait.

lol, theres sh*t takes, and then theres this.

Why, Eddie puts a smile on my face??

Adam, worries me

I look at Eddie on the TV like with Jack on AFL360 and I see a gentle soul that is at peace despite the bashings he would have received. Eddie is a happy content man

Eddie has a better, more inviting smile than Johnson of the Bulldogs if thats possible, and it comes from the heart completely unobtrusive and transparent and open bare

I look at Eddie and I see someone comfortable, rested, someone happy in his environment, someone connected with understanding

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adam, worries me

There are reasons why Adam was originally booed and reasons why it escalated beyond an acceptable level.

They are totally unrelatable to Eddie Betts who went about challenging racism in a much less confrontational way than Adam did.

Eddie can rise above the crap with such ease such is the strength of Eddie despite his height and ignoring the crap he would have surely received at times over his journey
Can we agree that you only like Aboriginal activists that don't rustle your jimmies?

Some activists are angry and they have every right to be. It's not their responsibility to manage the fragile sensitivities of others.

It was of little consequence to supporters when KB went into self-exile; RFC continued irregardless, and so it will be with footy. Having turned it down once, I’m not sure he should be asked again.
The AFL has less integrity than Goodes, they want the brand marketing regardless of inaction at the time, everything is fine folks, and to this end, will repeat the offer in the future, front or back channel. Goodes will decline again. Footy has lost relevance to him, it needs him more than the other way.

I disagree on the definition front. If people want to use terms loosely than who am I to argue, all i can say is what the term actually is defined as.

But in regards to the bolded bit above I did not say they weren't. There are always going to be people who are racist, in every country in the world. This is how they are brought up and more education needs to be put into kids at a young age so they can understand history, understand where we went wrong and how we can move forward as one.

What I took offence with, and i'm not sure if you agree or not, but I do not believe that Australia is Generally racist - IE 25 million people are generally racist. I asked the person who said this to justify it, and they still haven't. if we cant agree on that than agreed, don't quote/engage with me again.
I guess if you’re not affected or have any negative experiences with racism then you can make ignorant statements to justify why the racism that exist in THIS county.

but but other countries are more racist !! It exists everywhere...it just the lack of education...et al

and yet in the same breath states that Australia doesn’t have a racism issue.

What a shock 🙄

Translated as "Know your place"

There’s a lot of factors that went into the Goodes booing saga. (Racism, media talking about it 24/7, media baiting people, mob mentality, alcohol at the footy, the tribal nature of footy, AFL’s weak statement that was way to late etc.) Even just the fact the Hawks game in 2015 was immediately before the Carlton game. Space those two out and the media probably can’t get the fire going.

Regardless of why the people booed, the end result is a legend of the game being hounded out of the sport by fans and media. This will never be ok. We talk about dark days for footy with clubs cheating. But this is one of the fan’s darkest moments that went on for months.

Now that the dust has had time to settle, you’d think people would not be ok about what happened. From those who Booed at the game to those posting on Facebook and Bigfooty about how it’s “ok to boo” Goodes.

This is something I hope no other footballer or sportsman in the world has to go through ever again. Racism and bullying is never ok.

I guess if you’re not affected or have any negative experiences with racism then you can make ignorant statements to justify the racism that exist in THIS county.

What a shock 🙄

well I was called a Wog when I was a kid, but I wouldn't exactly compare that to what Adam and other Aboriginal players face, they obviously copped much much much worse.

Again, I didn't say it Racism didn't exist. I'm not sure if you can actually read but I clearly said Racism does exist in Australia, ,like it does every country in the known world. I mean you even bolded it when you quoted me, so I don't know how you missed it....

I just said 25 million of us aren't racist. Which is the assertion you made when you said Australia is Generally racist.

Adam, worries me

I look at Eddie on the TV like with Jack on AFL360 and I see a gentle soul that is at peace despite the bashings he would have received. Eddie is a happy content man

Eddie has a better smile than Johnson of the Bulldogs if thats possible, and it comes from the heart completely unobtrusive and transparent and open bare
the idea that two people must react the same to similar trauma is not even absurd, its just stupidity. And thats ignoring the fact that goodes suffered so much more than eddie.

you have no valuable contribution to add to this conversation.

Don't know why I'm wasting my time trying to explain hundreds of years of systemic racism to a bunch of bogan footy fans. But basically here's what we know:

- Adam was called a racial slur by a member of the crowd.
- The crowd continued booing him even after he made it clear he saw it as racially motivated (and this is up to him AND HIM ALONE to decide) You cannot tell a person of colour what their experience is.
- The only two people of colour to be driven out of the game (Goodes and Lumumba) both fought against this systemic racism. There is no coincidence here.

You can say you booed him for any number of bullshit reasons. The truth is that if you continued to boo him after he made it clear how it affected him, you're a horrible human, a racist, or both.

The AFL has less integrity than Goodes, they want the brand marketing regardless of inaction at the time, everything is fine folks, and to this end, will repeat the offer in the future, front or back channel. Goodes will decline again. Footy has lost relevance to him, it needs him more than the other way.

Oh I'm not taking the AFL's side. Goodes' playing achievements will stand for all time, whether or not he's in the HoF. He's trying to embarrass the AFL but after the initial stir dissipates, I don't think his stance will have any lasting effect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back