Preview Round 1, 2024: Geelong v St.Kilda - GMHBA Stadium, Saturday 16th March, 7:30PM AEDT *COLLARD, WILSON DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Cats

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 62 71.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just stealing a best 22 from the Cats board:

B: Stewart De Koning Z Guthrie
HB: Holmes J Henry Tuohy
C: Blicavs Atkins Duncan
HF: Close Cameron Miers
F: Stengle Hawkins O Henry
R: Stanley Dangerfield Bruhn
Int: O’Connor Kolo/Bews Bowes Dempsey
Sub: Clark

The midfield looks fairly weak doesn't it. Dunno but that side looks very, very beatable (on paper :p)

Ok, I am now going to the Cats game.

I have not been to Kardinia Park for many years.

How is carpaking there? I have looked online and so there is some info there, but how long before the ball bounces would you recommend that you arrive to be sure of parking within a reasonable walking distance of the venue?

Any other tips of carparking at or near KP would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Park somewhere in, or off Noble St Newtown. Drop into the Saywers Arms on the way past for a pint or 2 or 3.

Just stealing a best 22 from the Cats board:

B: Stewart De Koning Z Guthrie
HB: Holmes J Henry Tuohy
C: Blicavs Atkins Duncan
HF: Close Cameron Miers
F: Stengle Hawkins O Henry
R: Stanley Dangerfield Bruhn
Int: O’Connor Kolo/Bews Bowes Dempsey
Sub: Clark

The midfield looks fairly weak doesn't it. Dunno but that side looks very, very beatable (on paper :p)
I reckon it’ll be a tight game…to win it the likes of King, Membrey & Higgins must make the most of their opportunities!
Those 3 are the main culprits for missing set shots

Received this from club earlier today;

WEEKLY MEDIA UPDATE

ROUND 1
Geelong v St Kilda
GMHBA Stadium
Saturday 16 March
7.30pm
Channel 7 / Fox Footy / Kayo

Media Opportunities
Who: Callum Wilkie
When: Approx 11.45am tomorrow, Tuesday 12 May
Where: RSEA Park, 32-60 Linton St Moorabbin
Notes:
  • Training vision will be available from 10.30am
  • This is an open training session, so finding a park may take longer than usual so please factor this into your planning

Who: Ross Lyon
When: 10.30am, Thursday 14 March
Where: RSEA Park, 32-60 Linton St Moorabbin
Note:
- Training vision will be available until 11.15am

Last year we got sent the vision so if that happens I'll shoot the link over :moustache:

It depends who the alternative is.

Geelong are still an experienced team and Jones speed/aggression could be an asset in a thinned out midfield. Maybe even as the sub if we are worried about him being underdone.
If Jones is fit , I would expect him to be in the team - he is a very good player when right , but it has been a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've spent the whole off-season confident of a big win in Round 1, but I'm now worried our availability is going to hurt us. We'll end up a fair way from what we all think is our best 22, which might make the difference, against a team who I'm confident will finish below us when it's all said and done.

I think the screws will tighten pretty quickly on Higgo if he doesn't perform - he had very little impact in the lead up games and we need that ground level support getting involved if we insist on bombing long to King, Membrey and Sharman.

I've spent the whole off-season confident of a big win in Round 1, but I'm now worried our availability is going to hurt us. We'll end up a fair way from what we all think is our best 22, which might make the difference, against a team who I'm confident will finish below us when it's all said and done.

I think the screws will tighten pretty quickly on Higgo if he doesn't perform - he had very little impact in the lead up games and we need that ground level support getting involved if we insist on bombing long to King, Membrey and Sharman.

Like all of us Saints supporters you were probably always going to get nervous going into round 1. It’s a coping mechanism.

Just recognise that your brain has rationalised the injury list as the driving influence for a possible loss. But we could lose due to an any number of reasons.

What do we know though? We’re fit. We’re well drilled. We have a team that believes in their coach. We will have a plan for minimising Geelongs threats.

Steele is back at his best. Henry and Bonner will add rebounding firepower to the team. Max King, Tim Membrey and Mitchito Owens are primed and ready to explode.

We’re going to be all right.

Like all of us Saints supporters you were probably always going to get nervous going into round 1. It’s a coping mechanism.

Just recognise that your brain has rationalised the injury list as the driving influence for a possible loss. But we could lose due to an any number of reasons.

What do we know though? We’re fit. We’re well drilled. We have a team that believes in their coach. We will have a plan for minimising Geelongs threats.

Steele is back at his best. Henry and Bonner will add rebounding firepower to the team. Max King, Tim Membrey and Mitchito Owens are primed and ready to explode.

We’re going to be all right.

I'm still not sure where we sit in the pack either. Are we going to have a whole lot step up or continue improvement? Does King, Membrey and a fit Steele make us top 4? Do we overrate ourselves off a year that we had new coach bounce? Were Geelong in a down year off a flag?

I'm optimistic but not confident.

I'm still not sure where we sit in the pack either.

Still firmly in the middle I suspect, if we remind ourselves we are a club who is rebuilding its list, it's not a North type tanking rebuild but none the less we still have depth of quality issues, the current injury list tells us that.

Being a middle of the ladder team means it can go only three ways, hold, up or down.

Can Jack Steele and Max King's shoulder hold up? What happens if RoMa is injured? What if Syncs calf's are shot? These are the negatives that see us hold or slide.

But what if the positives happen, what if Michito, Pou and Wilson defy their birth certificates and all turn into instant stars like the Bont, Fyfe and Isacc Smith? What if Max King finally has his breakout and kicks 80+ and what if every new recruit turns into a star and there isn't one bust of a recruit at the club?

As betting man what scenario are you putting your hard earned on?

I'm still not sure where we sit in the pack either. Are we going to have a whole lot step up or continue improvement? Does King, Membrey and a fit Steele make us top 4? Do we overrate ourselves off a year that we had new coach bounce? Were Geelong in a down year off a flag?

Based on preseason alone it looks like the trajectory of Naz and Owens is going to pick up where it left off.

Darcy Wilson will impress for sure, simply because his game is based on uber elite athleticism and work ethic, a combination that’s really tough to quell.

I think this game will be more dependent on how our seniors perform. Wood has looked a little rusty by foot. Marshall may have some ruck cobwebs to clear out. But everyone else looks good and like they’re ready to compete.

I’m confident we will be competitive on the scoresheet. I think our fitness will give us every chance to run out the game. We just need key players to stay on the park the whole game (Wilkie, Steele, King et al) and a pinch of luck to go our way.

I’m confident about everything except it’s at GMHBA stadium and Geelong can grow another leg there sometimes.

IMO team for this week:

Defenders: Wilkie, Cordy, Battle, NWM, Stocker, Bonner, Jones
Midfielders: Marshall, Steele, Crouch, Hill, Wood, Henry, Ross, Phillipou
Forwards: King, Membrey, Sharman, Higgins, Wilson, Owens, Byrnes

Still firmly in the middle I suspect, if we remind ourselves we are a club who is rebuilding its list, it's not a North type tanking rebuild but none the less we still have depth of quality issues, the current injury list tells us that.

Being a middle of the ladder team means it can go only three ways, hold, up or down.

Can Jack Steele and Max King's shoulder hold up? What happens if RoMa is injured? What if Syncs calf's are shot? These are the negatives that see us hold or slide.

But what if the positives happen, what if Michito, Pou and Wilson defy their birth certificates and all turn into instant stars like the Bont, Fyfe and Isacc Smith? What if Max King finally has his breakout and kicks 80+ and what if every new recruit turns into a star and there isn't one bust of a recruit at the club?

As betting man what scenario are you putting your hard earned on?
As an occasional betting man I'm waiting for us to drop our first two games then I'm backing us to make the 8.
If we win inside the 2st two games then I'll hold off.

We're not top 4 material, that's for sure. Hopefully next year.

Think there's more than enough to say we'll improve. King played less than half the season, and another pre-season into the kids like Owens Pou Windhager Nas etc will benefit them. Wilson looks ready to slot straight into the side.

Personally think Nas elevates himself into AA selection. We may have the most dangerous half back duo in the league if Sinclair remains off the HBF too.

We probably only need to become a 2-3 goal better side this year to move into the top four. Defensive metrics are elite, it was our lack of scoring power that did us in last year but if King plays all season he's good for 60-65 goals - the 2-3 goals we need each week to see us push up the ladder.

Geelong are stuffed personally. Port showed who they are last season and seasons before that, they aren't a threat. It's GWS, Brisbane, Collingwood and then it's a toss up for the final spot. Sydney, Melbourne, Carlton and us the four teams that'll probably battle it out for 4th.

Think there's more than enough to say we'll improve. King played less than half the season, and another pre-season into the kids like Owens Pou Windhager Nas etc will benefit them. Wilson looks ready to slot straight into the side.

Personally think Nas elevates himself into AA selection. We may have the most dangerous half back duo in the league if Sinclair remains off the HBF too.

We probably only need to become a 2-3 goal better side this year to move into the top four. Defensive metrics are elite, it was our lack of scoring power that did us in last year but if King plays all season he's good for 60-65 goals - the 2-3 goals we need each week to see us push up the ladder.

Geelong are stuffed personally. Port showed who they are last season and seasons before that, they aren't a threat. It's GWS, Brisbane, Collingwood and then it's a toss up for the final spot. Sydney, Melbourne, Carlton and us the four teams that'll probably battle it out for 4th.
I think the 2-3 goals will come from King and Membrey playing every week.
We beat the Cats at the end of last season when we were both playing for finals. The only factor in their favour is their home ground.
Saints by 151.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back