Review Good/Bad vs Gold Coast, Round 1 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Ins: Tex, Nankervis, Soligo (full game), Keane, Curtin
Out: Burgess, Murphy, Borlase, Smith

I am so friggin happy we havent extended Nicks yet. End this rubbish
Borlase? Was about to just come on here and comment how well he played haha. None of the Suns talls had any impact (wet conditions didn't help obviously), but thought Borlase used his body well a few times and was one of very few talls able to actually complete some marks.

Watching the first half I'd say the biggest thing that stood out to me was us panicking under pressure in the forward half.

Terrible disposal, awful positioning, multiple guys going in at contests instead of trusting mates. We'd often have 4 or 5 players getting in each other's way at the fall of the ball inside 50

Having our pre season trial games against Port and a woeful West Coast didn't set us up at all for a team that played a contested, smart brand under Hardwick

I actually doubt Tex would have done much, it's such crap weather up there to play football. The delivery into the forward line was horrible, Tex couldn't of saved it, I put the blane on the middle.

No Soligo, Sholl in the wet, Dawson was ineffective as was Laird. Limited Rachelle and Pedlar minutes, needed more bull in there

Don't think there was a lot of difference between the two teams despite the score for most of the game. The difference probably that our best mid had his worst game for the club and their best mid was a beast. Our forward structure also average.

Good:

Defence. Borlase, Worrell and Max were very good.

After a disastrous pre season, Hinge was close to normal. He'll be important.

Crouch bog for us. He's back to his best.

Rachele taking his chances.

Soligo showing what I was hoping for last year. Bizarre sub selection.

At least McHenry wasn't out there.

Bad :

Dawson. Did he have money on GC?

Thought laird was pretty average despite his disposal count.

Fog. Made it hard for him, but you'd like to think he'd have more of an impact. Not a good night for tall forwards.

Burgess looked out of place. Lumbering.

Murphy non entity. Jones likewise

So, the set-shot miss is ok because it was a great mark? :drunk:
I'd rather he dropped the mark (forgivable), crumbed the ball and kicked the goal.

The team needed the goal, not the mark.
Had he drop the market and crumb the ball and kicked the goal then it would have been another "break away moment" just like the strong overhead mark he took in slippery condition was a "break away moment" ;)

Dare I say, the Crows in the first half looked like they were coming off a pre-season while the Suns looked like they’d played a game already…

Round zero is for s**t

Suns looked 100x better than us last week,comming off a preseason.
No excuse there. We look fitter overall than what they have shown over the first 2 rounds.
No denying they are blessed with more talent, but regardless, they look instantly better drilled/Coached than us over the course of just 1 off season.
May well be new Coach spike or home ground advantage sure, but I have a hunch it just comes down to a higher standard of coaching from a next level Coach.

Id love to hear Bigmans thoughts on how our game tonight contrasts with what he saw over the preseason.

Oh well, early days. Heres hoping weve just started our season 3 quarters late this year.

Bad:

Sholl: Just need to stop kidding ourselves. He is not designed for the rigours of first 22 AFL footy against adults.

Murphy: I just cant handle anything about how this guy plays his football.
The qualities Nicks and co see in him are are all smoke and mirror, froth and bubble fraudulent bullchiz.
I mean, how many times can this guy do the low level, flying Superman(TM), scoop-up handpass,- ending up flat on his stomach and out of the play, before one of our junior development Coaches grows a set and calls him out on his overexaggerated, me-first, low IQ attempts at hero simulation.
FFS Murph, youre 5"9, or rather 5"6 with a proper haircut. Do you really need to go to ground, do 23 tumble rolls then wraithe in agony every single time you pick the ball up off the deck or attempt at a tackle,shepherd, handpass, mark, leadership quality fingerpoint or 65m banana kick at goal from 3 isles behind the fence?

Good: to only lose by a goal.
Bad: only losing by a goal and potentially masking the crud.
Ugly: My bank account for travelling and my face after remembering how every year I get excited about round 1 and thinking that things will be different. But they’re not.

We got absolutely pantsed in the middle.

Laird and Dawson were ineffective tonight, Crouch was good. Rob was OK I'd like him to be better but he will never be that ruck.

Kicking into our F 50 was shocking most of the night, if your gameplan is to bomb it then play one or at most two stalls and have a mosquito fleet.

Lachie Murphy, seriously, what is he doing in our side? Had no idea how the coaches had him 6th last year in our B&F but I would have been more effective tonight (obviously, I would have gotten reported...5 times).

If we are serious, we need games into Curtin, lets not drag this s**t out and have him play 5 games this year in a hope of snagging 8th spot with senior players.

I don't mind if they sign Nicks up tomorrow and say "if we make the 8 fine, but we aren't doing it as a hail mary, we need games in the next gen.

I actually thought the opposite, we were to well drilled and as soon as it rained it all went out the window, we had to play to the conditions and the majority of the players had SFA idea what they were then doing. It's why we missed Tex not that he would have been any better in those conditions but his organization and sorting stuff out on the field.
Just a dumb team who is drilled to play a certain way and when it dried out a bit in the last it started working again.
It was not dry in the last quarter, still quite consistent rain and the ball was like a piece of soap as the ground was very wet. We just finally played better wet weather footy then.

Brodie Smith - thanks for the memories, but that was ******* awful. Going to win the Scott Thompson Played a Season Too Long Award

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good: Rankine was good in the middle and got goals too
Soligo when on was great
Defence held up ok without our 2 main key backs
No big hit to our % and that looked on the cards at one stage

Bad: played the conditions poorly and had too many with sub par games

Ugly: mark the bloody ball..just mark it.
Soligo as sub
Losing both tex and thilthorpe heading into this one
Was not a marking game to be fair, even the Suns struggled a lot with that. Can't remember King actually ever taking a mark tbh.

We trained for slippery condition by bombing the ball, GCS didn't do this and built a lead. The rain came and that's when you play the condition by bombing the ball. Then the rain stopped and we continue to bomb the ball until the last 1.5 quaquarter
We should have moved the ball quicker and more direct the whole game! We overused the ball, fumbled and turned it over. We looked okay for about 1 quarter all up when it wasn't raining. We needed to move the ball on (bomb it) more often not less.

I actually doubt Tex would have done much, it's such crap weather up there to play football. The delivery into the forward line was horrible, Tex couldn't of saved it, I put the blane on the middle.

No Soligo, Sholl in the wet, Dawson was ineffective as was Laird. Limited Rachelle and Pedlar minutes, needed more bull in there
In a 6 point game, Tex only needs to provide a couple of goals (or set them up) to be more impactful than Gollant. Also provides that leadership and allows Fog to get the 2nd key defender too.

Daws definitely had an off game, forget about that one and move on!

But we will have thilthorpe and likely welsh so its not really a true reflection of our key forwards tonight
Welsh is 17.

Thilthorpe needs to realise he is 203cm every week and use that body to impact every contest he is in.

Great skills, iq and athleticism. But questionable on physicality each week.

Which is tough to do. It hurts banging in week after week.

Port game, tough as. WCE, meek. Probably a bit sore from the week before?

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good : Rankine, Pedlar, Rachele and Soligo when he came on.

Bad: The first 3 and a half quarters.

Ugly: Soligo as sub. Smith, sorry fella but the game has passed you by. Nicks' coaching or lack of.
This is why you don't have a contract in front of you.

I actually thought the opposite, we were to well drilled and as soon as it rained it all went out the window, we had to play to the conditions and the majority of the players had SFA idea what they were then doing. It's why we missed Tex not that he would have been any better in those conditions but his organization and sorting stuff out on the field.
Just a dumb team who is drilled to play a certain way and when it dried out a bit in the last it started working again.
We lacked the ability to brute manufacture play/score.

GC did this.

When the rain came they got the ball forward any way they could. We couldn't adjust. Still looking for our preferred clean play.

Watching the first half I'd say the biggest thing that stood out to me was us panicking under pressure in the forward half.

Terrible disposal, awful positioning, multiple guys going in at contests instead of trusting mates. We'd often have 4 or 5 players getting in each other's way at the fall of the ball inside 50

Having our pre season trial games against Port and a woeful West Coast didn't set us up at all for a team that played a contested, smart brand under Hardwick
No leadership up forward.

Good: * all

Bad: only showing up once the game was over

Ugly: we have drafted a total of 13 players in the top 20 of the last 10 National drafts combined. None of those 13 players are current AFL midfielders.

Lever
Milera
Doedee
Gallucci
Fogarty
Chayce (don’t even start on this being an AFL mid, he isn’t)
McHenry
McAsey
Thilthorpe
Pedlar (still a forward, and still no evidence whatsoever that he’s capable of one day racking up 25 touches as a mid)
Rachele (he’s not an AFL mid, he’s clearly a forward and always will be)
Michalanney
Curtin

Now you might say that Pedlar and Rachele will be full time mids within the next 24 months, and my response would be “prove it”. I see no evidence that this is evolving. Rachele is playing less and less midfield time, as the coaches have worked out that he quite simply isn’t interested in defending his man. Pedlar’s got midfield tools, but seemingly no tank and very little ability to accumulate possessions or hit targets.

For whatever reason, our club is completely incapable of drafting top end midfielders, and until we fix this, we will not contend.

There wouldn’t be another club in the entire league who have 0 out of their last 13 top 20 picks currently playing as full time mids. It’s inexcusable. It’s almost impossible to even achieve this level of incompetence. And it’s the leading reason why we haven’t played finals in 7 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back