List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

COMPARE THE PAIR.

Chris Judd first 6
View attachment 1966370

Harley Reid first 6 (Had to get the derby game off Footywire)
View attachment 1966371
View attachment 1966375

Was talking about this with my (now adult) boy today. Quite a while ago but my memory is Judd was quite obviously something special, but in a "if you watch a lot of footy you can easily tell he's going to be pretty good" way.

Harley is even if you've never watched a game before you can tell he's already better than everyone else good

Was talking about this with my (now adult) boy today. Quite a while ago but my memory is Judd was quite obviously something special, but in a "if you watch a lot of footy you can easily tell he's going to be pretty good" way.

Harley is even if you've never watched a game before you can tell he's already better than everyone else good
I think Judd probably fit into the category as well. Stood out like bull balls on a Pug.

Scary thing is Reids burst is very close to Judd. Judd may have him just for top speed but Reid also has the immense core strength, can break tackles better and is stronger overhead.

We have something very, very special and I believe (bar injury) a generational talent.

Hard to believe it was nearly 20 years ago.
More than 20 years ago.

I remember Judds first year when he received the ball on the wing at Subi and was involved in a chain of disposals that saw him kick a goal to finish off the play. Can’t remember which team against or which round, but you could tell he was going to be special.

We also got good players around Judd as 1 gun isn’t enough. Just hope we can get some more quality players around Reid.

I think Judd probably fit into the category as well. Stood out like bull balls on a Pug.

Scary thing is Reids burst is very close to Judd. Judd may have him just for top speed but Reid also has the immense core strength, can break tackles better and is stronger overhead.

We have something very, very special and I believe (bar injury) a generational talent.
Sometimes I feel like Reid on the burst is still him in second gear.
He could probably go harder if he chooses.

He did but it's overlooked that Judd's standout game (the Brissy one)...where the casuals realised this guy is amazing....was a year and half into his career

Harley's played 6 games and everyone know already

I was clearly taking the piss.
I Hate You Lol GIF by Lifetime

He did but it's overlooked that Judd's standout game (the Brissy one)...where the casuals realised this guy is amazing....was a year and half into his career

Harley's played 6 games and everyone know already
You're probably right mate. As an avid fan, it was that very first game that still sticks in my mind.

Just first game was probably slightly better but Reids last two weeks in particular is insane. Bloody nuts. I'm so glad I get so see another generational talent in my lifetime in blue and gold.

(Hopefully I have at least another 2 yet but HR is Bruce level Super SPECIAL)

More than 20 years ago.

I remember Judds first year when he received the ball on the wing at Subi and was involved in a chain of disposals that saw him kick a goal to finish off the play. Can’t remember which team against or which round, but you could tell he was going to be special.

We also got good players around Judd as 1 gun isn’t enough. Just hope we can get some more quality players around Reid.
I had to go back and edit my post. I had 2006 im my brain for some reason😁

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had to go back and edit my post. I had 2006 im my brain for some reason😁
Crazy to think 4 years after drafting Judd we played in the 05 granny, then won the flag in 06. Same timeline see Reid hoisting the cup in 2028.

I know I know getting ahead of myself. But it’s fun to have hope again after the last 3 years of misery.

Crazy to think 4 years after drafting Judd we played in the 05 granny, then won the flag in 06. Same timeline see Reid hoisting the cup in 2028.

I know I know getting ahead of myself. But it’s fun to have hope again after the last 3 years of misery.
Episode 4 Drama GIF by Cruel Summer

I reckon he'll stay. Everyone getting the jitters after Judd left.
This is why I have been reserved in my adulation of this kid. I absolutley loved Judd and was shook when he left. Like a few bottles of wine consumed shook.

And I dont want to hear "oh Judd was always going, he was a robot, he never connected", this is my story.

Part of me is guarded and very aware that the $$ and home temptation is always around the corner.

I'll enjoy the ride Harley will take us on however, absolutely no pun intended.

More than 20 years ago.

We need to keep adding midfield (and other) talent for sure.

We have a good start (and can’t wait for Hewett to get back), but another couple of quality mids will round out that area of the field (as Yeo and eventually TK move into the 30+ age bracket).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The thing that is too often overlooked in the “if you draft him he’s just going home” chat is that he doesn’t walk for nothing.

Judd leaving stung, to the tune of our greatest ever forward, two premiership players, about 500 games, 800 goals, two Colemans, three All Aus, and Tony Notte.

There was never any downside to taking Reid. He comes over, loves it and stays? How good. He comes over, does his contract and then wants to head home? Ok - point out a trade package that would make your eyes water more than what we could extract for Harley Reid?

If this is what he’s worth after six games, what might he be worth after three seasons?

No brainer. Pick him, back yourself in to keep him, reap a slew of rewards regardless.

This is why I have been reserved in my adulation of this kid. I absolutley loved Judd and was shook when he left. Like a few bottles of wine consumed shook.
I was shook like “Where were you when..” moment shook. Clearly remember leaving Lone Rangers shooting gallery with two peeps and putting on the car radio and heard the news. Was like the final siren of the 05 Grand Final gut wrenching, ugh.

Anyway, these are worries for 2026 at the earliest.

We need to keep adding midfield (and other) talent for sure.

We have a good start (and can’t wait for Hewett to get back), but another couple of quality mids will round out that area of the field (as Yeo and eventually TK move into the 30+ age bracket).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, this.

We have Reid & Hewett as our future balanced inside/outside mids but hopefully, we can add atleast another one of that type through the draft to compliment them.

We then have Ginbey & Hall who can be mostly inside mids (although Ginbey is showing signs he can also become a balanced mid) and Johnston & Chesser as outside mids/wing. Also, hopefully, the likes of Culley/Petch/etc can become solid midfield rotation options going forward too.

Last edited:
Judd leaving stung, to the tune of our greatest ever forward, two premiership players, about 500 games, 800 goals, two Colemans, three All Aus, and Tony Notte.
Felt like Judd was gonna return to Victoria eventually, so I wasn't shocked at all that he requested a trade.
Had the same feeling about Gaff, and he almost did.

I can't see any indications that Reid will become homesick, but obviously things happen in a player's personal life which might trigger a trade request.

And I dont want to hear "oh Judd was always going, he was a robot, he never connected", this is my story.

Part of me is guarded and very aware that the $$ and home temptation is always around the corner.

I'll enjoy the ride Harley will take us on however, absolutely no pun intended.
Same, he's my favourite ever player and made me love the game again after having enough of footy for a few years.. I just randmonly flicked on a game, must've been Judd's 2nd or 3rd game when I saw him turn on his afterburners down the wing when someone (can't remember who, but was no slouch) was hot on his tail.

I'd never seen that kind of running power before. Left the bloke behind him eating his dust. Was devastated when he left, but been hooked again ever since...

It's just so awesome to have 2 players in Yeo and Reid to now build around again, similar to Judd and Cousins back in the day.

Judd was magic with his otherworldly pace from game 1. Funny seeing early 2002 games where he would be by himself on the wing (no tag). Reid seems a bit more consistent so far though, also can’t believe how fast he is to go with the fend-offs and collecting the ground ball, and marks. I am fantasising that he is the best player ever. If he doesn’t get any better he’s at superstar level already basically
We need the Daniel Kerr though to complement and mirror 06

What sums up Harley Reid's self belief is the way he kicked his goal at the end of the first quarter. Only about 20m out but on a tight angle and on the wrong side for a right footer. Most players (even the really experienced ones) will generally go the banana or at the very least take the regulation drop punt but kick quite carefully. Harley just lined it up as if he was 45 out straight in front and sunk his hoof into it. That is confidence. No fear. Love it.

What I also think is a sublime part of his game is that he actually isn't afraid to run towards congestion. It seems to confuse the hell out of the opposition...essentially putting them on the back foot. They get drawn towards him and then he hands off to Yeo or whoever else is no free. The kid has Pendlebury type awareness...Cousins swerveablility and Dusty's strength and self belief.

I also reckon Harley is going to extend Yeo's career by a few more seasons. Young bull old bull. I never saw Yeo as being a mentor (unlike Shuey), but my god he appears to be relishing the role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back