Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Yep. But I'm sure it was just a coincidence that Todd had his best run of games when Dixon was out and the coaches had to come up with a different way to bring it into the forward line.
No one is more frustrated than I at our continued strategy of bombing the ball long into the forward line. It should be the kick of last resort but we employ it as our go to strategy. When it doesn't work which it wasn't against Fremantle we don't have a Plan B. There are several reasons for all this and it makes us look predictable and inefficient. I for one wish to God we were more flexible regarding our inside 50's and forward gameplan.

Regarding Dixon and Marshall specifically. I posted 11 days ago with a chart showing that Marshall had no particular better games, or runs of games, when Dixon was out of the side in 2022-2023.

Let me present Marshall's stats in 2022. His breakout year when he was completely fit. and running amok with Dixon out of the side for half the season.

1713082802729.png

Hmm. Look at that. Todd had better averages in EVERYTHING except tackles when Dixon was in the team. Todd kicked two career high hauls of 5 goals without Dixon in the team but was STILL averaging half a goal more per game with Dixon in the side, and 2 more shots at goal.

Give up on this Marshall plays better without Dixon fallacy. It is demonstrably false.

Attachments

• 1713080173540.png
    1713080173540.png
    56.6 KB · Views: 14
Yep. But I'm sure it was just a coincidence that Todd had his best run of games when Dixon was out and the coaches had to come up with a different way to bring it into the forward line.
34554543543435.jpg

These are his stats before and after Dixon in 2022. Yeah he cashed in against the Roos, Eagles and Crows but overall its pretty grim reading. and its not better than his stats with Dixon after round 10.

5 games with 1 mark or less inside 50?

No one is more frustrated than I at our continued strategy of bombing the ball long into the forward line. It should be the kick of last resort but we employ it as our go to strategy. When it doesn't work which it wasn't against Fremantle we don't have a Plan B. There are several reasons for all this and it makes us look predictable and inefficient. I for one wish to God we were more flexible regarding our inside 50's and forward gameplan.

Regarding Dixon and Marshall specifically. I posted 11 days ago with a chart showing that Marshall had no particular better games, or runs of games, when Dixon was out of the side in 2022-2023.

Let me present Marshall's stats in 2022. His breakout year when he was completely fit. and running amok with Dixon out of the side for half the season.

View attachment 1959571

Hmm. Look at that. Todd had better averages in EVERYTHING except tackles when Dixon was in the team. Todd kicked two career high hauls of 5 goals without Dixon in the team but was STILL averaging half a goal more per game with Dixon in the side, and 2 more shots at goal.

Give up on this Marshall plays better without Dixon fallacy. It is demonstrably false.

View attachment 1959712

These are his stats before and after Dixon in 2022. Yeah he cashed in against the Roos, Eagles and Crows but overall its pretty grim reading. and its not better than his stats with Dixon after round 10.

5 games with 1 mark or less inside 50?

This is a great example of how stats without context can be misconstrued.

When Dixon came back into the side we were still going through Todd at a much higher rate than we are now and had previous to Dixon’s absence.

During Dixon’s absence we looked very different forward and many noticed it and enjoyed it.

We were all concerned about us reverting to bombing it on top of Dixon’s head upon his return. It didn’t happen overnight , and stubbornly the team kind of stuck to what they had done in the first half of the year but as the games went on we started to revert as it crept back in.

By 2023 we had completely fallen back into the trap again.

It’s undeniable that Todd was better when we went through him more and not Dixon.

This is a great example of how stats without context can be misconstrued.

When Dixon came back into the side we were still going through Todd at a much higher rate than we are now and had previous to Dixon’s absence.

During Dixon’s absence we looked very different forward and many noticed it and enjoyed it.

We were all concerned about us reverting to bombing it on top of Dixon’s head upon his return. It didn’t happen overnight , and stubbornly the team kind of stuck to what they had done in the first half of the year but as the games went on we started to revert as it crept back in.

By 2023 we had completely fallen back into the trap again.

It’s undeniable that Todd was better when we went through him more and not Dixon.

Last year Marshall was 4th in the league for average marks i50. Above Curnow, Walker, Larkey.

This year hes sitting 2nd. You make it sound like he doesn't get an opportunity to touch the ball.

What he does with those marks god knows, but hes a fair way off winning the Coleman.

Last year Marshall was 4th in the league for average marks i50. Above Curnow, Walker, Larkey.

This year hes sitting 2nd. You make it sound like he doesn't get an opportunity to touch the ball.

What he does with those marks god knows, but hes a fair way off winning the Coleman.

This year he’s averaging 1.4 goals and 1.4 goal assists. That’s what he’s doing with those marks. That’s nothing to be sneezed at. Dixon is averaging 1.6 goals and 0.2 assists lol.

Todd’s combined score of 2.8 sits well against plenty of top kfs.

Hawkins is 2.6
Mackay 3.2
Fritsch 3.0
Cameron 3.8
B king 2.8
M king 2.8
Walker 2.6

None of those guys are playing with the #1 targeted player in the league.

as has been pointed out to you Dixon is the most targeted forward in the league. Of course if Dixon is getting such a crazy lions share of the targets then another kf, like Todd is going to be getting targeted far less than most kfs in the league.

This year he’s averaging 1.4 goals and 1.4 goal assists. That’s what he’s doing with those marks. That’s nothing to be sneezed at. Dixon is averaging 1.6 goals and 0.2 assists lol.

Hawkins is 2.6
Mackay 3.2
Fritsch 3.0
Cameron 3.8
B king 2.8
M king 2.8
Walker 2.6

as has been pointed out to you Dixon is the most targeted forward in the league. Of course if Dixon is getting such a crazy lions share of the targets then another kf, like Todd is going to be getting targeted far less than most kfs in the league.
Yes you dont understand sample sizes and ignore any counterarguments. I already know.

Bottom line is we all want Marshall to become a good player and Dixon sent to Belize, but at the moment it doesn't look likely. At least Georgiades is showing something.

Yes you dont understand sample sizes and ignore any counterarguments. I already know.

Bottom line is we all want Marshall to become a good player and Dixon sent to Belize, but at the moment it doesn't look likely. At least Georgiades is showing something.

Sample size? The same sample size you’re writing him off for I can’t use?

Also Ive never ignored counter arguments, I take those points you make and provide evidence to support my view.

Hawkins is 2.6
Mackay 3.2
Fritsch 3.0
Cameron 3.8
B king 2.8
M king 2.8
Walker 2.6

Port have the most imside 50's in the league averaging 61 per game. That doesn't including the noodling around that we do with the ball inside the inside 50 (hope that makes sense!). We may well have the most targeted forward in the league, but Marshall also plays for the team where the ball is bouncing around the forward line the most by far. I don't think Todd is being as hard done by as you suggest.

His GA% has now slipped below Charlie's (41.2 to 44.2). In 2023 and so far this season he has averaged less contested marks than Finlayson per game which is a telling stat and is not exactly going to encourage players to try and direct play through him.

Kudos to Todd for the goal assists. There is no doubt he has elite vision and field kicking inside 50. It's a bit disingenuous to compare the goal assists of your FF and your CHF though. Only 2 of the players you listed are averaging 1 or more GA/game.

IMO Todd's issues may be due to his lack of a preseason and Todd is a player that does rely on his athleticism and tank. His kicking for goal, maybe he is still getting back to scratch after his hip injury. His concussions may be weighing on his mind and that would be completely understandable.

To lay everything at the feet of Dixon and our gameplan and everywhere else except at the feet of Todd is just annoying. Saying Dixon's marks should have been Georgiades is just sour grapes Mitch was fighting off two defenders in the air for the first one and he was no guarantee for the second. Dixon took the marks and kicked the goals. End of.

In 2023 and so far this season he has averaged less contested marks than Finlayson per game which is a telling stat and is not exactly going to encourage players to try and direct play through him..

This is a poor understanding of what makes a good KPF. A contested mark means we've kicked to a contest. It's a failure of the system if we're forced to kick to a contest.

Dixon averages the most contested marks because he can't get separation.

Marshall averages the most marks and the most marks inside 50 of our key forwards.

This is a poor understanding of what makes a good KPF. A contested mark means we've kicked to a contest. It's a failure of the system if we're forced to kick to a contest.

Marshall averages the most marks and the most marks inside 50 of our key forwards.
A good KPF can take a contested grab or bring the ball to ground for a stoppage or 50/50 situation when a KPF can't play to this perfect system you are visualisng. Which happens the majority of the time. How often do you see players in any team kick the majority of the time to a leading forward?

Not only does Dixon usually have the no 1 defender and a defender that has dropped off his man, our gameplan Generally encourages players to kick to a contest. Watch the Fremantle game again.

You need to be able to do both.

Harry McKay - 3.8 contested marks per game, 1.6 marks on lead, 3.4 marks inside 50
Charlie Curnow - 3 contested marks per game, 1.6 marks on lead, 3,2 marks inside 50
Jesse Hogan - 2.2 contested marks per game, 2.0 marks on lead, 5.2 marks inside 50
Tom Hawkins - 1.5 contested marks per game, 1.3 marks on lead, 2.3 marks inside 50
Max King - 1.8 contested marks per game, 1.3 marks on lead, 2.0 marks inside 50

Todd Marshall - 1 contested mark per game, 1.4 marks on lead, 3.6 marks inside 50
Charlie Dixon - 2.8 contested marks per game, 0.8 marks on lead, 2.8 marks inside 50

I know our midfield did him no favours, but if I see one more freakin' Todd Marshall mark on the boundary line I'm gonna s**t.

That was his opportunity to step up with Charlie out, as everyone has been calling for. We've played 6 games and he's only been good in 2 of them, 1 okay and 3 very poor (the last 3). He needs to be a whole lot better and he's exceptionally lucky Lord is injured and Finlayson is suspended.

You need to be able to do both.

Harry McKay - 3.8 contested marks per game, 1.6 marks on lead, 3.4 marks inside 50
Charlie Curnow - 3 contested marks per game, 1.6 marks on lead, 3,2 marks inside 50
Jesse Hogan - 2.2 contested marks per game, 2.0 marks on lead, 5.2 marks inside 50
Tom Hawkins - 1.5 contested marks per game, 1.3 marks on lead, 2.3 marks inside 50
Max King - 1.8 contested marks per game, 1.3 marks on lead, 2.0 marks inside 50

Todd Marshall - 1 contested mark per game, 1.4 marks on lead, 3.6 marks inside 50
Charlie Dixon - 2.8 contested marks per game, 0.8 marks on lead, 2.8 marks inside 50
Interesting numbers.

Do you have the averages of how many times a game each forward gets kicked the ball as a contested mark and on the lead? And more specifically with our forwards especially Dixon and Marshall. That would throw a bit more light on the data.

I know our midfield did him no favours, but if I see one more freakin' Todd Marshall mark on the boundary line I'm gonna s**t.

That was his opportunity to step up with Charlie out, as everyone has been calling for. We've played 6 games and he's only been good in 2 of them, 1 okay and 3 very poor (the last 3). He needs to be a whole lot better and he's exceptionally lucky Lord is injured and Finlayson is suspended.

That is ridiculously harsh to say he’s been very poor in the last 3.

Has wavered between excellent to ‘okay but efficient’ this season. Hasn’t had a bad game yet. Hasn’t been as involved as the first couple of games but it’s surely no coincidence that in that time our ball use going forward devolved into the absolute worst dross imaginable.

Back