Player Watch #11: Jason Castagna - signed to 2023

Should Castagna be dropped for the Port game after his 2 disposal effort vs the Swans?

• Yes - for Cumberland

• Yes - for anyone

• No

• Make him Sub

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I would be interested in clanger vs disposal % rating eg 2 clangers per game from 10 dsp per game twice as bad as 2 out of 20.
Not George bashing, wouldn’t be surprised if Dusty rated poorly on this measure...

We can actually get a much better line on Castagna's clanger rate than would normally be the case. This is because he has two contemporaries in Butler and Rioli who have mainly played a similar role in a similar period across a roughly similar amount of matches. Over their careers, all average between 11.2 and 11.5 disposals per match. Rioli goes at 1.9 clangers per match on average, Butler 2.0 and Castagna 2.1.

An even better comparison may be the 2017 season when all were fit and firing off good preparations and beside Butler missing two matches they all played every match. I think they all played almost all of their ground time that season as forwards. This comparison allows us to exclude Rioli's 2018 for example where he missed half the season and took time to find his feet once he returned to AFL football. In 2017 Rioli averaged 10.8 disposals and 1.8 clangers. Castagna averaged 10.8 disposals and 2.2 clangers. Butler averaged 11.3 disposals and 2.0 clangers. So from similar amounts of disposals Butler commits about 10% more clangers than Rioli, and Castagna commits about a further 10% more clangers than Butler, in 2017 at least.

I think these figures are about what we might expect from our impressions of watching the three players play. Clangers of course are only one measure of player error. And then there are clangers and clangers. A turnover to an opponent running unchecked towards his teams' goal is worse than missing a target and say putting it out of bounds, in terms of scoreboard impact at least.

The last observation I have on this is Castagna's clanger curve. He appears to be steadily improving, again what you might expect as a young player gains experience and skills. From 2017 to 2018 Castagna's disposal average dropped about 5% from 10.8 per match to 10.3 per match. His clanger average however dropped about 14% from 2.2 per match to 1.9 per match. Comparing 2018 to 2019 so far, his disposal rate this year is up on average by about 36% from 10.3 per match to 14 per match. His clangers have risen by about 31% from 1.9 per match to 2.5 per match. So each year he seems to be improving a little on a clangers per disposals basis.

We can actually get a much better line on Castagna's clanger rate than would normally be the case. This is because he has two contemporaries in Butler and Rioli who have mainly played a similar role in a similar period across a roughly similar amount of matches. Over their careers, all average between 11.2 and 11.5 disposals per match. Rioli goes at 1.9 clangers per match on average, Butler 2.0 and Castagna 2.1.

An even better comparison may be the 2017 season when all were fit and firing off good preparations and beside Butler missing two matches they all played every match. I think they all played almost all of their ground time that season as forwards. This comparison allows us to exclude Rioli's 2018 for example where he missed half the season and took time to find his feet once he returned to AFL football. In 2017 Rioli averaged 10.8 disposals and 1.8 clangers. Castagna averaged 10.8 disposals and 2.2 clangers. Butler averaged 11.3 disposals and 2.0 clangers. So from similar amounts of disposals Butler commits about 10% more clangers than Rioli, and Castagna commits about a further 10% more clangers than Butler, in 2017 at least.

I think these figures are about what we might expect from our impressions of watching the three players play. Clangers of course are only one measure of player error. And then there are clangers and clangers. A turnover to an opponent running unchecked towards his teams' goal is worse than missing a target and say putting it out of bounds, in terms of scoreboard impact at least.

The last observation I have on this is Castagna's clanger curve. He appears to be steadily improving, again what you might expect as a young player gains experience and skills. From 2017 to 2018 Castagna's disposal average dropped about 5% from 10.8 per match to 10.3 per match. His clanger average however dropped about 14% from 2.2 per match to 1.9 per match. Comparing 2018 to 2019 so far, his disposal rate this year is up on average by about 36% from 10.3 per match to 14 per match. His clangers have risen by about 31% from 1.9 per match to 2.5 per match. So each year he seems to be improving a little on a clangers per disposals basis.
Excellent info. If the media start drawing “clanger curves” I’ll ensure you are credited!! :)

Wow, we're really straining out the gnats here aren't we!

Ellis has had 6 great quarters up until half time against The Swans. The bad Ellis came out after that though which was a bit of a shame.
Castagna needs to do alot more wrong to be behind Ellis.
Castagna would be close to the worst player in the 22 at the moment*

*Not including inexperienced kids that get some leeway. Castagna doesn't get that.

Wow, we're really straining out the gnats here aren't we!
. :straining:

Put it this way then Meli....that feeling you get when one of our players is clear in possession and sizes up his options, and selects one, and completely misses the target, and you scream, or sigh, or say wtf or whatever you do, Butler made you scream about four times more often than Rioli in 2017 and Castagna made you scream about 8 times more than Rioli, on numbers adjusted for the two games Butler missed. :) I bet you didn't realise we could adjust your reactions to clangers two seasons later....;)

*Not including inexperienced kids that get some leeway. Castagna doesn't get that.

Chaos must get leeway because he hasn't been dropped despite his crappy execution on quite a few occasions this year.
Not saying he's exempt from being dropped, but still maintain he gets more leeway than say Ellis because of his 1 wood - manic pressure and tackling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ellis had a blinder.... He was pretty quiet until we got on top, then he played well. 12 possessions at 3/4qt time from memory. But did stand up in the last in some big moments.
each to their own, blinder for sure and certain for mine, plus 2 crucial goals plus 8 effective tackles for a bit of cream on top.

He does make things happen - not always what he wants, but he is a game-changer. He creates chances, and he butchers chances. Skills are still poor (who else was shocked when he dobbed that set shot from 45 in the last?) - but that's not everything. Pace, pressure, 100% commitment - he's worth a spot.

He's still only 22.

Back