Player Watch #11: Jason Castagna - signed to 2023

Should Castagna be dropped for the Port game after his 2 disposal effort vs the Swans?

• Yes - for Cumberland

• Yes - for anyone

• No

• Make him Sub

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

George can create opportunity out of a fifty fifty but he fu.ks up opportunities that are a 8/10 chance to score.
Today he did a double handed ball drop for a snap 25 mtr out after three steps, kicked it in the belly of the ball and stuffed it.
He’s a back pocket who attacks the ball
He’s not a forward

If he is not a forward then he's nothing. If you think his chaos hurts us up front can you imagine how damaging it would be down back spraying the ball all over the place. It's too awful to even contemplate.

Last edited:
If he is not a forward than he's nothing. If you think his chaos hurts us up front can you imagine how damaging it would be down back spraying the ball all over the place. It's too awful to even contemplate.
I’m not saying I want him there...but he’s a classic back pocket on the rover type
Like puopolo

If he is not a forward than he's nothing. If you think his chaos hurts us up front can you imagine how damaging it would be down back spraying the ball all over the place. It's too awful to even contemplate.
Yep can’t hide that kicking anywhere on the ground. Really is queue the Benny Hill music when he’s kicking

Thanks for 2017 George But he’s the least skilled player I think I’ve ever seen in league footy. Has a fair dinkum crack I’ll give him that but he just kills us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like his namesake George he provides comedy, some of his efforts are below VFL standard, I honestly think when he does score a goal it's by luck rather than good management. He doesn't even seem to aim at anything, uses banana kicks because he can't kick a drop punt.

Actually watching the whole team at the moment there doesn't appear to be one player that you say "thank God, it's in his hands so he will do something constructive". There is usually a couple of these types in every team, we don't have one at the moment, Stack was probably our closest last night and he was a first gamer.

Gws tactic in the past has been to man up everyone except George to encourage us to funnel forward entry his way , curious if they do it again , make m pay George

Well, it worked. Genius plan.
Always had an inkling once the opposition started putting a bit of time and thought into the likes of Castagna, Butler and Townsend they'd be found out pretty quick and thus it has proved.
Sorry to say but Castagna simply does not have the skill set to be a long-termer and is a serious momentum changer.

Always had an inkling once the opposition started putting a bit of time and thought into the likes of Castagna, Butler and Townsend they'd be found out pretty quick and thus it has proved.
Sorry to say but Castagna simply does not have the skill set to be a long-termer and is a serious momentum changer.

Leon Cameron is a gun coach

Hardwick not at that level

Leon Cameron is a gun coach

Hardwick not at that level

Never rated Hardwick much ….. too steadfast, ignorantly so.
He'll keep picking Castagna and Butler - who even in our premiership year were one in four week players - and will think it's justifies when they finally jag one good one out of 10.
Heck, this bloke kept picking Newman for two years when he was clearly done and dusted as we owed him a finals win!!!

If George went anywhere near the ping pong table over summer then he's a fool. Every spare second should be spent improving his kicking.
His kicking is that bad it's a career killer. He's a complete liability.

If George went anywhere near the ping pong table over summer then he's a fool. Every spare second should be spent improving his kicking.
His kicking is that bad it's a career killer. He's a complete liability.

He’s gotta have a rest from AFL and spend a lot of time working on his kicking and his poise or lack thereof.

George and butler arent up to senior standard , in the last 2 games they’ve kicked 2 points between them ,,,WoW if they’re the best we ve got then be worried , verrrrrrrrry worried

Whilst I agree both should be dropped, I'd be staggered if Dimma did that.
Doubt Dimma would like the media frenzy of "Two premiership pressure forwards dropped"
Would appear like his hit the panic button.

I respect George more than I do Butler and Ellis. George is extremely limited but at least cracks in, plays with intensity and won’t die wondering. He’s just unfortunately very unskilled and that’s something that isn’t easily fixed.

Ellis and Butler on the other hand are an embarrassment to the jumper. They are genuinely scared of physical contact and either hang out the back of contests, put their teammates under immense pressure or make costly turnovers due to their extreme panic under pressure. That s**t is just totally f***ing unforgivable.

If you’re a rubbish player but at least have a dip then you get a pass in my book, but if you’re someone who is not 100% committing to the contest, doesn’t put your body on the line and isn’t prepared to do the hard stuff then you can f*** off and I never want to see you represent this football club again.

All three must never play again though.

Castagna and Butler have declined so much over the summer, I wonder what they did they never been skilled players but the pressure they put on isn't there anymore Hardwick has too much faith in these guys that helped win the Premiership he needs to drop them now, Clarko and Beveridge would have by now.

Castagna has some of the physical attributes to be one of the best small forwards in the league, it's insane how explosive he can be.

And I was really pushing him, if he fixed his skills I honestly thought this year he'd score 30+ easily. Very dissapointed with how he's almost gone backwards kicking wise, there's something there but what a dissapointing start to this season.

Back