#12 in National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
we need another young kpf, and in any case melbourne would not give up pick 12 especially in a compromised draft

We aren't going to draft a KPF with #12 just because we "need" one, you don't draft with needs in the first round.

You take the best player available regardless of position.

We aren't going to draft a KPF with #12 just because we "need" one, you don't draft with needs in the first round.

You take the best player available regardless of position.

i wasn't implying we use pick 12 on a KPF i certainly agree with best available.... i just meant we need a young KPF to develop, i hear the club is keen on Callum Sinclair later in the draft

but @ pick 12 if a player like Lynch, Gorringe or Darling is available, the club may well consider it due to our current midfield stocks... if a skilfull utility is available however, such as smedts or atley as the best available i would take them over a kpf

Because your own club said they would look to get / trade in a big bodied forward to help Watts.

If thats your opinion fair enough, there are other posters who think trading in a youngish KP forward would be a smart move. Its not like you don't have plenty of kids developing already.

So we can get a youngish KP forward in the draft. He'd be 3 years younger than Mitch Brown, who doesn't exactly scream selection.

Why don't we trade you Bennell and Jones for Pick 4? Because apparently you need some quick midfielders.

Don't forget we might be using our first rounder on Viney in 2012 guys. And I doubt that in 2011, 2013, 2014 etc that we will get any top 10 draft picks, so we might not be able to draft a good KPF. It looks like this year could be the only year to get one outside the top 10 with such draft wealth.

So we can get a youngish KP forward in the draft. He'd be 3 years younger than Mitch Brown, who doesn't exactly scream selection.

Why don't we trade you Bennell and Jones for Pick 4? Because apparently you need some quick midfielders.

Because pick 4 will the Eagles get an elite player like Heppell or Gaff.;):D

And pick 12 you get whats left after the first 11 picks...................in a already compromised draft.

Still good players at 12 but if your draft planning is specifying a certain type of player is needed then trading in what you need as opposed to what might be available at 12 does have its advantages.

Would you consider trading pick 12 for Mitch Brown + pick 44 from the Eagles.

Brown was drafted as a KP CHF / FF but has struggled playing in the same forward line as Kennedy, Lynch and Le Cras at the Eagles. Has played quite well as the CHB so yes he could easily play both ends of the ground.

Fits a need for the Dees, is only 21 and is from Victoria.

I admitt pick 12 is slightly over paying hence pick 44 (Eagles 3rd rounder) to balance the books.

Brown's was in and out of your side this year (i'm guessing he wasn't dropped due to injury but not sure) and he's not worth pick 12 (pick 44's pretty much worth nothing to us). Only player i reckon we'd trade for 12 is Kennedy, and obviously that's not going to happen from your end. So no, would rather have a Darling or T.Lynch with pick 12 thanks.

mitch Brown isnt even nearly worth a first round pick, maybe our 3rd round? but I would give nothing higher. Also he is not a need, other forwards may be but every forward we have will be a better player than brown and we still get a first round pick.

[/b]

And pick 12 you get whats left after the first 11 picks...................in a already compromised draft.

Still good players at 12 but if your draft planning is specifying a certain type of player is needed then trading in what you need as opposed to what might be available at 12 does have its advantages.

Why would we trade a first round draft pick for a bloke thats not even in West Coasts best 22?

Third rounder.

Would you consider trading pick 12 for Mitch Brown + pick 44 from the Eagles.

Fits a need for the Dees, is only 21 and is from Victoria.

Nah I think Brown would have to come pretty cheap for us to give him a go - definately wouldnt offer pick 12 - and I dont think we'de use pick 44 this year to be honest. We openly stated we're unlikely to use more than 3 picks (other than rookie upgrades.

All the mock drafts I've read have us picking up Atley which I'm extremely happy with if it happens.

Atley will be a gun, f*** getting a tall if this kids still around.

Agreed - someone like Atley would be great. I did a list a few pages back but I think I need to add Polec and Brodie Smith at the expense of Cook and maybe Parker. If one of these guys come through I dont think we'll be too worried about not finding a tall..

Refer my comment above - I suspect if one of the decent talls arent available (Gorringe, Darling, Day & Lynch) then yes, a Polec, Atley or Smith will slip through and we'll get another gun midfielder. Pick 12 will still get a quality player this year, its just that we wont get to choose our target.

Following draft camp and some further investigation - heres an update on my thoughts regarding our order of preference with regard to pick 12 targets..

1) Swallow (complete midfielder - just too good, will be the best player in the comp from a very young age imo)
2) Day (at best could be the next Wayne Carey, at worst the next Jarryd Roughead. Either way GC have got lucky with these 2 players being in this draft)
3) Bennell (lightning fast, elite skills, runs through the lines, creative - and will kick goals. Bailey always said he would love another Aaron Davey)
4) Gorringe (strong bodied intelligent tap ruckman. Agility a strength for his size and will kick goals when played as a key forward or resting ruck)
5) Gaff (recent performance at draft camp puts this guy back up to the top of my order. Inside and outside mid with sure hands, excellent decision making and ball magnet - not our biggest need so Ive put him behind Gorringe but other clubs will be all over him from pick 4 imo.
6) Smith (Im guessing Prendergast will like this player. He would be a good fit in that he's a tall, strong midfielder who has the versatility to go forward or back. Sure hands and keeps his feet. Is creative with the ball and also very good with body work around stoppages)
7) Lynch (the speculative pick. 196cm CHF/CHB. Long reach, good skills, great at ground level for his height. At best could develop into a quality, pack marking tall forward, at worst will be a Jaryd Rivers type spoiling defender)
8) Heppell (strong, running defender with excellent foot skills. Good decision maker and exceptionaly high efficiency at TAC cup carnival)
9) Atley (skillful midfielder with elite endurance, workrate and agility. again not our pressing need but too good to pass here)
10) Darling (Burley forward who slips mostly due to questionable height for his game style at AFL level. Very strong overhead, beautiful kick, and loves making big tackles in the forward line)
11) Polec (ball carrying, long kicking outside mid. Sure hands and will kick goals. Would add pace and height to our midfield)
12) Lycett (very tall ruck project type. excellent tap work but needs to develop more strings to his bow)

Lamb, Parker, Caddy and Smedts are the other quality players in this draft imo and I wouldnt be disappointed if we take one of those. Lucas Cook the next best tall forward but Im not certain hes worth the shot ahead of any of these guys at pick 12.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caddy wont make it to 12.

If he does and we dont draft him, it would be a costly mistake.

The kid can play and regardless of our needs, we would be mad not to take him.

12. Kieran Harper (Eastern Ranges): Is a richly-talented forward who runs to the beat of his own drum. His brilliance would complement the Demons’ hard-working young midfielders.

Pick 12; (I want this bloke)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMMrj16d2BA

I watched this game. Skilled, quick, elusive. He is also from the same school as Sammy Blease and Jordan Gysberts.

Well if you believe the strong rumours and what has been written in the Age today, we don't need to worry about #12 anymore because it is heading to North Melbourne for that spud Hale. Not happy if true.:thumbsdown:

Link and Article extract below:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...l-the-shots-in-trade-week-20101005-1663v.html

Melbourne is leading the chase for contracted North Melbourne ruckman David Hale.
The Gold Coast and Hawthorn have also expressed interest but the Demons have pushed hardest. In a deal mooted yesterday, the Demons would trade their first- and second-round picks in exchange for Hale and North's first-round pick.

That would be the biggest farce of all time if Melbourne gave up 12 in order to get Hale.

The guy is worth a 2nd rounder, and only a 2nd rounder, at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back