Past Josh P. Kennedy - King Kennedy, the contested possession king

Remove this Banner Ad

20GWSSy19MKP204973244.jpg

Josh P Kennedy

Josh Kennedy led the Sydney Swans to back-to-back finals campaigns as the club’s sole skipper in 2017 and 2018, and has since led the team as a co-captain alongside Luke Parker and Dane Rampe. The top-class midfielder has compiled a glowing list of individual achievements since leaving Hawthorn for Sydney ahead of season 2010, collecting a 2012 premiership medal, three All Australian blazers and three Club Champion awards. Kennedy is instrumental to the Swans’ host of young midfielders learning their craft at the top level, including Oliver Florent, James Bell, James Rowbottom and Dylan Stephens. Draft history: 2006 AFL Draft 3rd round father-son selection (Hawthorn) No. 40 overall; 2009 AFL Draft traded by Hawthorn for No. 39 (Sam Grimley). Previous AFL club: (Hawthorn 2008-09: 13 games, 1 goal).

Josh Kennedy
DOB: 20 June 1988
DEBUT: 2008
DRAFT: #40, 2006 Father Son
RECRUITED FROM: East Sandr (Vic)/Xavier Coll (Vic)/Sandr U18/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:
An absolute champion of the game. I would struggle to name another player who has produced so consistently for so long. Hawthorn would have to take a dozen Tom Mitchell's off us to make up for the bargain they gifted us in Kennedy. Despite his family ties he gave his heart and his soul to our club. A true Blood.

At 32 Josh remains an elite midfielder, one of the greatest players of his age, or indeed any age. As our young team improves around him I would not be surprised to see his output increase. Could JPK lead us to another premiershp ? I for one sincerely hope he does.

Some statistics from his 200th game, but I can't find any updated ones for his 250th.

Records as of his 200th game

- Consecutive Matches With 10 Contested Possessions (67)
- Consecutive Matches With 5 Clearances (28)
- Consecutive Matches With 20 Disposals (68)
- Most Games With 15 Contested Possessions In a Match (111)
- Most Games With 10 Clearances In a Match (28)

My favourite player. Love the way he plays. Leads from the front, epitomises the team and the club.

Favourite moment has to be his goal at the start of the second quarter in 2012 GF which kickstarted our comeback and ultimate victory.

Nice tribute from the club:

My favourite player. Love the way he plays. Leads from the front, epitomises the team and the club.

Favourite moment has to be his goal at the start of the second quarter in 2012 GF which kickstarted our comeback and ultimate victory.

Nice tribute from the club:

There's a bit of footage near the end with Mitchell (as a Hawk) seemingly gaping in awe. Maybe that was the 2017 game where Joey completely towled Mitchell up before getting injured towards the end.

I always thought Kennedy deserved a Brownlow much more than some winners but through Kennedy's career he was always sharing votes in a champion midfield, one that saw players such as Goodes, McVeigh, ROK, Jude, Hannerbery, Jack, Parker and even Mitchell pass through it during Kennedy's long and distinguished career. Buddy was also grabbing his share of Brownlow votes.

As an example, in the 2017 Brownlow count Kennedy lead a group of 3 Swans in the top 10 Brownlow votes. The Swans have had multiple players in the top 10 Brownlow votes for most of Kennedy's career. By contrast only 3 Brownlow winners in the last decade have had to compete with a teammate in the top 10 and none had more than one top 10 teammates. FROM 2012-2017 Sydney had more Brownlow votes than any team every year except one, where they had the 2nd most. They also had the most 3-votes awarded for most of those years with an average of 7 Swans players being awarded 3 votes and an average of 12-13 vote-getters during the period. Had Kennedy played in a lesser team he may have had a couple of Brownlows by now.

The captaincy had weighed heavily on Kennedy, especially as he has had to carry a young midfield on his broad shoulders. That he has learned to shoulder the burden, lead a young midfield group and regain his brutish form at the age of 32 is a genuine testament to his character. He may retire before the Swans next hoist the Premiership cup but, like Maxfield and Kelly before him, he deserves enourmous credit for sowing the seeds of future triumphs.

Kennedy's the rock on which our team is built and we applaud him for what he's given us.

There's a bit of footage near the end with Mitchell (as a Hawk) seemingly gaping in awe. Maybe that was the 2017 game where Joey completely towled Mitchell up before getting injured towards the end.

I always thought Kennedy deserved a Brownlow much more than some winners but through Kennedy's career he was always sharing votes in a champion midfield, one that saw players such as Goodes, McVeigh, ROK, Jude, Hannerbery, Jack, Parker and even Mitchell pass through it during Kennedy's long and distinguished career. Buddy was also grabbing his share of Brownlow votes.

As an example, in the 2017 Brownlow count Kennedy lead a group of 3 Swans in the top 10 Brownlow votes. The Swans have had multiple players in the top 10 Brownlow votes for most of Kennedy's career. By contrast only 3 Brownlow winners in the last decade have had to compete with a teammate in the top 10 and none had more than one top 10 teammates. FROM 2012-2017 Sydney had more Brownlow votes than any team every year except one, where they had the 2nd most. They also had the most 3-votes awarded for most of those years with an average of 7 Swans players being awarded 3 votes and an average of 12-13 vote-getters during the period. Had Kennedy played in a lesser team he may have had a couple of Brownlows by now.

The captaincy had weighed heavily on Kennedy, especially as he has had to carry a young midfield on his broad shoulders. That he has learned to shoulder the burden, lead a young midfield group and regain his brutish form at the age of 32 is a genuine testament to his character. He may retire before the Swans next hoist the Premiership cup but, like Maxfield and Kelly before him, he deserves enourmous credit for sowing the seeds of future triumphs.

Kennedy's the rock on which our team is built and we applaud him for what he's given us.

Wouldn't have thought that Swans one would be in a list but it's something special

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With covid-19 restrictions, Josh will not be able to run out with Emilio like in his 200th :(

aaoIUrBw.png

Josh and his grandfather

Reckon he's one of about two in the whole AFL who haven't had a genuinely poor game this entire decade. There have been games that may seem poor by his standards, but even they only look something like 15 possessions and a s**t load of tackles and pressure, which many most players would only dream of. I have faith in our next generation, but JPK's remarkable consistency is an absence that I think we'll feel for a long time after he hangs up the boots.

Reckon he's one of about two in the whole AFL who haven't had a genuinely poor game this entire decade. There have been games that may seem poor by his standards, but even they only look something like 15 possessions and a sh*t load of tackles and pressure, which many most players would only dream of. I have faith in our next generation, but JPK's remarkable consistency is an absence that I think we'll feel for a long time after he hangs up the boots.

I don't know, he was very poor a few years ago but I think in hindsight the reason for that was he was playing injured. I think we all knew it even at the time.

I don't know, he was very poor a few years ago but I think in hindsight the reason for that was he was playing injured. I think we all knew it even at the time.
I'm of the firm opinion that he was carrying the midfield during that period which saw his numbers dip. He wasn't poor, he just wasn't as dominant. We lost Hanners and then Jack was not able to contribute like before so you saw both Kennedy and Parker's numbers slide a bit. You also had Sinclair getting pummeled in the ruck most weeks so its not like he saw good service.

Now you have Florent, Rowbottom and Hewett able to impact games and Naismith a genuine tap ruckman providing first touch. Witness the difference.

Longmire's tribute to Kennedy was flagged as 'sensitive' by Twitter! Jack is out of control.

He was not poor though. Let's face it he was still doing bloody better than most mids in the comp, was just showing signs of decline. And he still probably is, but let's not confuse "not being what he once was" with him being poor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back