Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Remove this Banner Ad

He may kick 50 goals a season, but what are his defensive attributes..... so says the Match Committee.

He's working on his metamorphosis into Kamdyn as we speak. He's taking hair loss pills, practicing kicking out on the full under no pressure, he's booked in for a lobotomy. Only thing he can't figure is how to only find the pill 10 times a game. Shorty don't do under 20 touches.

Our boy is getting married. In a couple decades we could have a couple Shorts bombing goals from 60 out.

When the new coach takes over I hope there's a complete overhaul with gameplan and new positions for a few players like Gibcus up forward. To me it's a massive oversight that Shorty isn't a winger as I reckon he could be an all time great. Would love to see Short and Banks on the wings with emphasis on long and accurate kicking.

As Short's proven time and time again he's lethal having shots 50-60m out and even better getting a quick handball receive from someone who's marked and about to take a shot. He can run all day, always finds the pill, breaks the lines and great bouncer at full pace. He has the ability to pull off the kicks that clears the Lever, Moore, May type interceptor. Getting back to those beautiful 50-60m goals he nails. As a winger he'd be able to have 4 or 5 pings a week and potentially kick 50 goals a season making him the most unique attacking weapon in the history of the game.

As a HBF he might occasionally find himself in the position to have a crack but where does that leave his direct opponent anyway? Would carve us up on the turnover. Considering our wings have been junk for a long time and Brown can play HBF. Would love to see the new (non McQualter) senior coach mix things up.
Yeah I like it. Rioli could also be a star winger IMO. Dimma loved his wingers to be able to chop out in the air hence the love for Pickett and Kmac. Yze on the other hand has two squibs there that can run up and back all day in Hunter and Langdon so it will be interesting if he gets the job.

Banks and Short/Rioli on a wing, Ross into the midfield. With Lynch back in the forward line that's three areas of huge improvement for next season without doing much....

I’m not sure about Short playing up the ground permanently especially as a Winger bc he lacks aerial skills and strength. He was basically a flop when in the guts as he lacks 360 awareness and much prefers seeing the ball coming at him. I think his current role is perfect where he catches players napping by sneaking up the ground. Ross should be our starting Wingman with a developing Banks or Trezise. HRS was a big disappointment this year and I thought he may have cemented a spot there , but he’s barely VFL standard on his output this year.

I’m not sure about Short playing up the ground permanently especially as a Winger bc he lacks aerial skills and strength. He was basically a flop when in the guts as he lacks 360 awareness and much prefers seeing the ball coming at him. I think his current role is perfect where he catches players napping by sneaking up the ground. Ross should be our starting Wingman with a developing Banks or Trezise. HRS was a big disappointment this year and I thought he may have cemented a spot there , but he’s barely VFL standard on his output this year.

I think HRS just lost confidence, or maybe had a niggle. He is better than that.

I think HRS just lost confidence, or maybe had a niggle. He is better than that.
Don’t know as he was passed fit to play and played most games in the season. I think he got ahead of himself and thought this AFL caper was easy and refused to put in the hard yards. He also squibbed a lot of contests.

Don’t know as he was passed fit to play and played most games in the season. I think he got ahead of himself and thought this AFL caper was easy and refused to put in the hard yards. He also squibbed a lot of contests.

I think the lack of ferocity in contests has been a well know rfi for Hugo since the start, I have heard him say it. If you consider Ross for example, even Dow, when these guys get caught up in playing unsuitable roles at AFL level and part games due to being subbed in or out, they can go back to VFL level lacking any confidence. Ross has worked through this phase of his career really well. Hopefully the others come out the side better players as well. Hugo was playing mainly as a deepish defender, or his opponents were taking him deep a lot. I am guessing he doesn't know a lot about life back there. He will learn and adapt.

I think the lack of ferocity in contests has been a well know rfi for Hugo since the start, I have heard him say it. If you consider Ross for example, even Dow, when these guys get caught up in playing unsuitable roles at AFL level and part games due to being subbed in or out, they can go back to VFL level lacking any confidence. Ross has worked through this phase of his career really well. Hopefully the others come out the side better players as well. Hugo was playing mainly as a deepish defender, or his opponents were taking him deep a lot. I am guessing he doesn't know a lot about life back there. He will learn and adapt.
Well he will need to learn and adapt very quickly bc others will and some have already gone past him.

Heard a few interviews from Shorty over the course of the year and especially of late and have been left impressed with the way that he speaks. Seems to have matured leaps and bounds and has really become a leader on and off the ground. Would fully support him as a potential candidate to become our next captain or vice captain.

Heard a few interviews from Shorty over the course of the year and especially of late and have been left impressed with the way that he speaks. Seems to have matured leaps and bounds and has really become a leader on and off the ground. Would fully support him as a potential candidate to become our next captain or vice captain.
Heard he was in the running when they went with Grimes and Nank.
Hope they change the captain's next season.
Between Young, Balta, Gibcus, plus Broad, Vlas, Brown, Tresize, Rioli, Short - I don't know that Grimes is best 22, even if Balta/Gibcus play forward ?

Heard he was in the running when they went with Grimes and Nank.
Hope they change the captain's next season.
Between Young, Balta, Gibcus, plus Broad, Vlas, Brown, Tresize, Rioli, Short - I don't know that Grimes is best 22, even if Balta/Gibcus play forward ?
Nank and Grimes have been the most underwhelming captains, need a new perspective to go with the coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But think of all the M/S picks coming our way!

We've literally only had 3 W players with quality ability. Even then Conti and Brennan have played for other teams. The way the typical W career will pan out most players will end up playing for 3-4 teams. We've watched champion f/s potential prospects like Hart, Knights, Free, Broderick, Naish, Turner, Weightman, all amount to nothing while a nobody like Ben Hollands's loins turned out to be a goldmine. For every Nic Daicos or Richo there's 100's that don't play 10 average games. Besides look at the W awards it's typically the W players gf's/ wives who are the ones that get impregnated with the baby.

We've literally only had 3 W players with quality ability. Even then Conti and Brennan have played for other teams. The way the typical W career will pan out most players will end up playing for 3-4 teams. We've watched champion f/s potential prospects like Hart, Knights, Free, Broderick, Naish, Turner, Weightman, all amount to nothing while a nobody like Ben Hollands's loins turned out to be a goldmine. For every Nic Daicos or Richo there's 100's that don't play 10 average games. Besides look at the W awards it's typically the W players gf's/ wives who are the ones that get impregnated with the baby.
what youre saying is we need the likes of brennan and conti to become baby factories for our gun players and that its the only way having an aflw program will actually benefit our club. its a bold statement.

What actually happened on Sunday bc i missed the incidence as i was reading posts on the Game Day thread at the time? I recall reading a poster asking why is Short walking like he has a carrot up his arse. I thought he was joking and went along with ," bc he probably has" or something similar. Then bingo The Scarlet Pimpernel in Meehan strikes again and he's subbed off.

What actually happened on Sunday bc i missed the incidence as i was reading posts on the Game Day thread at the time? I recall reading a poster asking why is Short walking like he has a carrot up his arse. I thought he was joking and went along with ," bc he probably has" or something similar. Then bingo The Scarlet Pimpernel in Meehan strikes again and he's subbed off.
Calf issue, currently in doubt for upcoming game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back