VFL Round 17 v Southport Fankhauser Reserve Saturday July 15 11.35am

Remove this Banner Ad

What ya thong ya on holidays or something.?
Some of these hbfers are gonna have to convert to wingmen, it's not a crazy leap for them to get there. We're gonna need players to replace Pickett and Kmac eventually. Trezise with his marking is an obvious choice. Brown could go through there as well. Need these guys playing now.
Mansell will replace picket or kmac

I think Mansell could play wing. He has the pace and would be similar to Mac & Pickett in intensity/aggression, but a bit more industrious around the ball. Has a good long kick on him as well and has learned a bit playing half forward.

Think that this is spot on.

Morris in his post-match conference said that there was a direction from the Senior team to play him through the wings. Played it against North Melbourne in the pre-season and I had him in my top five.

Has played both back and forward and if he has the aerobic capacity, playing the wing could link both of those up.

Suspect he’ll come in to the senior shortly as a high half-forward, and push up to the wings before maybe taking over a wing at the back end of the season/ next season.

I think Mansell could play wing. He has the pace and would be similar to Mac & Pickett in intensity/aggression, but a bit more industrious around the ball. Has a good long kick on him as well and has learned a bit playing half forward.
I think he doesn't have the leap needed to counteract the better wingers and i'm not sure he has the endurance to run out a high km game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He just played VFL, so no, he doesn't qualify for cat B rookie. You cant have been registered to play AFL at any level for 3 years to qualify.

Yes he comes from a traditional Australian Rules Football background which means he doesn’t qualify.
So he has to either be rookied or drafted.

Thought it was Sonsies best game of the year. Good balance of inside/outside in the midfield.

Mansel a new role!? Defensive wing. Maybe looking at developing as a possible replacement for KMac, or at least an option. Played the role well, great gut running on a very big ground.

Brown was good. I think he’ll get his chance soon.

Tresize is tracking nicely, starting to get mid 20s now, which is a step up from early in the year. Needs to tidy up on his foot skills.

Bradtke starting to get some fitness, moving a lot better than when he first returned from the foot injury. Not sure how he’s game will translate to AFL. Don’t think he’ll be able to successfully push/shove against bigger AFL defenders and does he have the athleticism!? we’ll see when/if he gets his opportunity.

Top game from Melville, of hb along with Brown probably our best user by foot
Was a broken hand for bradke , yea we were a bit tough on him fresh from that , I’d love to see him get a chance sooner than later , I’m sure he will just a taste to serve as inspiration

Bradtke seems to have really good straight line speed. Not necessarily a great leap. And his agility is a bit questionable I think, not great at decelerating or changing direction quickly. But he has really developed a good ethic and ability to fight for the ball when it spills. Will be an intriguing player to watch.
As I say not dissimilar to Hawkins so watch closely how he’s gone about it very successfully

Southport Sharks 12.13 (85) def by Richmond 15.8 (98)
James Trezise (RIC)
5 Rhyan Mansell (RIC)
5 Tyler Sonsie (RIC)
4 Jacob Dawson (SS)
4 Thomson Dow (RIC)
3 Boyd Woodcock (SS)
2 Brayden Crossley (SS)
1 Jake McQueen (SS)

Southport Sharks 12.13 (85) def by Richmond 15.8 (98)
James Trezise (RIC)
5 Rhyan Mansell (RIC)
5 Tyler Sonsie (RIC)
4 Jacob Dawson (SS)
4 Thomson Dow (RIC)
3 Boyd Woodcock (SS)
2 Brayden Crossley (SS)
1 Jake McQueen (SS)
That's a really weird spread of votes. Both coach's 5 and 4 didn't get a vote from the other.

That's a really weird spread of votes. Both coach's 5 and 4 didn't get a vote from the other.
Yes. And I didn't rate Trezise's game that highly. Did ok, but some really poor turnovers.
With more training with the senior squad/ experience in VFL in a fast paced game he should be able to eliminate these from his game.
Crossley deserved more votes - was instrumental in their 3rd quarter blitz.

Yes. And I didn't rate Trezise's game that highly. Did ok, but some really poor turnovers.
With more training with the senior squad/ experience in VFL in a fast paced game he should be able to eliminate these from his game.
Crossley deserved more votes - was instrumental in their 3rd quarter blitz.
His disposal is definitely a bit of a concern. Prone to the odd howler atm — not dissimilar to Balta.

Hopefully we can train that out of his game because his marking and competitiveness is a real highlight.

VFL Report: Round 17​

Richmond VFL coach Steve Morris provides a summary of how the Tigers’ players performed in Saturday's win over Southport at Fankhauser Reserve.

Tyler Sonsie (27 disposals, 11 contested possessions, six clearances, four marks, one goal)

"I thought he was right back towards his best. He had a much better balance between contested and uncontested possession, and he stepped in really well, leading us with six clearances."

Tom Brown (26 disposals, 11 rebound-50s, five marks)

"Continued his good form on the weekend. Probably wasn't quite as clean as he usually is with the footy in hand, but made some really good decisions and continues to be strong on defence."

Rhyan Mansell (25 disposals, eight marks, six tackles, two goals)

"I thought he was clearly our best player on the day. He stepped in really well as a forward, was really important on the wing at stages, had a team-high six tackles and kicked two really classy goals as well."

James Trezise (24 disposals, seven marks, six rebound-50s, three inside-50s)

"Another standout game. Won the ball back for us really well behind the footy, and played to our system really well. We're continuing to work with him on his offensive involvement, and I think he can continue to take that to another level."

Thomson Dow (21 disposals, four clearances, one goal)

"It was the best he's kicked the ball all season, his skills were beautiful on the day and he looked engaged around stoppage and dynamic. He continued his good form and also kicked a really important goal late in the third quarter from long range."

Bigoa Nyuon (18 disposals, 10 marks, six inside-50s, one goal)

"Had a pretty good game. He took 10 marks on the day and he kicked a goal and probably dropped a couple of marks inside 50 that would have given him scoring shots. But, I thought he had a much bigger influence on the game on the weekend."

Judson Clarke (16 disposals, seven marks, one goal)

"He looked really lively on the day. Played majority on the wing just through necessity and game situation, and I thought his speed and skills really stood out. He kicked the ball beautifully on the day and finished off with a lovely goal from a tight angle around his body."

Noah Cumberland (14 disposals, six marks, five inside-50s, two goals)

"One of the more dynamic, explosive players on the ground. The opposition found it really difficult to tackle him, and he won contests ahead of the footy. He was selfless at times, which was great to see, and I was really pleased with his output."

Kaelan Bradtke (12 disposals, four marks, three goals)

"I thought it was his best game of the season. He's struck a really good patch of form. He kicked three goals on the day, took a couple of really strong contested marks, and looked to bring other players into the game. He was an imposing big man on the ground."

Matt Coulthard (11 disposals, four marks, one goal)

"His work rate certainly couldn't be questioned. He could have made a little bit more of his opportunities on the day, but the impact that he had, both from an offensive point of view but more importantly, from a defensive point of view, was pretty sound."

Steely Green (11 disposals, six marks, six inside-50s)

"Had a good day that could have been a lot better if we had have used him on a number of occasions. He's learning his role as a half-forward really well and we've seen great gains from his game over the last six to eight weeks. A really exciting player for us moving forwards."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back