Preview Round 14 v Saints MCG Saturday June 17th 7.25pm - Cotchin 300th

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok so who replaces Young as our 2nd key defensive back if you drop him without hurting our structure which has worked well the last 3 games?

Miller has barely played back over the last 2 seasons, Bauer is less experienced that Young, Nyoun has also played very little KPD over 2 years as well.
Grimes and Broad pinch hit and we bring in another mid sized defender until Gibcus is ready to go.
It’s what we did last week to move Young off Jye Amiss and we looked a lot better.

I think we need to invest games into Young and get as many games possible into him for our long term defensive prospects
Balta / Young / Gibcus are our next KPD.

Extremely likely we dont make finals this year so getting games into these boys when possible is a start for your next 6-8 years in defence
Not when finals are still on the line. Until finals are impossible it should be best 22/23 every week.

I think we need to invest games into Young and get as many games possible into him for our long term defensive prospects
Balta / Young / Gibcus are our next KPD.

Extremely likely we dont make finals this year so getting games into these boys when possible is a start for your next 6-8 years in defence
If we win this week we will likely be 2 points outside the 8 with a decent fixture to come and Gibcus, Hopper and Lynch (Tarrant?) to come back into the side as the year unfolds. We are in the finals race.

Getting games into an out of form Young has no more benefit than getting games into our other players like Banks, Hugo, Sonsie, Tresize etc.

You play them when their form says they are up to it, you don’t carry them.

Ok so who replaces Young as our 2nd key defensive back if you drop him without hurting our structure which has worked well the last 3 games?

Miller has barely played back over the last 2 seasons, Bauer is less experienced that Young, Nyoun has also played very little KPD over 2 years as well.
any of those footballers you mention my preferred option would be Miller, young has been ok at first but like a lot of First season players they go off the boil after 6 or 8 games, it's a gruelling season. you have pumped his tyres up a little bit too much and his inflated stats mean nothing if he is leaking goals and is just a dour spoiler, time to give miller another crack down back. until gibcus or tarrant is ready and then reassess

Outs: Pickett, Mansell
Ins: Miller, Maurice Junior

* i’m hoping the Tigers make another late change with young to go out and banks to debut. Or if banks doesn’t debut hugo comes in for young. Hugo as we know, can play as the seventh defender, and Baker More forward and mid. Miller can easily play the young role. Hugo like miller is versatile, and if needed, can play forward (the pickett role), aerially he’s pretty good and has the pace.

We do not need both miller and young in the side.

Sub: RalphSmith (if banks debuts).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The selection of Rioli is a little baffling, he did nothing on return to VFL and had done not much in the senior side this year.

I guess it's about structure, would have been Cumbo if he wasn't injured.

Suspect that’s exactly it. I would have Banks as the next guy in line, but suspect Match Committee don’t want to change the team make up too much, and Banks probably means too many flipped magnets.

Coulthard and Greene probably aren’t as up to speed with the systems etc. to warrant a game.

Certainly didn’t warrant a recall but now it’s up to MRJ to nail the opportunity.

Why did Miller replace Pickett? Surely Young comes out as a late change..?

Pickett was playing a third tall forward. At a guess they’ll keep Ryan more in the forward half and less ruck with Miller doing backup duties.

Similar to above, think Cumberland if fit would play this role if not for injury.

any of those footballers you mention my preferred option would be Miller, young has been ok at first but like a lot of First season players they go off the boil after 6 or 8 games, it's a gruelling season. you have pumped his tyres up a little bit too much and his inflated stats mean nothing if he is leaking goals and is just a dour spoiler, time to give miller another crack down back. until gibcus or tarrant is ready and then reassess
I'm pretty sure we can easily replace a spoiler. What worries me about Young is his lack of pace, he panics under the slightest of pressure and fumbles too. As I said I don't believe he has enough tricks in his kit bag to be playing seniors.
This is his 9 games ave stats.

young.jpg

Sonsie replaces MRJ as an EMG:

Round 14, Richmond v St Kilda, Saturday, June 17, 7:25pm AEST, MCG

BacksNoah Balta21Dylan Grimes2Nathan Broad35
Half-BacksJayden Short 15Nick Vlastuin1Daniel Rioli17
CentrelineKamdyn McIntosh33Tim Taranto14Jack Ross5
Half-ForwardsShai Bolton29Liam Baker7Jack Graham34
ForwardsSamson Ryan32Jack Riewoldt8Dustin Martin4
FollowersToby Nankervis25Trent Cotchin9Dion Prestia3
InterchangeTylar Young45Maurice Rioli10Ben Miller46
Judson Clarke42
EmergenciesHugo Ralphsmith13Sam Banks41Tyler Sonsie40
Ivan Soldo20

Banks can't get a game because there are no spots available on the wing or half back and he's not overly flexible with the positions he can play.
not to mention he is working on his contested game which isnt at the level yet.

If we win this week we will likely be 2 points outside the 8 with a decent fixture to come and Gibcus, Hopper and Lynch (Tarrant?) to come back into the side as the year unfolds. We are in the finals race.

Getting games into an out of form Young has no more benefit than getting games into our other players like Banks, Hugo, Sonsie, Tresize etc.

You play them when their form says they are up to it, you don’t carry them.

Ive seen a lot of people say we have a good run home, I dont see it. We will prob still need to win 8/10 from here. We play both Bulldogs and Saints at Marvel late in the year, they arent the sort of games we win. If we drop both we need to win every other game. That includes Brisi away, Port away, Melbourne. Then there is our obvious loss to North.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back