VFL Round 17 v Southport Fankhauser Reserve Saturday July 15 11.35am

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really Bo as we have Coulthard, NIWL and MRJ as smalls forwards. Mansell was good today playing that Short role.
Did he , I only watched the 4Q , I thought he’d grown into his role at senior level and rate him a fair bit higher in terms of his impact than mrj and MP who both occupy those roles , he was actually born and bred on the HBF , that’s where he was playing when we scouted him from sanfl

Did he , I only watched the 4Q , I thought he’d grown into his role at senior level and rate him a fair bit higher in terms of his impact than mrj and MP who both occupy those roles , he was actually born and bred on the HBF , that’s where he was playing when we scouted him from sanfl
Dropped back midway in the third to try and stop the rot and they only scored one more goal. He was a steadying influence back there.

We didn’t have an extra ruck last week.
A bit different when you're playing the VFL game at Punt Road and the AFL game at the MCG a few hours later, if you suddenly need a tall to come in you can bring one across, when you've got one team in Queensland and the other in WA, you play the the percentages and take the traveling tall with you

A bit different when you're playing the VFL game at Punt Road and the AFL game at the MCG a few hours later, if you suddenly need a tall to come in you can bring one across, when you've got one team in Queensland and the other in WA, you play the the percentages and take the traveling tall with you
RT I don’t see the point in taking an extra giraffe to WA

Sonsie's defensive work was much better today.
Mansell definitely played above the level.
Bradtke's improvement over the last month has been significant.

I only saw bits of the last half so far but Sonsie really caught my eye. It is the first time this season I have seen him looking sharp around the ball, more in line with his best 2022 form. this is extremely encouraging.

Mansell even last year was fantastic in the VFL when he played in defence, way too good for the opposition. He looks to be improving with time on the list too. Has done two full pre-seasons now and is just turned 23, so hitting his prime. He has shown something as a forward and defender at AFL level and at the least should provide very very capable depth for us.

Bradtke has only just turned 22 and it will be interesting to see whether he is retained. You would fancy he should be. Doesn't appear to have a great leap, but given a bit more development craft wise, he seems to have everything else a key forward might need to be a useful AFL player. Seems to have learned to be a very team orientated player, so has been schooled really well. I have really enjoyed watching him in recent matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only saw bits of the last half so far but Sonsie really caught my eye. It is the first time this season I have seen him looking sharp around the ball, more in line with his best 2022 form. this is extremely encouraging.

Mansell even last year was fantastic in the VFL when he played in defence, way too good for the opposition. He looks to be improving with time on the list too. Has done two full pre-seasons now and is just turned 23, so hitting his prime. He has shown something as a forward and defender at AFL level and at the least should provide very very capable depth for us.

Bradtke has only just turned 22 and it will be interesting to see whether he is retained. You would fancy he should be. Doesn't appear to have a great leap, but given a bit more development craft wise, he seems to have everything else a key forward might need to be a useful AFL player. Seems to have learned to be a very team orientated player, so has been schooled really well. I have really enjoyed watching him in recent matches.
Bradke needs to watch a lot of.tape of Tom Hawkins and how he’s carved a career , very similar shape and agility . Needs to use that bulk to his advantage like Hawkins just push everyone else out of the way

RT I don’t see the point in taking an extra giraffe to WA
So what happens if one of Jack Ivan or Miller wakes up sick tomorrow and can't play? That is why you take the extra tall to the other side of the country

So what happens if one of Jack Ivan or Miller wakes up sick tomorrow and can't play? That is why you take the extra tall to the other side of the country
wont be missed in reality RT as it would just make us slower as the tall replacements are actually liabilities.Ryan needs to play as many vfl games as possible to gain confidence back in his game and to work on his basic skill needs. He shouldn’t be holidaying in WA.

wont be missed in reality RT as it would just make us slower as the tall replacements are actually liabilities.Ryan needs to play as many vfl games as possible to gain confidence back in his game and to work on his basic skill needs. He shouldn’t be holidaying in WA.
Agree. And his family and friends could have made a short trip down the highway to watch him play.

End of the day got a win with an undersize ruck.

Could have Sent Cumberland as the fwd line emergency.. means good replacement for Jack.. if Soldo could not play. Miller rucks Cumberland fwd. Miller can't play? Replacement in the fwd line.

VFL game finished early. Could have flown Cumberland and Ryan to Perth

State of origin rugby payers back up a mid week game with a club game on the weekend.

Thought it was Sonsies best game of the year. Good balance of inside/outside in the midfield.

Mansel a new role!? Defensive wing. Maybe looking at developing as a possible replacement for KMac, or at least an option. Played the role well, great gut running on a very big ground.

Brown was good. I think he’ll get his chance soon.

Tresize is tracking nicely, starting to get mid 20s now, which is a step up from early in the year. Needs to tidy up on his foot skills.

Bradtke starting to get some fitness, moving a lot better than when he first returned from the foot injury. Not sure how he’s game will translate to AFL. Don’t think he’ll be able to successfully push/shove against bigger AFL defenders and does he have the athleticism!? we’ll see when/if he gets his opportunity.

Top game from Melville, of hb along with Brown probably our best user by foot

Bradke needs to watch a lot of.tape of Tom Hawkins and how he’s carved a career , very similar shape and agility . Needs to use that bulk to his advantage like Hawkins just push everyone else out of the way
Yes K.B has a touch of the Miller's about him when it comes to agro!

Thought it was Sonsies best game of the year. Good balance of inside/outside in the midfield.

Mansel a new role!? Defensive wing. Maybe looking at developing as a possible replacement for KMac, or at least an option. Played the role well, great gut running on a very big ground.

Brown was good. I think he’ll get his chance soon.

Tresize is tracking nicely, starting to get mid 20s now, which is a step up from early in the year. Needs to tidy up on his foot skills.

Bradtke starting to get some fitness, moving a lot better than when he first returned from the foot injury. Not sure how he’s game will translate to AFL. Don’t think he’ll be able to successfully push/shove against bigger AFL defenders and does he have the athleticism!? we’ll see when/if he gets his opportunity.

Top game from Melville, of hb along with Brown probably our best user by foot

Bradtke seems to have really good straight line speed. Not necessarily a great leap. And his agility is a bit questionable I think, not great at decelerating or changing direction quickly. But he has really developed a good ethic and ability to fight for the ball when it spills. Will be an intriguing player to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back