Preview Round 19 v Hawthorn MCG Saturday July 22 1.45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People make it sound like we've ignored the kids this year.

Ryan 14 games
Young 13 games (mature aged rookie[24] in first year)
Hugo 13 games
Clarke 13 games
Ross 13* games
Mansell 12* games
Miller 11* games
Maurice 8 games
Cumberland 8 games
Sonsie 3 games
Banks 2* games
Bauer 1 game
Dow 1 game
Coulthard debut game this week

Bold - debuted this year
* - playing this week

That's 14 players that have been afforded opportunities to debut/continue their development. Some have taken their chance and find themselves established in the 22, others are on the fringe alternating between the sub and a full game, while the remainder haven't quite made the most of it and find themselves back in the VFL to continue to work on their games.

What that shows is that we're gradually making the transition to the next generation and we've done it in a way that ensures that we remain competitive in the majority of games, which can only assist their development. The other aspect that has aided their development IMO is that for the most part, we haven't simply picked kids because they are kids, but instead we've made them earn their spots and when they've got in, we haven't necessarily kept them in regardless of performances, in fact if they haven't generally played well enough to keep their spot they have quickly found themselves back out of the side, which again aids their development as they quickly learn that consistency is the key to staying in the side.

It will be interesting to see if we reward any more kids in the run to the end of the season as there are a few in the VFL that are knocking on the door. It may just be a case of waiting to see if we remain in contention for finals or not.

That can't be right, the bottom hasn't fallen out and the sky hasn't fallen. We need to delist all those youngsters who haven't played 20 games and start again because they aren't Nick Daicos.

Not a real rebuild. :D

NO I've still got the beautiful GWS lady, but she's driving me crazy with Kingsley>>>>minibus.
Not too sure thats based on their coaching ability mate
1689923944113.jpeg V
images

Kingsley is a friggen unit

Ryan 14 games
Hugo 13 games
Clarke 13 games
Ross 13* games
Mansell 12* games
Miller 11* games
Maurice 8 games
Cumberland 8 games
Sonsie 3 games
Banks 2* games
Bauer 1 game
Dow 1 game

Bold - debuted this year
* - playing this week

That's 14 players that have been afforded opportunities to debut/continue their development. Some have taken their chance and find themselves established in the 22, others are on the fringe alternating between the sub and a full game, while the remainder haven't quite made the most of it and find themselves back in the VFL to continue to work on their games.

What that shows is that we're gradually making the transition to the next generation and we've done it in a way that ensures that we remain competitive in the majority of games, which can only assist their development. The other aspect that has aided their development IMO is that for the most part, we haven't simply picked kids because they are kids, but instead we've made them earn their spots and when they've got in, we haven't necessarily kept them in regardless of performances, in fact if they haven't generally played well enough to keep their spot they have quickly found themselves back out of the side, which again aids their development as they quickly learn that consistency is the key to staying in the side.

It will be interesting to see if we reward any more kids in the run to the end of the season as there are a few in the VFL that are knocking on the door. It may just be a case of waiting to see if we remain in contention for finals or not.
Most have been given opportunities bc of injuries and suspension and as I stated it's still the same core built with the senior players. Do a game count on the senior players that have been available all year. All the MC is doing is swapping a kid for a kid as I've been saying. The major culprits are still getting a game. Pickett missed one game , JGTI and Hopper etc etc which opened up doors , but , Pickett, JGTI and KMAC are always playing unless for reasons stated.

Ryan 14 games see Miller
Young 13 games - If Tarrant was fit he would be rotting in VFL
Hugo 13 games- Mainly sub and in and out with a Mansell or Clarke replacement
Clarke 13 games- -see for HRS
Ross 13* games- Ross was best 22 towards end of last year and his hardly a kid. lol MC did drop him though
Mansell 12* games -He's basically been all year and replaced JC and Aarts as our small forward stocks were slim early in year. Still wasn't recalled after suspension
Miller 11* games - Miller has rotated with Ryan and only played with him bc of suspension and injuries to Nank and injuries to Soldo.
Maurice 8 games.
Cumberland 8 games- basically rotated with Mansell , MRJ and Clarke
Sonsie 3 games- played early based on 22 form , but was replaced by Clarke or another kid
Banks 2* games replaced Short
Bauer 1 game replaced by another kid as for Dow.
Dow 1 game

Last edited:
That can't be right, the bottom hasn't fallen out and the sky hasn't fallen. We need to delist all those youngsters who haven't played 20 games and start again because they aren't Nick Daicos.

Not a real rebuild. :D
I’m Nick Daicos, and so is my wife!

Most have been given opportunities bc of injuries and suspension and as I stated it's still the same core built with the senior players. Do a game count on the senior players that have been available all year. All the MC is doing is swapping a kid for a kid as I've been saying. The major culprits are still getting a game.

Ryan 14 games see Miller
Young 13 games - If Tarrant was fit he would be rotting in VFL
Hugo 13 games- Mainly sub and in and out with a Mansell or Clarke replacement
Clarke 13 games- -see for HRS
Ross 13* games- Ross was best 22 towards end of last year and his hardly a kid. lol MC did drop him though
Mansell 12* games -He's basically been all year and replaced JC and Aarts as our small forward stocks were slim early in year. Still wasn't recalled after suspension
Miller 11* games - Miller has rotated with Ryan and only played with him bc of suspension and injuries to Nank and injuries to Soldo.
Maurice 8 games.
Cumberland 8 games- basically rotated with Mansell , MRJ and Clarke
Sonsie 3 games- played early based on 22 form , but was replaced by Clarke or another kid
Banks 2* games replaced Short
Bauer 1 game replaced by another kid as for Dow.
Dow 1 game
Whether it's been by design or misfortune we've played plenty of kids and of course we've maintained the core of the side, which has meant that we're not throwing the kids to the wolves and asking them to carry the load, like we did way back when Wallace was coach and then in Hardwicks early years as we went through a complete rebuild.

What we've done this year is exactly what you'd expect a team rebuilding on the run to do. We haven't gone down the path that Hawthorn went and completely rid ourselves of our established players and just go with the kids, nor have we gone the Geelong path of looking for more experienced types to trade in and fill holes in our list. What we've done is blend the 2 approaches, hit the draft hard when we've felt the draft class was strong and then targeted experienced types (Taranto & Hopper) to fill glaring holes in the list. What that has meant is that we haven't had to rush the kids, but instead we've given most of them a good 'apprenticeship' in the VFL to allow them to settle in to life as AFL players.

I expect that in 2024, whether it's McQualter or another coach in charge, we'll see a similar approach, albeit probably a little more youth focused.

Ryan 14 games
Hugo 13 games
Clarke 13 games
Ross 13* games
Mansell 12* games
Miller 11* games
Maurice 8 games
Cumberland 8 games
Sonsie 3 games
Banks 2* games
Bauer 1 game
Dow 1 game

Bold - debuted this year
* - playing this week

You know we don’t listen to facts here;)

Whether it's been by design or misfortune we've played plenty of kids and of course we've maintained the core of the side, which has meant that we're not throwing the kids to the wolves and asking them to carry the load, like we did way back when Wallace was coach and then in Hardwicks early years as we went through a complete rebuild.

What we've done this year is exactly what you'd expect a team rebuilding on the run to do. We haven't gone down the path that Hawthorn went and completely rid ourselves of our established players and just go with the kids, nor have we gone the Geelong path of looking for more experienced types to trade in and fill holes in our list. What we've done is blend the 2 approaches, hit the draft hard when we've felt the draft class was strong and then targeted experienced types (Taranto & Hopper) to fill glaring holes in the list. What that has meant is that we haven't had to rush the kids, but instead we've given most of them a good 'apprenticeship' in the VFL to allow them to settle in to life as AFL players.

I expect that in 2024, whether it's McQualter or another coach in charge, we'll see a similar approach, albeit probably a little more youth focused.
No as kids have been dropped for playing similar to better games than some of the GOATS. JGTI ,Pickett , KMAC and Grimes have been terrible for the majority of the season. It's not picking the best 22.

No as kids have been dropped for playing similar to better games than some of the GOATS. JGTI ,Pickett , KMAC and Grimes have been terrible for the majority of the season. It's not picking the best 22.
There's a difference between picking the best 22 on talent and the best 22 that allows us to be competitive most weeks. Now given McQualter is 5-2 since taking over with only the Lions post bye performance not competitive, I'd say we've done it quite nicely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guy at work is a Hawks fan and was saying that apart from their midfield they are pretty shoddy. If we can at least break even in the middle they will crumble over the game.

So here's hoping he is right.

And we need to play more kids to have a good squad. And decent BF person knows that the younger the list the better.

Guy at work is a Hawks fan and was saying that apart from their midfield they are pretty shoddy. If we can at least break even in the middle they will crumble over the game.

So here's hoping he is right.

And we need to play more kids to have a good squad. And decent BF person knows that the younger the list the better.
That would be extremely disappointing if we are just breaking even in the middle
Taranto - Hopper - Martin - Cotchin - Bolton - Baker - Graham - Prestia against a bunch of kids

In all Honesty which of the kids has shown anything worth picking?
Clark hummm Has some moments but very few perhaps might improve.
Mrj Hummm No
Sonsie F no
Ralf No
Dow No
Bauer thinks this guy will make it
Banks too early to tell maybe.
Coulthard doesn't know what I have seen nothing special
Gib all this forward talk is nonsense build wise he could be Grimes's replacement.
Cumbo I love him but the club doesn't won't be on the list.
Tresize looks ok won't know till he is tested.
Bradke hummmm don't like runs around like a struggling horse and drops easy marks.
Have not included Young mature age nor Ross as he has made it and if I see him dropped again there is something wrong with our system. Mansell is just fare good squad player.
I don't see the next few years as promising as others and by the selectors picking it, it justifies what I fear. Like them or not they can only pick what they think is right.
Disclaimer
Ohhh F it's 2am I'll get picked on again :)
This is my opinion only If I have caused any dis harmony perhaps it's time for you to join E Harmony o_O

In all Honesty which of the kids has shown anything worth picking?
Clark hummm Has some moments but very few perhaps might improve.
Mrj Hummm No
Sonsie F no
Ralf No
Dow No
Bauer thinks this guy will make it
Banks too early to tell maybe.
Coulthard doesn't know what I have seen nothing special
Gib all this forward talk is nonsense build wise he could be Grimes's replacement.
Cumbo I love him but the club doesn't won't be on the list.
Tresize looks ok won't know till he is tested.
Bradke hummmm don't like runs around like a struggling horse and drops easy marks.
Have not included Young mature age nor Ross as he has made it and if I see him dropped again there is something wrong with our system. Mansell is just fare good squad player.
I don't see the next few years as promising as others and by the selectors picking it, it justifies what I fear. Like them or not they can only pick what they think is right.
Disclaimer
Ohhh F it's 2am I'll get picked on again :)
This is my opinion only If I have caused any dis harmony perhaps it's time for you to join E Harmony o_O
Brown and Trezise could easily replace The Cheshire Cat and the Carpenter. Either Coulthard, MRJ or NIWL would all be better than the Walrus. When MRJ is in the side we have a high winning strike rate. JGTI is an absolute liability. The kids haven’t been given the full run of games as those three players.

Brown and Trezise could easily replace The Cheshire Cat and the Carpenter. Either Coulthard, MRJ or NIWL would all be better than the Walrus. When MRJ is in the side we have a high winning strike rate. JGTI is an absolute liability. The kids haven’t been given the full run of games as those three players.
We had a good strike rate when George was in also MrJ offers the same. You sprouse up Coulthard Brown but unless I see them play I can't judge from what I have seen in ressies I'm not sure they are any better than what's out there. Again I stress people screaming for youngsters but they have been trying them and they offer little to very little you can't expect them to play all of them at once.

We had a good strike rate when George was in also MrJ offers the same. You sprouse up Coulthard Brown but unless I see them play I can't judge from what I have seen in ressies I'm not sure they are any better than what's out there. Again I stress people screaming for youngsters but they have been trying them and they offer little to very little you can't expect them to play all of them at once.
You’re missing the point here and that is senior players constantly down on form aren’t being dropped, but youngsters are.
It wreaks of a boys club as there’s no consistency with their selection criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back