Preview Round 19 v Hawthorn MCG Saturday July 22 1.45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People make it sound like we've ignored the kids this year.

Ryan 14 games
Young 13 games (mature aged rookie[24] in first year)
Hugo 13 games
Clarke 13 games
Ross 13* games
Mansell 12* games
Miller 11* games
Maurice 8 games
Cumberland 8 games
Sonsie 3 games
Banks 2* games
Bauer 1 game
Dow 1 game
Coulthard debut game this week

Bold - debuted this year
* - playing this week

That's 14 players that have been afforded opportunities to debut/continue their development. Some have taken their chance and find themselves established in the 22, others are on the fringe alternating between the sub and a full game, while the remainder haven't quite made the most of it and find themselves back in the VFL to continue to work on their games.

What that shows is that we're gradually making the transition to the next generation and we've done it in a way that ensures that we remain competitive in the majority of games, which can only assist their development. The other aspect that has aided their development IMO is that for the most part, we haven't simply picked kids because they are kids, but instead we've made them earn their spots and when they've got in, we haven't necessarily kept them in regardless of performances, in fact if they haven't generally played well enough to keep their spot they have quickly found themselves back out of the side, which again aids their development as they quickly learn that consistency is the key to staying in the side.

It will be interesting to see if we reward any more kids in the run to the end of the season as there are a few in the VFL that are knocking on the door. It may just be a case of waiting to see if we remain in contention for finals or not.
Thank you.

Whether it's been by design or misfortune we've played plenty of kids and of course we've maintained the core of the side, which has meant that we're not throwing the kids to the wolves and asking them to carry the load, like we did way back when Wallace was coach and then in Hardwicks early years as we went through a complete rebuild.

What we've done this year is exactly what you'd expect a team rebuilding on the run to do. We haven't gone down the path that Hawthorn went and completely rid ourselves of our established players and just go with the kids, nor have we gone the Geelong path of looking for more experienced types to trade in and fill holes in our list. What we've done is blend the 2 approaches, hit the draft hard when we've felt the draft class was strong and then targeted experienced types (Taranto & Hopper) to fill glaring holes in the list. What that has meant is that we haven't had to rush the kids, but instead we've given most of them a good 'apprenticeship' in the VFL to allow them to settle in to life as AFL players.

I expect that in 2024, whether it's McQualter or another coach in charge, we'll see a similar approach, albeit probably a little more youth focused.
Bingo, who would have thought playing young guys in amongst senior experienced players is the wrong way to go about it. How does playing all the kids and dropping senior guys worked for other clubs going? The same people bitching about us not playing (basically) the VFL side are the same ones if we were losing would be headless about the coaching/direction of the club etc.
And the kids who have been dropped have been replaced with kids in form in the VFL. Cumbo's dropping was justified. MRJ's yep. On top of that, the VFL is our school. So maybe, just maybe, when a guy like Clarke gets dropped, maybe something has been identified by the coaching group which he needs to work on? The futures pretty exciting in my eyes.

No BB it’s stating facts ? 😇🥸
So just for everyone here, you actually know the KPI's the coaching group and MC are looking for when making match day selections? So what are the facts? What aren't they doing? Please, tell us more.

So just for everyone here, you actually know the KPI's the coaching group and MC are looking for when making match day selections? So what are the facts? What aren't they doing? Please, tell us more.
No i look at player performances just like what they do when they drop the kids. Surely isn’t that obvious to you?

No i look at player performances just like what they do when they drop the kids. Surely isn’t that obvious to you?
So you have 0 knowledge on what meets selection criteria at the RFC? No idea at all. Thanks for confirming.

C'mon mate, as fans we don't have access to anywhere near the amount of info that the coaches do. We're also not privy to the specific roles each player is being asked to perform.

That's not to say that the coaches are always 100% correct, but it's naive to think that we know better than the folks who spend 5 days a week with the players.

So you have 0 knowledge on what meets selection criteria at the RFC? No idea at all. Thanks for confirming.
Do you as then why are the kids getting dropped as you’re saying it was warranted? What koi’s did they not meet that Kmac and JGTI have met in their lacklustre performances? Cut the rubbish out and use your eyes

C'mon mate, as fans we don't have access to anywhere near the amount of info that the coaches do. We're also not privy to the specific roles each player is being asked to perform.

That's not to say that the coaches are always 100% correct, but it's naive to think that we know better than the folks who spend 5 days a week with the players.
I didnt say I was better and far from it. I’m just curious to why some can say kid A B and C can get dropped, but using only my eyes to observe you can see Senior player D E and F also didnt perform. That’s all us fans can do is comment on what we observe.

I didnt say I was better and far from it. I’m just curious to why some can say kid A B and C can get dropped, but using only my eyes to observe you can see Senior player D E and F also didnt perform. That’s all us fans can do is comment on what we observe.
Again, because we don't know what KPIs and roles each player is being given. So even if a player (eg. McIntosh who has copped some flak from supporters the last couple of weeks) seems to have had a bad match stat or eye-wise, maybe they're doing enough in the coach's eyes in terms of role to stay in the team as there aren't obvious replacements from the VFL.

Probably the best example of this is Cumberland early season. Just about every supporter, myself included, wanted him in the team but he wasn't getting games. Then some info comes out about his lack of defensive effort and it all starts to make sense about why he isn't consistently being selected.

Do you as then why are the kids getting dropped as you’re saying it was warranted? What koi’s did they not meet that Kmac and JGTI have met in their lacklustre performances? Cut the rubbish out and use your eyes
I have stated many times I don’t know. That’s the point. I’m not arrogant enough to think i know better.
But i DO know in listening to interviews with KDH in particular they don’t assess games on kicks, marks and other basic things. We have no idea of the specific roles these guys are set from game to game. If they are being selected, there must be a reason for it.

Again, because we don't know what KPIs and roles each player is being given. So even if a player (eg. McIntosh who has copped some flak from supporters the last couple of weeks) seems to have had a bad match stat or eye-wise, maybe they're doing enough in the coach's eyes in terms of role to stay in the team as there aren't obvious replacements from the VFL.

Probably the best example of this is Cumberland early season. Just about every supporter, myself included, wanted him in the team but he wasn't getting games. Then some info comes out about his lack of defensive effort and it all starts to make sense about why he isn't consistently being selected.
It’s also the impact their opponents are having. Kmac, Grimes , JGTI have had opponents make a mess of them. I just think it’s ridiculous to single out kids for not performing if Senior players aren’t. The coaches eyes got it wrong with Ross which tells me they’re not switched on and are dropping kids rather senior players Bc it’s an easier thing to do. Brown could play Kmac or JGTI easily.
KMac getting selected bc he has 8 possessions and runs two thirds of a marathon tells me he was ball and opponent chasing and that’s what my Eyes observed.

I have stated many times I don’t know. That’s the point. I’m not arrogant enough to think i know better.
But i DO know in listening to interviews with KDH in particular they don’t assess games on kicks, marks and other basic things. We have no idea of the specific roles these guys are set from game to game. If they are being selected, there must be a reason for it.
You stated the kids should’ve been dropped in earlier posts. 😂

You’re missing the point here and that is senior players constantly down on form aren’t being dropped, but youngsters are.
It wreaks of a boys club as there’s no consistency with their selection criteria.
Name of the game is winning at least we do that. I don't rate Kmac & JGTI at all but I've given up worrying about their selection. JG did have one good game a few weeks ago. I didn't even expect MRJ to be dropped. Thank god he was. Mansell and Coulthard debut. Great. Banks stays IN. Fantastic. Cumberland, Sonz, Tresize and Brown had good games and seems like Mini is starting to debut players like Bauer. Hope to see a few more soon.

Funny our mid season draftees debut before our first rounder? Typical Richmond.

Pickett up forward kicked 2 goals. Our equal best. I have no issues with Grimes form and demeanour on field. Young down back has been a revelation. Playing well enough to allow us to trial Gibcus forward if he ever gets fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bingo, who would have thought playing young guys in amongst senior experienced players is the wrong way to go about it. How does playing all the kids and dropping senior guys worked for other clubs going? The same people bitching about us not playing (basically) the VFL side are the same ones if we were losing would be headless about the coaching/direction of the club etc.
And the kids who have been dropped have been replaced with kids in form in the VFL. Cumbo's dropping was justified. MRJ's yep. On top of that, the VFL is our school. So maybe, just maybe, when a guy like Clarke gets dropped, maybe something has been identified by the coaching group which he needs to work on? The futures pretty exciting in my eyes.

Na we need to bottom out play kids get flogged by 100 each week and some will be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back