Player Watch #15 Sam Wicks

Remove this Banner Ad

20200705_wicks_hero.jpg

Sam Wicks

Sam Wicks is a small forward with tidy skills below his knees and an outstanding awareness around goal. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product was rookie-listed in November 2018 and was a consistent stand-out for the Sydney Swans’ NEAFL side in 2019. He became Sydney's fifth debutant of season 2020 when he was named to face Collingwood in Round 10, before finishing the season with seven appearances to his name. Wicks heads into 2021 fighting names like Tom Papley, Ben Ronke, Lewis Taylor and Sam Gray for a spot in Sydney’s best 22.

Sam Wicks
DOB: 14 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2018 Other
RECRUITED FROM: Manly-Warringah (NSW)/Sydney (NEAFL)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve got to give this guy a wrap and it’s not just because ILFP. Like his attack, tackling pressure and aggression but wanted to pose a thought. Can anyone else see him being developed into a role back in defence ? If Kon can wrestle his way into the team as a small, could wicksy get a role down back ? Think he’d go alright as a lock down defender.
You are already selling him down the drain. What has changed? Another year and YOU decide he needs to go to defence. On what data? You come on here and postulate our locally grown small fwd put his tail between his legs and wander down back to satisfy a need that does not exist yet. Cunningham has it covered. Are you Konstanty's agent?

BTW I am just joking. :)

I’ve got to give this guy a wrap and it’s not just because ILFP. Like his attack, tackling pressure and aggression but wanted to pose a thought. Can anyone else see him being developed into a role back in defence ? If Kon can wrestle his way into the team as a small, could wicksy get a role down back ? Think he’d go alright as a lock down defender.
This question has been asked many, many times. Sam has played as a midfielder in the NEAFL but to my knowledge he has not been tried as a defender. IMO it would be robbing Peter etc.
Unlike Rusty, I'm not joking.

All fair points rusty and kc. Hope he impacts the scoreboard more this year. Tackling is in his dna as a league junior which is why I thought defence.

Who do we see as a natural replacement for harry?

If his dad Ralphyboy is reading, very happy he got the contract extension.

All fair points rusty and kc. Hope he impacts the scoreboard more this year. Tackling is in his dna as a league junior which is why I thought defence.

Who do we see as a natural replacement for harry?

If his dad Ralphyboy is reading, very happy he got the contract extension.
You must've been watching for along time without posting ?

He looks dangerous when he keeps the ball in motion. Love his pressure & he does the little team things that allow other players to look good. Imo he's crucial to our forward line success next season, especially if Papley continues being used in the midfield for spurts or longer. Carn Slick Wicks.

Not too long a time - I did binge read through 250 threads in close to an all nighter last week. And have kept reading up. But yes have been a swans fan for a long time.
Hope you read the 2022 GF game day thread - lest you be under some kind of illusion as to the calm, rational nature of the board.

Never read the thread. I was there. Much worse. PTSD.
My family have a "if you are down by 60 at 3/4 time you can go home with no shame to beat the traffic"

Never thought I'd ever be in a position to use it but that day I did...

My family have a "if you are down by 60 at 3/4 time you can go home with no shame to beat the traffic"

We reached that in the 1st quarter I believe.

Still amazed Horse did not resign in the aftermath.

Still stunned that Reid is still on the list.

Still destroyed by our lack of character in the 22 GF franked by the spine absence disorder shown at Geelongs LitterBox in 23.

Still destroyed by our lack of character in the 22 GF franked by the spine absence disorder shown at Geelongs LitterBox in 23.
Then like 2 months later we score over 200 and have one of our biggest margins in club history

2023 was just ******* weird, man

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he would have me, which I’m not sure he would, I would be proud to lead the Bedders 4 Mod campaign.

Tee Hee

checks notes

Thought we were in the Unpopular AFL Opinions Thread for a moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back