Player Watch #15 Sam Wicks

Remove this Banner Ad

20200705_wicks_hero.jpg

Sam Wicks

Sam Wicks is a small forward with tidy skills below his knees and an outstanding awareness around goal. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product was rookie-listed in November 2018 and was a consistent stand-out for the Sydney Swans’ NEAFL side in 2019. He became Sydney's fifth debutant of season 2020 when he was named to face Collingwood in Round 10, before finishing the season with seven appearances to his name. Wicks heads into 2021 fighting names like Tom Papley, Ben Ronke, Lewis Taylor and Sam Gray for a spot in Sydney’s best 22.

Sam Wicks
DOB: 14 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2018 Other
RECRUITED FROM: Manly-Warringah (NSW)/Sydney (NEAFL)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it must suck to be a fringe player. Why is Sam named and not the other player.? He is effectively being punished, publicly.
For all we know, he threw a punch or something similarly stupid.

We’ll likely never know the real circumstances - but I have faith that the club handled it as well as they could.

And leaves conjecture as to the other player involved. Hamling not named on the injury report either being a possibility.

I think it must suck to be a fringe player. Why is Sam named and not the other player.? He is effectively being punished, publicly.
I would think he was named as he has been selected every game this year, then omitted this week, so his absence is noticeable, particularly after the headlines this week.
And leaves conjecture as to the other player involved. Hamling not named on the injury report either being a possibility.
I'm pretty certain Hamling is married with children so I wouldn't think so.

I would think he was named as he has been selected every game this year, then omitted this week, so his absence is noticeable, particularly after the headlines this week.

I'm pretty certain Hamling is married with children so I wouldn't think so.

I really do not want to know who the other player is. Not my business.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they play well and perform all this other s**t is none of my business to be honest .

Unless it's criminal etc , then club and players can handle how they need .

The only thing sucking is Wicks is out there now named

Just to clarify, and I have this on good authority...

There were no fights, Wicks did not "blow his fuse" or do anything else of the sort.

It was a situation that was grounded in nothing and, as often is the case, escalated into something more.

It effected Wicks personally and he was given the week off. He's as much a victim in the situation as anyone so the innuendos and speculation as to what he may or may not have done to be missing footy this week is unnecessary.

There were no fights, Wicks did not "blow his fuse" or do anything else of the sort.

It was a situation that was grounded in nothing and, as often is the case, escalated into something more.

It effected Wicks personally and he was given the week off. He's as much a victim in the situation as anyone so the innuendos and speculation as to what he may or may not have done to be missing footy this week is unnecessary.
That really sucks for Wicks, I hope he’s ok.

Good to know. Just hope everyone is OK.

I feel for Wicks. Not because I think he's an angel - he strikes me as a fiery/loyal/abrasive/strong character. He gets into scraps on the field and it's possible he does the same elsewhere.

No, the reason for my sympathy is that Sam Wicks is not a superstar, he is a fringe player, and so, if there is disharmony between him and other teammates that persists he may well be considered the more expendable one. It's not fair, but that's how it could go. Already this week he's the one who's not playing and who's name has been splashed in the press (no doubt because he's the one who was otherwise mysteriously omitted). He's paying the most obvious price for whatever has happened. I imagine that at this difficult time he must feel vulnerable, whatever outward face he maintains.

To make it sting more it happens at a time when the team is flying and pressure for spots is at a premium. Already Fox has been played forward and relegated Wicks to the bench. Now Corey is getting games and Mitchell is being blooded. Konstanty waits in the wings. Small forwards of Wicks' ilk are valued but also relatively easy to find.

I daresay the club wants to resolve the situation sensibly and will endeavour to do so; I hope they handle it adroitly. Calls for a lot of sensitivity and care. The thing that makes me optimistic is that (a) I am confident the skills exist within the club to handle the situation well; and (b) I have faith in the senior management, so hopefully they will be guided by the wisest minds, and even consult them, whoever they may be.

I would assume normally he wouldn't be named, but the recent drug news means its better to clear the air than let speculation fester that he got done for drugs.

Shitty either way but there it is.

I would assume normally he wouldn't be named, but the recent drug news means its better to clear the air than let speculation fester that he got done for drugs.

Shitty either way but there it is.
As far as I can tell it was the media who named him as opposed to the club. So it would seem the club were trying to keep it all in house, which I don't necessarily disagree with. But it's not as if the club outed him so as to not arouse innuendo of drug related issues.

As far as I can tell it was the media who named him as opposed to the club. So it would seem the club were trying to keep it all in house, which I don't necessarily disagree with. But it's not as if the club outed him so as to not arouse innuendo of drug related issues.

This is how I see it too. However, there hasn’t to be a source for the media too. That’s a bigger worry for me - an in house story getting leaked.

So if Edmund is right he was falsely accused,

But now he gets named in public and dropped effectively from both seniors and reserves? Whoever he upset (and didnt do anything too?) isn't named.

Feels like the club hang poor Sam out to dry? Either way seems like bs the way he had copped it and his pressure was missed yesterday

Who knows what happened and personally I don’t want to know as it’s a private matter.

All I know is he better be picked from here on in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back