Player Watch #15 Sam Wicks

Remove this Banner Ad

20200705_wicks_hero.jpg

Sam Wicks

Sam Wicks is a small forward with tidy skills below his knees and an outstanding awareness around goal. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product was rookie-listed in November 2018 and was a consistent stand-out for the Sydney Swans’ NEAFL side in 2019. He became Sydney's fifth debutant of season 2020 when he was named to face Collingwood in Round 10, before finishing the season with seven appearances to his name. Wicks heads into 2021 fighting names like Tom Papley, Ben Ronke, Lewis Taylor and Sam Gray for a spot in Sydney’s best 22.

Sam Wicks
DOB: 14 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2018 Other
RECRUITED FROM: Manly-Warringah (NSW)/Sydney (NEAFL)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From another angle on twitter omg okay so his 2nd goal was one of the cringiest things i have seen on a football field literally EVERYBODY had their backs turned to him heading into the center.

That does not happen even when a side is losing by 100 points, hello leadership? stamp this s**t out.
What about most of the players were still in the centRE, i was there

Hi guys, thank you for being sensible! This has been a very sad situation where false rumours were started and people got hurt. With respect to the latest there was no snubbing. Sam was miles away and by the time he'd got to the drinks person the moment was gone and everyone was resetting for the next play. The players around him at the time, Heeney, McDonald, Armatey, Jordan etc get on well with Sam.

Thanks again, and I value what you guys say which is why I keep in touch with the forum.
Well done mate , i was there and they were all along way away

Can we talk about how well he is playing, his pressure changes the team imo, seems to get more of it now too and not giving away those odd frees,

love his game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One suspects that there was a pretty serious clamp applied. If so - good.

Why is it good? I’d like to know what happened. I wish there were leaks. It’s frustrating being told that something happened but it’s none of my business what it was. F*** that nonsense, I wanna know.

Just needs a little bit of leadership from the players.

On Saturday, if Sam kicks a goal or lays a big tackle, everyone gets around him. Issue done.

Then again, that might look a bit performative, like they’re only doing it because of the media attention.

It does seem like Wicks is still on the outer with sections of the playing group. There were opportunities in the last 2 weeks to show it was behind them and they’re completely united, but the lack of enthusiasm when Wicks did something good has been hard to deny. Not that it matters really. It doesn’t seem to be affecting the performance or the results.

It was a factor in the Richmond loss though. If Wicks played instead of Mitchell, we probably would have found a way to grind it out. Mitchell simply wasn’t ready and his astounding lack of speed and lack of any involvement in the second half cost us quite a bit.

Then again, that might look a bit performative, like they’re only doing it because of the media attention.

It does seem like Wicks is still on the outer with sections of the playing group. There were opportunities in the last 2 weeks to show it was behind them and they’re completely united, but the lack of enthusiasm when Wicks did something good has been hard to deny. Not that it matters really. It doesn’t seem to be affecting the performance or the results.

It was a factor in the Richmond loss though. If Wicks played instead of Mitchell, we probably would have found a way to grind it out. Mitchell simply wasn’t ready and his astounding lack of speed and lack of any involvement in the second half cost us quite a bit.
I am not as convinced as other people, but if it is a non issue then a basic show of support from teammates I think would be good. It doesn't need to be a 17 player flash mob and I don't think it really matters if it looks like it is just because of the media attention.

Last edited:

The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that Speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Speed in all of its forms. Speed for life, money, love, knowledge, has marked the upward surge of mankind, and speed – you mark my words – will not only save the Sydney Swans, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the AFL.

I like fast players.

The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that Speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Speed in all of its forms. Speed for life, money, love, knowledge, has marked the upward surge of mankind, and speed – you mark my words – will not only save the Sydney Swans, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the AFL.

I like fast players.

At first I thought Gerard Whateley had taken over this account. But then you finished it with the tag line that we all want to read and there could be no doubt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back