Toast 150 Years of Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon as part of its strategic plan are currently building a master plan for Windy Hill. It has been in dialogue with the MV Council about how to bring the site alive and how to invest in it to ensure it becomes an active and used venue. EFC sees its future along similar lines to Vic Park. Investing in its infrastructure to ensure it’s opened up to the public for use, whilst becoming a league standard venue for its AFLW and VFzl teams. The club has earmarked significant joint investment to redevelop facilities to allow this, lighting, change rooms, media facilities etc. the Social Club and Fitness Centres to be part of the plan. Windy Hill is central to Essendon’s future plans.

Hopefully they don't get rid of the old stands. I live a few minutes drive from Windy Hill and took my kids for a walk around there a while back and they were amazed at the "facilities". From memory we coukd walk into the old coaches/media boxes too.

Hopefully they don't get rid of the old stands. I live a few minutes drive from Windy Hill and took my kids for a walk around there a while back and they were amazed at the "facilities". From memory we coukd walk into the old coaches/media boxes too.

Yeah as a Tiger fan mentioned before, it’s a god damn tragedy that RFC want to demolish the Jack Dyer Stand at Punt Rd.

It’s a work of historic art and a beautiful reminder of old time football in Melbourne.

423D9AD9-5F7C-49D3-821F-30EED4488B99.jpeg

Good to see people have managed to ignore the trolling flogs and have a productive discussion about actual history.

Any AFL fan should be interested in how the various clubs have shaped our game, those that are already 150 years old, and those to come.

You went to both spots today? Explorer alert.

View attachment 1240152

Hmmmm. It would be just like bloody local councils to unnecessarily remove pieces of the heritage of the area like this, probably in favour of something cheap and dispensible. This is from Dec 2020 on Google Maps.

That was still there in July when I last went past there. I pointed it out to my son and his mate when I took them to the Sports Museum so I specifically remember it.

always admired EFC for their consistency, seemed to jag a flag in most decades. 70s was the only dry spell before the recent one?

EFC was the quintessential 1990s club for me, with Sheeds, high profile players, and success, absolutely dominated the media. It seemed to me if they weren't talking about Carey, they were talking about the Bombers in those days.

always admired EFC for their consistency, seemed to jag a flag in most decades. 70s was the only dry spell before the recent one?

EFC was the quintessential 1990s club for me, with Sheeds, high profile players, and success, absolutely dominated the media. It seemed to me if they weren't talking about Carey, they were talking about the Bombers in those days.
1930s too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1930s too
This a decade after they left East Melbourne Football Ground which had been their home for nearly forty years.

"In 1882 the East Melbourne Cricket Club decided to invite the Essendon. team to play at East Melbourne. The invitation was accepted, and the team played. its first game there against Hotham (afterwards North Melbourne), it is a coincidence that when the ground was resumed nearly forty years afterwards the Essendon and North Melbourne teams merged.

The closure of the ground in 1921 caused a crisis in the VFA as the Essendon 'Same Old's' looked for a new home ground. North Melbourne, then in the VFA disbanded in a failed amalgamation attempt with Essendon (Assuming Essendon would move to the Arden Street Ground). But the Same Old's eventual move to Windy Hill left the Essendon VFA team (who had been playing at Windy Hill for 20 years) without a home ground, causing them too to disband. North Melbourne returned to the VFA the following year having lost many great players to Essendon, but many of the Essendon VFA players moved to North Melbourne. "

All from this website

Yeah as a Tiger fan mentioned before, it’s a god damn tragedy that RFC want to demolish the Jack Dyer Stand at Punt Rd.

It’s a work of historic art and a beautiful reminder of old time football in Melbourne.

View attachment 1240498

It opened in 1914 ffs. They can't be serious. Surely there's another way to get what they need.

Ok when your a kid you remember jumper numbers - especially your team - youd still remember the lot of them - 50-60 years later . But you also remember some - or maybe quite a few opposition team jumper numbers as well

So the Dons - 62 and 65 they won the flag - so here is my best guess re Ess numbers around that time period

I will get the certainties the easy ones out of the way 1st - Barry Davis 32 Ken Fraser 23 Ted Fordham 20 Don McKenzie 24 ( as a said earlier i admired McKenzie - he did have a bit of dirt in him - but he had a go every week - a bit like Cam Mooney ) Robin Close 19

Now the semi guesses - and i will give them in order of confidence - Charlie Payne - big Charlie Payne - i reckon he was no 1- the sole reason - i saw some Ess kid/supporter at KP - and he had one of those dufflecoats on - and he had no 1 on his back - with CP name - so i reckon im right with that one . CP also had a brother playing at Ess - but i dont know what number he was

Jack Clarke who was a top notch centreman/rover onballer - i also thought he wore no 1 - but no 1 is gone - i know Clarke had a low number so i will go no 2

John Birt - top rover - im going to have 2 guesses here ( could be totally wrong ) - and they are 5 and 11 - i can picture him in 11 - but no 5 comes into my head as well

I will give two more . Daryl Gerlach - who was a very reliable back pocket player - might have even played for Victoria - so he was a pretty good player . Something is telling me he wore no 10 - but that was Colemans number - surely they wouldnt give that to a back pocket player - hah - but im going to go with no 10 for DG

No 3 - is a famous number at Ess - and the only reason i know that - is when Paul Chapman went to Ess - Tim Watson was doing the commentary in a game - and he said wow - they have given Chapman ( no 3 ) a famous number thats Dick Reynolds number . Now this is a wild guess because i cant picture this bloke in that number - but you wouldnt reckon theyd give that number to a spud - so my stab at no 3 - is Hughie Mitchell who would have played 250 games for Ess - top FF/ and ruck rover

Ok when your a kid you remember jumper numbers - especially your team - youd still remember the lot of them - 50-60 years later . But you also remember some - or maybe quite a few opposition team jumper numbers as well

So the Dons - 62 and 65 they won the flag - so here is my best guess re Ess numbers around that time period

I will get the certainties the easy ones out of the way 1st - Barry Davis 32 Ken Fraser 23 Ted Fordham 20 Don McKenzie 24 ( as a said earlier i admired McKenzie - he did have a bit of dirt in him - but he had a go every week - a bit like Cam Mooney ) Robin Close 19

Now the semi guesses - and i will give them in order of confidence - Charlie Payne - big Charlie Payne - i reckon he was no 1- the sole reason - i saw some Ess kid/supporter at KP - and he had one of those dufflecoats on - and he had no 1 on his back - with CP name - so i reckon im right with that one . CP also had a brother playing at Ess - but i dont know what number he was

Jack Clarke who was a top notch centreman/rover onballer - i also thought he wore no 1 - but no 1 is gone - i know Clarke had a low number so i will go no 2

John Birt - top rover - im going to have 2 guesses here ( could be totally wrong ) - and they are 5 and 11 - i can picture him in 11 - but no 5 comes into my head as well

I will give two more . Daryl Gerlach - who was a very reliable back pocket player - might have even played for Victoria - so he was a pretty good player . Something is telling me he wore no 10 - but that was Colemans number - surely they wouldnt give that to a back pocket player - hah - but im going to go with no 10 for DG

No 3 - is a famous number at Ess - and the only reason i know that - is when Paul Chapman went to Ess - Tim Watson was doing the commentary in a game - and he said wow - they have given Chapman ( no 3 ) a famous number thats Dick Reynolds number . Now this is a wild guess because i cant picture this bloke in that number - but you wouldnt reckon theyd give that number to a spud - so my stab at no 3 - is Hughie Mitchell who would have played 250 games for Ess - top FF/ and ruck rover
Good effort but my recollections from about 69 onwards have Gerlach in 17 and the Payne brothers, Ian and big Charlie in 3 and 7 respectively.

I’m a bit of an Essendon nut but I’m not an expert in past jumpers before 1980.
Mitchell, Birt, McKenzie, Payne, Fordham and the great Jack Clarke are all EFC hall of famers so you’re remembering some top line bomber players.
If you lived in Perth I’d meet you at a pub and talk footy for hours and listen to more stories.
The best documentary on footy I think is the 1996 one “ 100 years of Australian Rules Footy”. If you haven’t seen it I recommend you check it out. It’s a wonderful collection of old footage and interviews with some of the greats.

It opened in 1914 ffs. They can't be serious. Surely there's another way to get what they need.

It’s akin to pulling down Flinders St station

I know they haven’t got much room there at Punt Rd and want to extend their facilities but geez it would be a shame if they go through with it.

There’s nothing better than having a beer at the London before a match and then walking to the G down the Richmond side streets past the old terrace houses and going past Punt Rd oval looking at that old stand.

It’s my go to thing when I get back to Melbourne and see games at the G.

Right so my “ Champions of Essendon “ book has the jumper numbers listed.

Jack Clarke 29(first match) then 1
Barry Davis 32
John Birt 11
Don McKenzie 24
Hugh Mitchell 31
Ken Fraser 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back