Toast 150 Years of Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Reynolds as new EFC recruit at 17 years old. In his debut season he polled 12 Brownlow votes and in his second season won the award at the age of 19.
In 1937 and 38’ he won back to back Brownlow medals as champion of the league.

320 games - 442 goals - 4 flags - 3 Brownlow Medals

3EA708FC-D1A2-4D8C-A539-BA6F58CA6BE7.jpeg

Last edited:
Was it demolished in the 70's?

Grandstand history from Wikipedia Windy Hill

The venue currently has three grandstands:

R. S. Reynolds Stand – built when Essendon relocated from the East Melbourne Cricket Ground. It was originally known simply as the main grandstand; in April 1951, it was named in honour of the still active captain-coach Dick Reynolds, who had at that stage led the club to four premierships.[19]
Alan T. Hird Stand – opened in 1973, it houses the club's Social Club. Named after former club president and player Allan Hird, who was also the grandfather of club legend James Hird
W. H. Cookson Stand – originally named the Memorial Stand, it was built in 1963. Was designed by Essendon player Jack Clarke.
Former stands and features included:

W. R. Crichton Shelter – located on the southern wing, it was mainly terraced standing room with limited seats at the front. It was removed to make way for the Essendon Bowls Club, which had lost their greens with the construction of the leisure centre. Removed approximately 1994.
A. F. Showers Pavilion – The ground included a significant heritage stand, the A.F. Showers Stand. Designed by Essendon architect Harry Winbush[20] and built in 1939, it was the last major football stand to be built in Melbourne prior to World War II. After spending many years closed to the general public due to safety concerns, the Showers Stand was demolished in late 2007 to make way for more open space at the ground.

congrats on such a long running series.

my favourite episode was the one where they got strong-armed by a bowls club with 90 members.

It was meant to be. There’s no way we could’ve fitted in two ovals and the world class sporting facilities plus a giant carpark at WH that now all stand at Tullamarine in glorious fashion.

Thank you Essendon Bowls Club and you mate can shove your pathetic comedy attempt right up your arrrrrrrrrsse.

If we're celebrating their history, then at least one Essendon supporters must post one fo their nicknames from back in the day.

The Blood Stained ...
Already been mentioned ITT by the informed.

And then predictably denied by the ignorant.

My post was in reference to your clubs racist past, and what current day indigenous players on your list (he was the only one who came to mind) would think about it.

It's not me who should be ashamed.

You’re a true piece of nasty work.

Try not to be a complete and total imbecile all your life ffs.

My post was in reference to your clubs racist past, and what current day indigenous players on your list (he was the only one who came to mind) would think about it.

I would imagine current day Indigenous players are too smart to think that there are any members or staff at the club who were a part of that era

Interesting bit of trivia.

My old club in Tassie, North Launceston, who wear the red & black (and rebranded from the Robins to the Bombers in the late 90s) were known as Essendon for the (sole) season of 1898.

I would imagine current day Indigenous players are too smart to think that there are any members or staff at the club who were a part of that era

Bingo. Just like I am sure Eddie Betts and the other Indigenous players at Carlton over the years would haven't an issue over the so called racial connotations of Lily of Laguna.

I dislike Essendon as much as anyone but its a pretty piss poor reason to troll them, especially bringing modern day players into the equation.

The whole country has a racist past and, as far as the VFL (AFL) is concerned, a past history of racism wouldn't be limited to the one club.

I don't see the point of your post to be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interestingly it seems as though there is a reluctance from some in the Essendon supporter fraternity to acknowledge the club had an unpalatable moniker. That Essendon ran a club endorsed PED program. That Essendon got off lightly for intentional salary cap breeches that crippled Carlton. That a coach believed an Aboriginal player who was an integral part of the ‘92 and ‘93 would be unreliable in the ‘93 grand final for cultural reasons. That little Jobe deserves to keep his medal.

They don’t even know who they are and have an identity crisis. This documentary will be a cross between cluedo and guess who as we try and figure out which non- Essendon entity is responsible for Essendon failings that never happened …
What a load of rubbish.

The 150 years of Essendon failings are the topic of this thread. If you can’t stay on topic on the main board, go hide in the Essendon echo chamber board and deny Bomber Thomson is a drug peddling criminal.

Back to 150 years of rubbish please
Why so grumpy and angry. So much negativity, doom and gloom and then this tripe. This topic is discussing a positive celebration of a clubs history. Just because your club (Magoies or Power???) lost last week, no need to take out your anger here. Best fume over on your clubs board.

Essendon FC chose to depart Windy Hill because the Essendon Bowls Clubs wouldn’t give up their lease to their greens and allow them to redevelop the oval. The bowls club tried to merge with local clubs at the time - like Doutta Galla from memory - but other clubs baulked because it was seen to be a take over by EBC. So EFC moved to Tullamarine.

It would appear that EBC has agreed to merge with Buckley Park Bowls Club over the coming years and the combined club will play at the latter with new greens. The greens at both clubs are currently goat tracks, so new greens including carpet undercover will be a welcome improvement.

Interesting what will become of Windy Hill. I imagine the cricket club will go on playing there.
Essendon as part of its strategic plan are currently building a master plan for Windy Hill. It has been in dialogue with the MV Council about how to bring the site alive and how to invest in it to ensure it becomes an active and used venue. EFC sees its future along similar lines to Vic Park. Investing in its infrastructure to ensure it’s opened up to the public for use, whilst becoming a league standard venue for its AFLW and VFzl teams. The club has earmarked significant joint investment to redevelop facilities to allow this, lighting, change rooms, media facilities etc. the Social Club and Fitness Centres to be part of the plan. Windy Hill is central to Essendon’s future plans.

Essendon as part of its strategic plan are currently building a master plan for Windy Hill. It has been in dialogue with the MV Council about how to bring the site alive and how to invest in it to ensure it becomes an active and used venue. EFC sees its future along similar lines to Vic Park. Investing in its infrastructure to ensure it’s opened up to the public for use, whilst becoming a league standard venue for its AFLW and VFzl teams. The club has earmarked significant joint investment to redevelop facilities to allow this, lighting, change rooms, media facilities etc. the Social Club and Fitness Centres to be part of the plan. Windy Hill is central to Essendon’s future plans.
All Vic clubs should play one game a year at their home ground. It should be promoted as the history of each club promote merch for the day, gate takings and food outlets go to the club etc.. eg If Windy Hill, Princes Park, Punt Road etc.. have 10,000 capacity then sell 10,000 tickets I believe it would be ideal against a low drawing interstate club.

The knocked this down…
View attachment 1239879

and put this up.
Bit of a shame. We did a similar thing at Victoria Park around the same time.
View attachment 1239881

I’ve got a copy of “ The Mightiest Magpies” by Michael Roberts and it’s packed with many wonderful photos of Vic park. Don’t know what it is with Collingwood but there’s 10 times the historical photographs in the archives more than EFC has.
344DE7F8-FE67-492C-BB97-D06EDE06B0B7.jpeg D5297FD6-FDE7-4DC7-AAF5-AEA0E2A55E43.jpeg F0969761-1D03-43F5-A7B8-3E24679195A0.jpeg

That maybe so but this about Essendon - try to stay on topic

This thread was created to acknowledge and applaud Essendon’s 150 years in the elite competition.

Take your potting bullshit to the bay where it belongs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back