Player Watch #17: Jake Bowey – signed to 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmmmm does look more like an example of Melksham not being able to time a lead.
Or Melk tried to make space behind and double back?
Pretty sure we got a goal from this passage anyway. Bowey kicks to Riv in the guts who goes long and we get a free/Trac plays on?

You can see all of Bowey's involvement in the game here:

The main thing I noticed is that every time he had the ball in tight he was able to get a clean disposal away. A couple of hospital handballs in conjestion, but only in circumstances where he would either handball to a bloke who would be immediately wrapped up or get tackled himself and give away a free kick. That's the modern game so no knock on him there.

Also note he gave off the handball which started the chain leading to the Kosi goal.

I really don't get the criticism of him mentioned above. There are a few times where he has a free kick and takes a moment to assess his options and takes a safe kick, but if that's the standard you hold him to then you better have the same problem with literally every single player in the competition.

You can see all of Bowey's involvement in the game here:

The main thing I noticed is that every time he had the ball in tight he was able to get a clean disposal away. A couple of hospital handballs in conjestion, but only in circumstances where he would either handball to a bloke who would be immediately wrapped up or get tackled himself and give away a free kick. That's the modern game so no knock on him there.

Also note he gave off the handball which started the chain leading to the Kosi goal.

I really don't get the criticism of him mentioned above. There are a few times where he has a free kick and takes a moment to assess his options and takes a safe kick, but if that's the standard you hold him to then you better have the same problem with literally every single player in the competition.
There's only been one muppet on here's who's criticised Bowey. The rest have been nothing but full of admiration of Bowey in his work so far, and now getting a RS nom is a fantastic achievement for a guy who's just played his 3rd.

The kid has looked as natural as I've seen in a first year player since Clayton Oliver debut.

I like that you addressed the weakness in your own argument, a screen grab doesn't tell the whole story. Context is critical. What was the situation, what was the timing of the lead, where was he in his movement post mark, what were the instructions of the coaching staff? Decision making flows downstream, not in isolated moments.

Context? Instructions? Mate, when a guy is surrounded by acres of space in the forward 50m there isn't a coach in the world that would say do anything other than hit that up.

Stuff the mods this post is ******* stupid. I re watched this and the screen grab you took is while Bowey is still back pedalling. Within half a second Melkshams been manned up. This is a ******* joke of a post mate 👍
like someone has correctly pointed out he doesn't need to backpedal fully. Just one step to the side and hit him up. Maybe re-watch it. Most local footy players would've hit this up, bowey can too. Don't try and discredit the screen grab. What else do you want other than a guy 30m on his own in space. You want 50m or you want the whole 50m?

Don't be so defensive. He's going to be a good player but to get on Caleb Daniels level these are the kicks that need to be executed

like someone has correctly pointed out he doesn't need to backpedal fully. Just one step to the side and hit him up. Maybe re-watch it. Most local footy players would've hit this up, bowey can too. Don't try and discredit the screen grab. What else do you want other than a guy 30m on his own in space. You want 50m or you want the whole 50m?

Don't be so defensive. He's going to be a good player but to get on Caleb Daniels level these are the kicks that need to be executed

This is the play in question

Bowey needs to get back far enough that his kick wont be immediately smothered and probably needs about two/three metres off his line to hit Melksham, as Melksham is basically leading behind the man on the mark, the window he has is tiny and once he realises Melksham is covered he immediately turns in board and gives it to Rivers.

Maybe a local reserves player could hit that target but only because the bloke standing on the mark is ten kilos over weight with the agility of a tractor.

You were using this as an example of Bowey lacking composure and panicking with the ball. It's simply not the case, especially when theres about a dozen other examples from the same game of him using the ball incredibly well in tight spaces under pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

danster and Bowey is like Dr Truth and Spargo.
All the short guys on the team have dedicated haters. I might give it a go next time we draft a little fella, see what it's all about.

All the short guys on the team have dedicated haters. I might give it a go next time we draft a little fella, see what it's all about.
i hated on Spargo for a while, it felt good, but then he actually became good so i got stuck. gotta make sure they're s**t.

i hated on Spargo for a while, it felt good, but then he actually became good so i got stuck. gotta make sure they're sh*t.
I love Spargo, it's awesome having a proper good AFL player who I can kick further than. Love it when he takes a mark 40 out and pretends he's taking a shot when we all know he's out of range. :D

Petition for danster not be able to post screenshots anymore. Sign here ____________
Honestly we just need TK to reclaim the lab from the sorry state it's in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back