Player Watch #17: Jake Bowey – signed to 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Hunt does. Langdon and Brayshaw have been absolute garbage, they are the issue right now. Playing Bowey on a wing doesn't stop him from creating attack out of defense.

Bowey can actually hit a difficult kick out of defence, no-one is trying to do that for us right now. I don't disagree our F50 entries suck but our ball movement in general is fairly s**t.

Bowey can actually hit a difficult kick out of defence, no-one is trying to do that for us right now. I don't disagree our F50 entries suck but our ball movement in general is fairly sh*t.

Hit a pass inside 50 you dickheads. Scoring is a far bigger issue than rebounding from defensive 50

If only an 18yo kid could be the answer to our forward woes. More likely we need to actually kick straight. Inaccuracy has cost us a couple of games this year.

age is irrelevant , if you can kick you can kick.

Not for a minute saying he can solely solve our issues but if he replaces one of our many ball butchers on a wing or half forward its a step in the right direction.

Not for a minute saying he can solely solve our issues but if he replaces one of our many ball butchers on a wing or half forward its a step in the right direction.
I don’t disagree we could use better ball users through the middle and going forward. Just not sure they recruited him as a forward/mid and turned him into a back then play him at AFL as a mid.

I don’t disagree we could use better ball users through the middle and going forward. Just not sure they recruited him as a forward/mid and turned him into a back then play him at AFL as a mid.

Plans can change. And he'd never played defense before this year. Its not like playing as a wingman is foreign to him.

Im not saying it will happen but I reckon It is would be far more beneficial for us to replace Mr Excellent defensive running with Bowey.

It’s hard enough to find your feet at AFL level as an 18yo, let alone being trained all year in one position and then being thrown into a different role in your debut. He’ll play in defence.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah, no way he plays wing/hff no matter how many flogs on here think he should be played there. Imagine training the entire year in a position, playing that position exclusively at VFL level and then taking a step up but also playing in a position you haven't played in since juniors. Just stupid.

Yeah, no way he plays wing/hff no matter how many flogs on here think he should be played there. Imagine training the entire year in a position, playing that position exclusively at VFL level and then taking a step up but also playing in a position you haven't played in since juniors. Just stupid.

lol, You act like hes 10 years removed from juniors. Anyone would think im asking him to split an atom. Any idiot can who can run can play on a wing.

Also, you're out of the gang.

lol, You act like hes 10 years removed from juniors. Anyone would think im asking him to split an atom. Any idiot can who can run can play on a wing.

Also, you're out of the gang.
I'm gonna form my own gang then.
We'll pull up on yo crib and own you hoes with my glock cuh.

Who wants to join the *a11andTK gang with me?

I'm gonna form my own gang then.
We'll pull up on yo crib and own you hoes with my glock cuh.

Who wants to join the fu**a11andTK gang with me?

The whole board is a gang against us, we are a two man army. Bring it on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bowey can actually hit a difficult kick out of defence, no-one is trying to do that for us right now. I don't disagree our F50 entries suck but our ball movement in general is fairly sh*t.
May and Salem are 2 of the better kicks in the league, Bowey won't make any difference when the teams instructions are to go down the line and minimise turnovers. If he gets up to a wing and beyond he can do far more damage. No point exploding with a kick from the back half if you end up kicking to the pocket anyway

May and Salem are 2 of the better kicks in the league, Bowey won't make any difference when the teams instructions are to go down the line and minimise turnovers. If he gets up to a wing and beyond he can do far more damage. No point exploding with a kick from the back half if you end up kicking to the pocket anyway
Yeah there's merit with him at half back but wing over Brayshaw makes a bigger difference

Interesting discussing here.

What about putting Bowey in Salems spot and moving Salem to mid/HF?
Would be a great move. More likely we ******* throw Hunt forward again and keep all of our best kicks in defence

Our ball movement was incredibly aggressive the first half the year. While we tried to keep possession through the wings exiting defensive 50, we actually picked off a lot of 45 kicks and picked through the zones well.

Since the pressure has come on, we are now really safe with ball in hand, trying not to turn it over, or we are back to pumping it long and deep to the pocket.

I'm not sure Bowey is going to come in and get 20 kicks exiting defensive 50, but you can nearly bet he won't waste any that he does get.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back