Yabby Medal votes: 11 (equal 10th)

Averages

Kicks: 5.7 per game
Handballs: 7.7 per game
Disposals: 13.3 per game
Marks: 4.6 per game
Hit-outs: 20.3 per game

Milestones

50th career win (round 10, 2019, versus Port Adelaide)
1500th career hit-out
Career high handballs in a game (16, versus Richmond)
Career high disposals in a game (26, versus Richmond)
Ranked 17th in the AFL for contested marks per game

Standout

Round 9, 2019 (versus Richmond): In the injury-enforced absence of Ben McEvoy, Ceglar earned the maximum Yabby medal votes on offer for a dominating performance in the ruck against Ivan Soldo. Ceglar had a career high 26 disposals against the Tigers as (while he was beaten in the actual ruck contests) he was too much for the Tiger cub to handle around the ground. Unfortunately, it didn't translate to a victory for the Hawks, as the eventual premiers comfortably defeated Hawthorn by 36 points.

Shocker

Round 15, 2019 (versus West Coast Eagles): In a tight, low-scoring affair at the MCG, Ceglar's struggles in front of goal didn't help Hawthorn's goal. He kicked 0.2 and didn't score from additional shots at goal, undoing his good work in taking contested marks inside Hawthorn's attacking 50. Although the loss was a team effort, Ceglar's yips in front of goal stung in a game the Hawks would lose by six points.

18 - Jonathon Ceglar (2018)

Cegs is a top 5 AFL tap ruckman when at his best. His contested marking is good and improving.
If Hawthorn can find a place for their other top 5 ruckman in McEvoy in the backline, then we will have options that few teams can counter.
McEvoy and Cegs as a ruck combination, with their marking power around the ground... and if we can use them in the backline... then we are set for rucks.

I have a feeling that 2020 is shaping up as a big year for Cegs if the club persists with him as number 1 ruck.

His mobility is almost elite level for a big man and I feel like his contested marking was starting to click the last few games.

He is not a forward though and needs to play the majority of the game in the ruck.

Could never back it up. Outstanding game this year against the Swans, best of his career, attack of the ball was amazing. Then never brought it again. Happy to give the opportunities to King and Reeves.

Thanks Jonathan for all your great games. You were awesome when you were on.

And for all your mediocre games... piss off you geelong flog.

Took some ripper marks and played some very good games. I understand his need for stability and certainty about his future and in the same breath im sure he understands that by moving to Geelong he is dead to us. Rip John Ceglar. Long Live big Ceggsy.

Good luck to big Cegs, when he was "on" he really played some ripping footy for the mighty Hawks. That game he played against Sydney this year was really one for the ages.

I think he was probably a little harshly judged on this forum at times, he did have well documented issues with consistency but I felt some of the criticism was unwarranted and rather harsh. I really think that ACL set him back at really the worst time in his development, just when he was hitting his peak

Given where the club is at and his age I think this is the ideal scenario for both Cegs and the club so kudos to the Hawks and Cats for making it happen (eventually).

Cegs, you provided me with a great memory. While tucked in amongst an epicentre of Collingwood supporters I watched you destroy a young Brody Grundy and blurted out, “You’re killing him Cegs”. After sheepishly looking at those that heard me, a burley Woods supporter in front turned around and … nodded his agreement. Priceless.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could never back it up. Outstanding game this year against the Swans, best of his career, attack of the ball was amazing. Then never brought it again. Happy to give the opportunities to King and Reeves.
Finished the season very well. Monstered the Doggies round 22. My favourite game was the infamous snow game in Canberra. Wish him well at the Cats but we traded him for a packet of chips.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back