Preview 1st Semi-Final – GWS Giants vs West Coast Eagles, Saturday 16th September, Spotless Stadium, 7.25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Initially, I was going to say that Richmond look like the team to beat for this year's flag. They played their Qualifying Final with the sort of frantic pressure that took the Bulldogs to September glory last year. Geelong were just blown off the park after half-time; 10.6 to 3.6, a shocking rout.

But then came yesterday’s Elimination Final at the SCG. The Swans were simply awesome in their demolition of Essendon. It’s incredible to think they struggled to beat the Bombers by a single point in back in Round 14. Geelong look like a formality for them next week. The Crows must have watched on with some trepidation.

Now to our semi-final. After incredible circumstances at Adelaide Oval, we’re playing the Eagles. And our mission is not only to win. We need to play ourselves back into form, very quickly.

I don’t think any of us were surprised at the result of the Qualifying Final on Thursday. Pretty much a continuation of Round 23. It certainly felt that way. At least we were able to fight back and win the second half after a pathetic second quarter. We didn’t fade out the way Geelong did.

But we didn’t lose because of a lack of effort. In the presser, Leon noted we laid 108 tackles, 32 of them in our forward 50, and “we hadn’t done that all year”. Surprisingly, we spent more time inside 50 than the Crows. But it was hard work getting there, and we weren’t able to make it count on the scoreboard. That suggests some sort of structural problem.

Leon was challenged about playing all the tall timber. His explanation was that he regarded Cameron as not falling into that category because of his elite speed. Well, we won’t have to worry about that next week.

As for reported quick fixes, Leon has his work cut out for him. This is not going to be an easy game. After unconvincing wins in rounds 10 and 22, we need to beat the Eagles for a third time in the one season. That doesn’t happen too often. But our problem is much bigger than that.

We’re not playing like a team. We aren’t cohesive. There are too many players not running into space. We're not quick enough. There are too many handballs. Has everyone forgotten the best way to get the ball moving quickly is precision by foot? Perhaps the players are struggling under the weight of their own expectations.

As for who lines up this week, Leon thought the improvised match against the Crows on Friday (which they won 14.9.93 to 6.8.44) would unearth a replacement for Cameron. Surely that can’t be Steve Johnson. He’s just too old and slow, and he didn't make much of an impact anyway. We need someone young and hungry. Tim Taranto or Harry Perryman, who played well, fit the bill. Ryan Griffen also managed to play about 70% of the game across half-back and emerged unscathed, and is apparently being considered. But he’s probably too rusty and we can’t carry anyone. We just need someone fit – and preferably fast.

If Mumford is out injured, Dawson Simpson, who also played well on Friday, will get another chance. He did his job against the Dockers and the Bulldogs, but how will he cope if the Eagles roll the dice and play Nic Naitanui? They have him listed as returning “late 2017 season”. If that’s the case, there’s not much point waiting any longer.

There's no use making too many changes, so all things considered, I think the team will look something like this:

FB: Adam Tomlinson, Phil Davis, Heath Shaw
HB: Nathan Wilson, Aidan Corr, Brett Deledio
C: Lachie Whitfield, Callan Ward, Tom Scully
HF: Josh Kelly, Tim Taranto, Rory Lobb
FF: Toby Greene, Jon Patton, Matt de Boer
RR: Dawson Simpson, Stephen Coniglio, Jacob Hopper

Interchange: Nick Haynes, Harry Himmelberg, Zac Williams, Dylan Shiel

In: Dawson Simpson, Tim Taranto

Out: Jeremy Cameron (hamstring), Shane Mumford (ankle)

Emergencies: Ryan Griffen, Matthew Kennedy, Harry Perryman

Tickets go on sales for competing club members on Monday September 12th from 9am– 1pm. It’s our last visit to Spotless for the year, so we all need to bring along at least one guest, and put an orange scarf on them.

Come on Giants, play a four quarter game. Make a statement and bury the Eagles.

Last edited:
Mummy needs to be dropped. And to be honest Cameron being injured will force the coach to pick a more balanced side.
In: Griffen, dawsom
Out: mummy (injury), Cameron (injury)

Don't pick Stevie j

I think cameron out Taranto in.

Stevie J will play

Maybe for mummy (only if injured) maybe for HH

I'm not adverse to having lobb as sole ruck

Has anyone seen what the ticket prices look like?
Interested to see if the AFL has learned anything from the PF last year and will lower the family prices in particular to get more members with young families in without a bank loan..
Files to big to load but cat 1 tkts for the SF are the same as the QF, $92 for cat 1. Go up for the SF.

What's the issue with Mummy? Is he a realistic chance of missing?
He had had a chronic ankle issue since his injury in 2015 that sadly seems to hampering him more and more. I think we want him as a big tough midfielder and have had the option if Rory covering for him in game when nevessary. Also Dawson Simpson has had a great year and played really well when played against Freo and the Bulldogs.
Thus is causing the the speculation about whether it's time for a change I think.
Leon's view is the one that matters and the probability is he will play him.

Not sure if these will change, but ring the club before heading down....The details of upcoming GIANTS Open Training sessions for this week:

Monday, September 11
Tom Wills Oval
11:15am-12.15pm

Friday, September 15
Tom Wills Oval
9:30am-10:15am

Hi all,

We're a friendly bunch over at West Coast, and have extended the hand of friendship to you guys prior to Saturday's game. Come have a chat with us over in the finals bantz thread on our forum and lighten your week before we head on over to Sydney and send you packing in straight sets. :D

A must win game to feel like it was a par season. preliminary final is the pass mark but we need to do a major review post season as I think we have tried to play the same cards as last season which is a rookie coaching error. Need to review our needs, game plan and most importantly our coaching structure. Enough of the good past players and time for some experienced coaching assistants. We have stood still whilst others have passed us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty confident we should be able to get over the line in this one. After playing extra time and having to spend a fair bit of time in the air this week the Eagles prep won't be great.

I'd be making 3 changes 2 due to injury and one for balance.

Mumford > Simpson. I think mummy's ankle is getting the best of him and he just seems to have no impact around the ground.
Cameron > Taranto (if fit Could be smith instead of TT). Couldn't see Cameron getting up in a week with a hammy. SJ is cooked and TT seems the most likely forward of the younger players
Tomlinson/Corr > Griff (pending ankle pulling up okay). I don't think either has really pulled their weight this year and we are too tall down back. We often break down across half back so having Griff play a bit of a quarter back role could really help our transition to attack.

Shaw Davis Haynes
Wilson Corr Griffen
Scully Ward Kelly
Greene Patton Deledio
MDB Lobb Taranto
Simpson Coniglio Shiel

Hopper Whitfield HH Williams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Don't pick Johnson.

2. Looks like Dawson will come in. Don't mind this.

3. Pick Taranto. Himmelberg can play tall if we need it. Greene, DeBoer, Deledio and Taranto playing in the forward half looks better. I'd throw scull in there too....

4. Play Scully in the forward line more. Not permanently. But if we really want pressure in there then this is the guy. We still have Whitfield and Kelly to roam the wings.

5. I'm worried we have too many players underdone. Guys like Lids, Cogs and Hopper haven't got enough matches under their belt. Mummy was playing on one leg. Rory Lobb has had groin problems. You can carry a couple of underdone players but not this many.

Pretty confident we should be able to get over the line in this one. After playing extra time and having to spend a fair bit of time in the air this week the Eagles prep won't be great.

I'd be making 3 changes 2 due to injury and one for balance.

Mumford > Simpson. I think mummy's ankle is getting the best of him and he just seems to have no impact around the ground.
Cameron > Taranto (if fit Could be smith instead of TT). Couldn't see Cameron getting up in a week with a hammy. SJ is cooked and TT seems the most likely forward of the younger players
Tomlinson/Corr > Griff (pending ankle pulling up okay). I don't think either has really pulled their weight this year and we are too tall down back. We often break down across half back so having Griff play a bit of a quarter back role could really help our transition to attack.

Shaw Davis Haynes
Wilson Corr Griffen
Scully Ward Kelly
Greene Patton Deledio
MDB Lobb Taranto
Simpson Coniglio Shiel

Hopper Whitfield HH Williams

Same team other I would swap Hopper with Smith

A must win game to feel like it was a par season. preliminary final is the pass mark but we need to do a major review post season as I think we have tried to play the same cards as last season which is a rookie coaching error. Need to review our needs, game plan and most importantly our coaching structure. Enough of the good past players and time for some experienced coaching assistants. We have stood still whilst others have passed us.
Agree 100% with this and it needs to happen no matter the result of our year.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Same team other I would swap Hopper with Smith

I'd have no issue with that.

Hopper was better on Thursday but he is a bit limited in that he can only really play on the ball which would be covered by Griffen/TT

Spot on.

Need to change the "kick it to the top of the square" philosophy. It works against weaker teams like the dogs, but way too easy for a defence like Adelaide.

I'd have no issue with that.

Hopper was better on Thursday but he is a bit limited in that he can only really play on the ball which would be covered by Griffen/TT

Hopper went at 50% effectiveness. Only had 4 kicks so that's plenty of hand balls that went to ground just too slow for me. But is tougher than most in our 22. Taranto is a better option

Good luck guys - Hope you guys and west coast have a cracking game and beat the hell out of eachother
We "should" win this game easily.Buuuut who knows these days huh.
Dawson coming in doesnt bother me as lucky picks in a finals series tend to give maximum enthusiasm.

Going to the "G" to play a double bye tigers isnt that much of a scary prospect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back