Autopsy 2014 AFL Grand Final - Sydney v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Have watched many times and can't believe how bad Sydney's tackling was. McVeigh stood out as someone who got near enough to tackle a lot but just never slowed down the guy with the ball.
Spot on. The group I was watching the game with all commented on that. The impact of the missed and not attempted tackles were enhanced because the Swans also didn't pressure the second and third receivers, who then were able to put perfectly directed kicks into the forward line under no pressure whatsoever. Very "un-Sydney like" all in all, as has been pointed out several times before.

Problem with that is that there are two sides of the fence
Hawk supporters copped it in 08 because hawks didn't win, Geelong lost it because they didn't kick straight and we didn't play in the spirit of the game by rushing behinds
In 2012 we copped abuse from swans supporters in threads because every time a comment was made that didn't have the Sydney POV it was because we were **** h**t
In 2013 we once again only won because freo didn't kick straight
And in 2014 we got lucky again because port didn't kick straight in the prelim

It makes it hard not to react and troll with all that crap we've had to put up with
I don't think there would be many ( if any) genuine footy fans who believe hawks aren't a deservedly great team. Universally known after last weekend IMO.

There's also a fair bit of talk (especially on the Swans board naturally) of the behaviour of Hawks fans at the game and in general. Well I can only speak from my personal experience and all I can say is I didn't see one incident of anti-social behaviour whatsoever. I was sitting on the ground level basically behind the Hawks cheer squad at the city end. I didn't hear one racist, sexist or homophobic comment whatsoever. .

Same here mate. I was in that Bay (M33) at the back of the Hawks cheersquad too and my assessment was the same as yours. No anti social behaviour at all. The place was just delirious with happiness.

In fact, apologies if I gave you an unannounced hug. I was dishing them out quite freely. :p

I cant put my finger on it but the hawks had a few tricks specifically to stop sydney getting a good start to the game. It was a little bit different to previous hawthorn games

I think they worked so well they just kept using them, the success surprised them a little too

i agree pess, hawthorn just turned on the mongrel and intensity. they negated our ball winners, and then set up perfectly, they got the ball moving backwards and sideways to strategically placed players, sometimes there were chains of 3 or more players moving the ball to a free target out of the congestion.

that game plan was tailored to beating us, and was executed perfectly.

gotta tip my hat off to clarko. ive always rated the man, but my respect for him has increased after that performance.

it seemed like the tactic was to get the ball out of the hot zones quickly, and we had no answers.

also, the way hes coached guys like rioli & hill, in other sides theyd probably turn into downhill skiiers, but at the hawks, they're prepared to get their hands dirty.

was a clinical performance

Sydney like to form lines to seperate territory then if the ball drops either side, they might not have the first player to the drop of the ball but they will soon outnumber the opponents with the ball.

A couple of times in the midfield there our guys lined up in the same line, and passed the ball along the line into space, that way sydney couldnt get superior numbers to the ball vicinity, and it was whisked away for another goal

I dare say Mitchell would of enjoyed being able to do as he pleases... was unopposed at center bounces waiting for a quick release handball at the back to drive it forward.

Swear it happened all game nobody was close to him :confused:

It was a really bizarre decision to leave Mitchell without a tag as he really doesn't handle them that well. He must of thought all his Christmases had come at once.

I don't watch many Sydney games so am wondering who normally plays the lock down role and who they went to.

I don't watch many Sydney games so am wondering who normally plays the lock down role and who they went to.

Bird was the most likely matchup but also their most proficient sub. Honestly our setup and execution were that good I don't think it would've mattered if Mitchell had been tagged out of it.

I haven't had my chance to say thankyou to the Hawks for my ultimate win of the year since I gave so little for my membership.

It is all encompassing with me but it is all about a group who does things because they love it.

It hasn't hit me yet but I never get tired of the pleasure of it with my Hawks.

Thanks fellas. :D

I would probably congratulate the HFC if their supporters werent insufferable flogs
if youre so averse to cheating, arnt you gonna comment on the innumerable times a 10m chip got paid a mark? Hawks have been doing it all season and they still get away with it.

I thought that was why we had umpires?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on. The group I was watching the game with all commented on that. The impact of the missed and not attempted tackles were enhanced because the Swans also didn't pressure the second and third receivers, who then were able to put perfectly directed kicks into the forward line under no pressure whatsoever. Very "un-Sydney like" all in all, as has been pointed out several times before.

One moment that stood out to me happened early on in the first - Kennedy or Shaw (can't remember who) cleared the ball from the back pocket under pressure, a kick to no one in particular and Hodge collects the bouncing ball.

He found himself in the exact same situation that Hannebery did not 5/10 minutes later. Parker tackled him whilst he was in the air, but not only did he not hammer Hodge, Hodge was able to keep hold of the ball as he hit the deck and dished it off to Mitchell (who hurried past and sent it deep).

Parker could have really hammered Hodge there but didn't. Not too long after Roughead put Hannebery down and made a statement (granted I realist the size difference between Roughead/Hannebery and Hodge/Parker).

One moment that stood out to me happened early on in the first - Kennedy or Shaw (can't remember who) cleared the ball from the back pocket under pressure, a kick to no one in particular and Hodge collects the bouncing ball.

He found himself in the exact same situation that Hannebery did not 5/10 minutes later. Parker tackled him whilst he was in the air, but not only did he not hammer Hodge, Hodge was able to keep hold of the ball as he hit the deck and dished it off to Mitchell (who hurried past and sent it deep).

Parker could have really hammered Hodge there but didn't. Not too long after Roughead put Hannebery down and made a statement (granted I realist the size difference between Roughead/Hannebery and Hodge/Parker).

This.

He kept his hands free and stood up in the tackle, whereas Rough went low and hard to iron Hannebery out.

Although Rough is about a foot taller and 20 kgs heavier, so it might make difference

I think the Hawks got the rub of the green as well. By that I mean the bounce of the ball seemed to just work for us. Gunston's goal in the first quarter, the ball bouncing away from Jetta when he would have been a certainty to run away from Big Boy, Langford's 3rd goal, even Rohan stuffing up bouncing the ball, there were others but these just stick out.

This intangible coupled with the Swans' lack of intensity, flawed tactics(not putting a tag on at least one of mitch, Burgoyne, hodge, lewis) and I think Hawks genuine hurt of 2012 was really the brewing of a perfect storm.

Also, take the first 3 games out for the Swans who are notorious slow starters their season was immense. I don't think they need to change much, but what they have to change is glaring.

Need another KPD, and a smaller fwd line with 1-2 genuine small forwards. It was far too easy for Hawks defenders to work that ball out when it hit the ground.

I wouldn't say TIppett is soft. Rather, for a big bloke, he doesn't play like one.

One week after the 2014 AFL Grand Final wrote an article for boydznthehood.com about the tell-tale signs that showed why Hawthorn came up big winners!

http://www.boydznthehood.com/tell-tale-signs-of-the-2014-afl-grand-final/
LeightonB: "Time for some superliminal advertising!"
Bqg__riIUAAX6E3.jpg

"Hey, you! Join the navy Read my blog!!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back