Draft Review 2014 - Redo the 2014 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably because of outside of Mumford, he's got the sloppiest rig of any player in the competition. Plus he hasn't yet showed that he can put together a full four quarter performance. The value he would get on the open market wouldn't do justice to what you gave up to draft him.

Pre season game v Carlton he took 15 marks playing as a roaming CHF. He has got the tools he needs game time and continuous games.

If he's our Mitch Thorp or Beau Dowler

Then hopefully we can do a Hawks 2004 draft with our 2 first round picks this year

And then onto the 3peat...

We can dream

St Kilda are in a strong position this year, though. Probable mid range and early first round picks, two big name FAs in the offing, other clubs chasing Schache, Josh Kelly, Zak Jones...

At worst the Saints should end up with two players drafted in the first 10 or so.

joey dan finally clicking at 78 games give him time ffs

Absolutely no comparison between the two. Daniher kicked 26 goals in his second season and close to 40 in his third in a team that didn't have Nick Riewoldt and a team that was absolutely horrendous.

Daniher has extra height and ridiculous athleticism for his size. McCartin has neither. Granted McCartin needs more time but Daniher showed way more than McCartin has thus far.

Absolutely no comparison between the two. Daniher kicked 26 goals in his second season and close to 40 in his third in a team that didn't have Nick Riewoldt and a team that was absolutely horrendous.

Daniher has extra height and ridiculous athleticism for his size. McCartin has neither. Granted McCartin needs more time but Daniher showed way more than McCartin has thus far.
playing with roo hurts carts, its all we kick too or he takes the best leading pattens and yells at carts to lead at the boundary line...

What is the common thought when a key forward is struggling for form? Even Jack Watts is thrown in the ruck.
Watts has been thrown in the ruck due to team needs. He was previously put down back and in the midfield due to form up forward. Fortunately Watts has the flexibility for this.
McCartin still has plenty of time. I think it's always risky going a key forward in the top few picks. Probably Watts and McCartin the only number one picks without a rising star nom. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

He got a few possessions late in the game this week (including a goal). It's his fitness level that concerns me, if he can run out games I think the goals will come. He just always seems to struggle fitness wise and if you have poor/mediocre running capability you aren't going to amount to much in the modern game.

Still plenty of time to build that up as obviously his diabetes has limited his progress in that regard, but there would be some concerns. I don't agree with the logic that just because he was the number 1 pick he will come good (especially since 16 other clubs didn't rate him number 1).

I don't think mccartin will ever be what saints want him to be.Look slow and doesn't have an afl body yet.Id trade him to Brisbane for schache straight swap at least he has more athleticism and plenty to work with.More of a modern day forward.Mccartin looks a stay at home forward IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think mccartin will ever be what saints want him to be.Look slow and doesn't have an afl body yet.Id trade him to Brisbane for schache straight swap at least he has more athleticism and plenty to work with.More of a modern day forward.Mccartin looks a stay at home forward IMO.
He can't get a game in the Brisbane side, they're both babies in their careers.

Schache had 4 touches in the NEAFL, imagine if Paddy had dished up a VFL game like that in his second year? A media lynch mob would be on to him faster than you can say pick 1.

Schache had 4 touches in the NEAFL, imagine if Paddy had dished up a VFL game like that in his second year? A media lynch mob would be on to him faster than you can say pick 1.
Paddy doesn't have an agent publically shopping him around though and is odds-on to stay at St Kilda.

Think the odds of the Saints and McCartin parting ways are less than 1%

However for the sake of argument, and assuming Geelong is his preferred destination, I can think of no trade scenario where Geelong finds enough trade currency to make it happen

Will be a top 3 forward in the competition. Sure, he isn't 100% fit, but that will come. He will never be a running machine like Nick Riewoldt but he doesn't need to be. I see him as having a very similar career to Josh Kennedy. His speed over 15 metres is actually very good.

The Saints have been in a fantastic position the past couple of seasons in that they have been able to take their time with his development, continue to put on weight and strength and when he does come into the side, he hasn't been played out of position.

If he was on the trade table, nothing less than a top four/five pick would be worthy in my opinion.

^ hope you're right

He certainly shows glimpses of elite forward talent

Hopefully he's just a ore season away from emerging

Mitch Duncan straight swap.

He would be handy, and what we need in some respects

Imagine we'd ask for a future first as well

Duncan is 26?

Geelong get a 12 year key forward

Saints get a 5-6 year largely outside mid

Will be a top 3 forward in the competition. Sure, he isn't 100% fit, but that will come. He will never be a running machine like Nick Riewoldt but he doesn't need to be. I see him as having a very similar career to Josh Kennedy. His speed over 15 metres is actually very good.

The Saints have been in a fantastic position the past couple of seasons in that they have been able to take their time with his development, continue to put on weight and strength and when he does come into the side, he hasn't been played out of position.

If he was on the trade table, nothing less than a top four/five pick would be worthy in my opinion.
A very, very long shot at being a top 3 forward.

Currently top 3 forwards are probably JJK, Betts, Cameron. All of them possessing tools and damaging traits Mccartin will never have.

Even looking at the top 5 key forwards
-JJK
-Cameron
-Daniher
-Franklin
-Lynch

JJK is the only genuine stay at home FF, and even he roams up the ground nowadays.

All of Cameron, Lynch Franklin play very very high CHF. This is the current trend with key forwards, you need to kick goals as well as being able to push up the ground and contribute to the team in other ways.

Mccartin's ceiling is probably a 50-60 goals per year FF, even that will never be top 5 at any time.

Not seeing the Kennedy comparison, watched Kennedy when we drafted him for his first few years and even then he was always running, chasing, making multiple leads, putting in big 2nd and 3rd efforts and had an amazing work ethic, I'm not seeing that with McCartin, he's 2nd efforts are basically non exsistent and defensive side of his game also need a lot of improvement.
Not a chance anyone would give up a top 5 pick for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back