Draft Review 2014 - Redo the 2014 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Not seeing the Kennedy comparison, watched Kennedy when we drafted him for his first few years and even then he was always running, chasing, making multiple leads, putting in big 2nd and 3rd efforts and had an amazing work ethic, I'm not seeing that with McCartin, he's 2nd efforts are basically non exsistent and defensive side of his game also need a lot of improvement.
Not a chance anyone would give up a top 5 pick for him.
McCartin is making multiple leads. He works a lot harder than people give him credit for. But the Saints have had Riewoldt, Membrey and Bruce which have presented higher up the ground and are more attractive options than McCartin who is often cramped for space and leads more into the pocket. He does work very hard though. Defensive pressure is the big concern and I agree that it's a huge weakness. But I think that he's still worth a top 5 pick.

Days like yesterday make me more and more confident about him. Moves well in straight lines but agility a concern. Needs to be fitter, obviously.

Tracking quite well for a 20 game full forward with numerous setbacks.

The scrutiny is unbelievable.
Most of it is directed at his football and conditioning.

Give him a week of what Jack Watts copped and tell us its unbelievable.

A clear number 1 pick in his draft class.....Has been plagued by concussion issues.....If the Saints don't want him, then we'll take him.

Just needs a clean run at it is all.
No he wasn't a clear number 1. Petracca was number 1 on most draft boards and people expected him to go number 1 up until a few days before the draft.

McCartin was a top 10 prospect who was picked at 1 because St Kilda were desperate for a Key Forward.

No he wasn't a clear number 1. Petracca was number 1 on most draft boards and people expected him to go number 1 up until a few days before the draft.

McCartin was a top 10 prospect who was picked at 1 because St Kilda were desperate for a Key Forward.

Pretty accurate except for Paddy being a top 3 discussion not top 10.

He was always going to go to either St Kilda or Melbourne.

Absolutely incorrect....It was always between McCartin & Petracca as the 2 stand-outs.....McCartin's under 18's carnival stamped him as the clear favorite, given the Saints needs at the time.

Your post is nonsense.

Absolutely incorrect....It was always between McCartin & Petracca as the 2 stand-outs.....McCartin's under 18's carnival stamped him as the clear favorite, given the Saints needs at the time.

Your post is nonsense.

He was never clear favourite but he wasn't going outside the top 3.

It was St Kilda or Melbourne.

Your post is nonsense.
Only because St Kilda and Melbourne both were desperate for KPPs.

Who gets drafted where is entirely determined by the clubs at that point of the draft. Just because St Kilda and Melbourne were desperate enough to reach for a KPP doesnt mean he was the "clear number 1 prospect". It just makes him tall during a time when it was a massive recruiting fad to target 195+ KPFs.

Your post not only backtracks on your "clear number one prospect" claim, but also betrays your ignorance. He was a top 10 talent who just happened to fill a need for the clubs holding picks 1, 2 and 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only because St Kilda and Melbourne both were desperate for KPPs.

Who gets drafted where is entirely determined by the clubs at that point of the draft. Just because St Kilda and Melbourne were desperate enough to reach for a KPP doesnt mean he was the "clear number 1 prospect". It just makes him tall during a time when it was a massive recruiting fad to target 195+ KPFs.

Your post not only backtracks on your "clear number one prospect" claim, but also betrays your ignorance. He was a top 10 talent who just happened to fill a need for the clubs holding picks 1, 2 and 3.
Incorrect, he was touted as a potential number 1 but not clear number 1.

We weren't going to draft because of need, we were drafting best available and he was regarded as such.

Incorrect, he was touted as a potential number 1 but not clear number 1.

We weren't going to draft because of need, we were drafting best available and he was regarded as such.
Your club was so desperate for a key forward you gave up a first round pick for Chris Dawes.

Chris Dawes

Two Meter Peter would most likely go pick 1 in a redo, Patracca Lever Marchbank and Moore all look like high end talents.
Have seen some Saints supporters believe trading McCratin would get them a top 10 pick in return, I can't see anyone giving up even close to that.

Nope. Petracca or Heeney would go no1 if that draft was redone.

I liked his game vs Bulldogs. Probably the only positive of the day for the Saints. Could have easily kicked 4 or 5, he'll kick a bag sooner rather than later if he keeps up effort/work rate.

Your club was so desperate for a key forward you gave up a first round pick for Chris Dawes.

Chris Dawes
Yep 5 years ago, terrible call.

However he still provided more than Lovett did fir you guys AND YOU GAVE UP A 1ST ROUND PICK for him.

For Lovett lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ah yes because your recruiting department isn't in charge of recruiting at your club. Now it all makes sense.

And that was one player Neeld pushed for.

Our recruiters are top notch now and they were going to take McCartin if the Saints went with Petracca because he was touted as one of the top few picks on talent.

I also wouldn't be taking potshots at other clubs recruiting given Carlton gave up pick 7 for Jaksch and Wiley.

And that was one player Neeld pushed for.

Our recruiters are top notch now and they were going to take McCartin if the Saints went with Petracca because he was touted as one of the top few picks on talent.

I also wouldn't be taking potshots at other clubs recruiting given Carlton gave up pick 7 for Jaksch and Wiley.
I can take pot shots at whoever I like. The accuracy of someones statements isn't determined by the performance of their football club.

What a strange thing to say

Remove this Banner Ad

Back