News 2015 preseason training news and updates

Remove this Banner Ad

johncat

Team Captain
Aug 30, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
With our pre-season officially starting tomorrow, for the 1st-4th year players at least, thought a thread dedicated to any training news, updates, pictures etc would be a good way for us to keep informed on how the players are travelling.

Only have this article to start us off, which I believe has been posted elsewhere, but great to see the rehab duo being supported by their team mates, most notably Smedts;

http://m.geelongcats.com.au/news/2014-11-05/injured-cats-ramp-things-up.mobileapp

good work john.
These pre season threads have not been nice to us recently. Fingers crossed the injury bug is kind to us in the next 3-4 months
sweating.gif

Expect to read the usual clichés about "player x having his best pre-season ever" or how "player y is over his injury niggles". ;)

Not that I mind it. A bit of optimism leading into the new season is okay by me.

Here's another little snippet, mentioning that the full team will be back training on December 1st. Particularly liked reading that Selwood finds it difficult to stop training over the break;
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2014-11-11/selwood-ready-to-ramp-it-up-in-december

Expect to read the usual clichés about "player x having his best pre-season ever" or how "player y is over his injury niggles". ;)

Not that I mind it. A bit of optimism leading into the new season is okay by me.

Here's another little snippet, mentioning that the full team will be back training on December 1st. Particularly liked reading that Selwood finds it difficult to stop training over the break;
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2014-11-11/selwood-ready-to-ramp-it-up-in-december
Oh yeah, totally slipped my mind that Selwood, Taylor and SJ were heading to Perth for the IR series next weekend as suggested in the article. Selwood's a training beast!

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that half a dozen or so players will "train the house down"!;)

or "player x saying player y is one of the most difficult players to match up on during training"

In fact, didn't Selwood once say Stringer is going to be some kind of player? Or was that Sheringham he was referring to? Was one of those.
And of cause Scarlett on gillies,future full back and Taylor on Brown,running patterns.Yep plenty of puff pieces to come.

Gotta be careful of these "training the house down" puff pieces.

Billie Smedts career hadn't even begun but such was the expectation some supporters had of him because of one of those articles a few years back he was expected to win games off his own boot when first started in the 1s. :eek:

With our pre-season officially starting tomorrow, for the 1st-4th year players at least,

Does anyone know where and when training will take place?
I have an RDO and would not mind having a look if they are training at K/Park and it is open to the public.

or "player x saying player y is one of the most difficult players to match up on during training"

In fact, didn't Selwood once say Stringer is going to be some kind of player? Or was that Sheringham he was referring to? Was one of those.

The funny thing is, of all the guys that got cut, I would say Stringer in 2012 showed more than quite a few of our younger players, both past and current. He never came close to recapturing it unfortunately.

Gotta be careful of these "training the house down" puff pieces.

Billie Smedts career hadn't even begun but such was the expectation some supporters had of him because of one of those articles a few years back he was expected to win games off his own boot when first started in the 1s. :eek:

It's because he was a first round draft pick. We're still the same now, look at the expectations of Lang and Jansen. It'll happen again with whoever we get first round in November.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's because he was a first round draft pick. We're still the same now, look at the expectations of Lang and Jansen. It'll happen again with whoever we get first round in November.
I think you can pin any expectations of Jansen on Daniel McL

Judging by the respondents in this thread so far, I'm not sure that is likely.
Spot on I've see over 500 players go through the Geelong footy club to date and if I've learnt anything at all it's judge players on what you see not what you hear or read.Or even worse what you want to see.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to hearing from Clarke, Blease and big Irish as much as anything today... and Stanley to some extent but he has already been interviewed about coming to the Cats (and speaks very impressively mind you)

and The rabbi I can assume it will be at Geelong, OR may be at that Landy field if they are doing time trials and things? I have no ideas about the rules for who can watch training, you might be able to sweet talk someone to let you watch for a bit

Wow. That's very impressive from Menz. Knee good, big bodied midfielder we need? :D

I would not put too much hope on Menzel. He is likely to break your heart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back