Analysis 2016 List Management Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marchbank slots in. Allows Plowman to play on smaller players.

I would like towers and Barlow as DFA as we sadly lack on ballers
So round 1, without Byrne, you want us to play:

FB: Plowman Rowe Marchbank
HB: Docherty Weitering Simpson

With Kerridge dropping in?

Who should drop into our defence then?

Barlow as a DFA, and it's only 4 GWS players to be delisted as it turns out.

It will be interesting to see who they chop.
To be honest im not sure who plays defence or what our best side will look like, a lot can happen from now until after the drafts, i wonder if grimes is to be considered.

Love our backline seriously juicy, hopefully JGM can take Rowes position eventually, we only need a good shutdown defender in the Talia mould with all those creative backmen. I think when Marchbank develops he will hold down a key position post and Byrne will be the last defender to the puzzle.

Our midfield next year looks serviceable to good with hopefully full seasons out of Murphy, Gibbs, Cripps and Curnow. Adding in a ready made Brodie would be awesome and thats our main engine room sorted.

Is everyone writing Daisy Thomas off? Did he have a full pre-season this year?

So out went 6 (Walker, Jamison, Smith, Dick, Foster and Tuohy, ... Wood a rookie) and in comes 4 (Marchbank, Pickett, Palmer and Smedts).

We have picks 5 and 25, then 48, 63, 66 and 70, and then very late picks.

So looks like a few delistings to come. Jones and Thomas are contracted for next year. Interesting to see who we delist from here, and if we add any delisted players from other clubs. Perhaps Hannath to shore up our poor ruck division?

Plowman Rowe Byrne
Simpson Marchbank Docherty
Smedts Cripps Pickett
Silvagni Curnow Palmer
Sumner McKay Weitering

Kruezer Murphy Gibbs

Kerridge, Wright, Curnow, Taranto(draft), Cuningham, Gallucci(draft)

A lot of first rounders in there if that's roughly the best 24

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So out went 6 (Walker, Jamison, Smith, Dick, Foster and Tuohy, ... Wood a rookie) and in comes 4 (Marchbank, Pickett, Palmer and Smedts).

We have picks 5 and 25, then 48, 63, 66 and 70, and then very late picks.

So looks like a few delistings to come. Jones and Thomas are contracted for next year. Interesting to see who we delist from here, and if we add any delisted players from other clubs. Perhaps Hannath to shore up our poor ruck division?
Byrne to be elevated makes 6

Another 5 (probably 6) at the draft makes 11 (probably 12)

Then perhaps a DFA for 12 (probably 13). 4-6 still to go out the door (probably 6).

Big Analysis piece incoming. Scroll as necessary.

State of Play:

So far we have the following outs:

Walker, Jamison, Smith, Foster, Dick, Wood, Tuohy

And the following ins:

Marchbank, Pickett, Smedts, Palmer

We are required to delist at least one more player because we need 3 ND picks, and I think there will be more. So I will suggest the following are in the gun:

Tutt, Whiley, Graham, Viojo-Rainbow, Buckley Sheehan

OK here comes the heavy stuff. What type of players do we have, and what do we need?

I am going to rate players roughly by quality:

A+: Elite, Top 5 at any club
A: Very good, Top 10 at any club
B+: Good, top 22 any club
B: Average, top 22 at most clubs
C+: Below Average, Fringe at most clubs
C: Poor, Fringe at most club
D+: Bad, Not AFL standard
D: Horrid , Not VFL standard

N/A - Too early to tell

And sort them by type:

Small/Medium/Tall Defenders
Small/Medium/Tall Forwards
Inside/Outside Midfielder
Ruck

Small Defender:

Simpson - A
Docherty - A
Viojo-Rainbow - C

Medium Defender:

Plowman - B
Byrne - B
Simon White - C+
Sheehan - C
Gowers - C

Tall Defender:

Weitering - B+
Rowe - B
Marchbank - B
Glass-McCasker - N/A

Small Forward:

Wright - B
Buckley - C+
Lamb - C+
Sumner - C+
Armfield - C+
Gallucci - C

Medium Forward:

Everitt - B+
Silvagni - B
C. Curnow - B

Tall Forward:

Jaksch - C+
Casboult - C+
McKay - N/A

Inside Mid:

Cripps - A+
Gibbs - A
E. Curnow - B+
Cuningham - C+
Graham - C+
Palmer - C+
Whiley - C

Outside Mid:

Murphy - A
Kerridge - B
Boekhorst - C+
Thomas - C+
Tutt - C
Pickett - N/A

Ruck:

Kreuzer - B+
Phillips - B
Gorringe - C
Korcheck - N/A

So...

Assuming some guys like Weitering, C. Curnow, McKay, Silvagni, Boekhorst and Pickett kick on to the next tier our most important needs are, in order:

Tall Forward
Small Forward
Inside Mid
Outside Mid
Ruck

And looking at the draft it seems most likely that pick 5 is for a mid, 25 is for a forward of some variety, Pick 48 for another mid, A ruck with a later pick.

My ideal:

Brodie, Battle, Poholke, Olango

Looking back on how the trade period went after my thoughts from early September.

What do you guys think would be a good and realistic result for us come end of trade week
Still have pick 5 and 23 and hopefully another pick or two somewhere in first or second round of draft.

Everitt, Graham and Thomas all somehow moved on. Everitt and Graham certainly in trades is what I am expecting.
Marchbank a name I heard thrown around so if we got a youngster like that from GWS to replace the likes of Jamison for long term via giving up Everitt and Graham that is pretty much where I expect the trade period to end.
I hope for more but to be honest not heard much exciting prospects on the market apart from O'Meara but think he will go somewhere else as just do not see the risk is worth doing for what will probably be on offer to Gold Coast by some other clubs that will be seduced more.

Content enough to goto the draft and get 3 or 4 more talented youngsters for long term.
Patient as I know this is a 5 plus year thing to build a list to where it needs to get to.

Other people get hyped up in trade period and expect 5 or 6 trades but honestly expect it to be closer to 2 trades or possible 3.
Most years clubs only do one or two. The most real club generating of talents happens through the drafts.
Footy fans tend to get too excited about trade period for mine.
So we got Marchbank trade done on the last day which was the only thing I felt looked likely.
I did hope Everitt could be traded for something but never happened.
Instead Tuohy went. A far more useful player and in reality that trade allowed us to on trade the main pick from Tuohy to GWS to get Marchbank and Pickett. Pickett I know less about but he was obviously rated as a junior so to keep hold of our first two draft picks I am pleased about. Picks 5 and 25 should be important ones to get one or two midfielders for the long term future.

Smedts is an interesting pick up given I always liked the little I saw of him at Geelong but seemed he was never left to play in a position that suited him and was often injured apart from that. He is two years younger than Tuohy and him getting a fresh start at another club I think was good move for Smedts. He comes from a good football culture the Cats have had for the last decade. I like he is being given a chance.
I do not care about the Palmer deal. Not even sure why it was done but in essence was given to us for free so obviously he wanted to come to Carlton to get a chance and we decided to welcome him and give him a chance.

Would have liked to have got Hrovat but North beat us to him probably because we were too busy needing to get the Marchbank trade done and being distracted also with stupid phone calls from Carmody and Reid.

Actually the Hrovat trade might be the most interesting trade of the period.
Both clubs gambling on where they think the other club will end next year.

With Kerridge dropping in?
I've got no issues with that backline. At first glance it looks a bit top-heavy, so yes, we could use someone to mark the oppositions small forwards, but I don't mind it at all.

What's people's thoughts on Billy Gowers slotting in to the back half. Is he worth a rookie upgrade? They played him as a hbf in the VFL and from all accounts he did ok. Admittedly I didn't see many games..

Can't see how Nicky G, Tutt and Whiley get through to day 1 of pre-season.

Bucks will make it and it wouldn't surprise to see Everitt gone

The old admin is still haunting us a bit with Thomas and Jones still in contract......

Last edited:
As the midfielder who drops in to alternate with Simmo at the top of the zone. He and Ed did this plenty last year.

and in turn he dropped it to the opposition.

Kerridge is not someone we want in defence

Absolutely agree we are thin in the middle. Not a long term prospect but will help in the contested space where we rank near last. Thing is we don't have any developing young mids other than pick 5.

i think barlow has been a very good footballer but how does he help us? 28/29 and past his best. takes the spot of a kid. need to get past these players and play kids. we have still have a lot of mature bodied "handy" players.

Caleb Marchbank - FB
Jacob Weitering -CHB
Levi Casboult - CHF

Let's draft a Moses and an Isaiah and we will have a spine of Biblical proportions...

Why don't we just go straight to the top.

Oh there's a rumour that we have a Judas in our midst already.;)

I'd take Barlow for 2 years

Experienced player who helps share the load while we blood the kids

Yep. I've got no issues picking up players for 1-2 years as stop gaps to keep depth/competitiveness while blooding kids. Allows our draft picks to play in the reserves for a while before coming in to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back