Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the taps are always going to be an issue, but the big thing he needs to fix in his game before reaching the next level is his set shots. Missed a few the last couple of games that he should have nailed.

Did manage 5 hitouts to advantage tonight though, which is better than he usually gets

It's almost as if a ruckman takes time, well strike me pink. He's developing well, will be a very good selection, Darymple RARELY gets first rounders wrong

It's almost as if a ruckman takes time, well strike me pink. He's developing well, will be a very good selection, Darymple RARELY gets first rounders wrong
Been copping a lot of s**t, seems people forget he's only 22.

Dalrymple was incredible in his time with us. Set us up for a decade with his picks in his last few years especially. I was really impressed with what he did for Sydney this year. Time will tell, but I thought the Gould, Taylor and Warner picks were an incredible haul (plus the obvious one in Stephens)

Been copping a lot of sh*t, seems people forget he's only 22.

Dalrymple was incredible in his time with us. Set us up for a decade with his picks in his last few years especially. I was really impressed with what he did for Sydney this year. Time will tell, but I thought the Gould, Taylor and Warner picks were an incredible haul (plus the obvious one in Stephens)

Warner looks a very typical Sydney mid, will debut in the next few weeks probably.

Griffin Logue was best on ground today. Has been in beast mode this season and Freos best so far this season in my view. Can play on talks and smalls too, totally shut down Charlie Cameron when moved onto him against Brisbane. At this early stage of the season he’s well on track for the B&F at the dockers this year.

Griffin Logue was best on ground today. Has been in beast mode this season and Freos best so far this season in my view. Can play on talks and smalls too, totally shut down Charlie Cameron when moved onto him against Brisbane. At this early stage of the season he’s well on track for the B&F at the dockers this year.
Looks like he’s been playing some really good footy. Do you reckon he’ll take King or Membrey next week?

Looks like he’s been playing some really good footy. Do you reckon he’ll take King or Membrey next week?
Will definitly take King, he's the only one we have over 190cm. Should be a good battle but we really need Pearce for King, Logue is better on stockier forwards with his strength

If Cox comes in, he'll take Membrey, otherwise, Ryan has had to a more 1 on 1 defender this year and he'll get the role

Will definitly take King, he's the only one we have over 190cm. Should be a good battle but we really need Pearce for King, Logue is better on stockier forwards with his strength

If Cox comes in, he'll take Membrey, otherwise, Ryan has had to a more 1 on 1 defender this year and he'll get the role
Membrey and Ryan should be a pretty good contest. Both play taller than their actual height. From a Saints perspective, hopefully we can get some one on one contests with King and Logue where King can have a run at it. Logue did a pretty good job on Ben last week though so that should also be an interesting contest.

im eager to get a close look at mcgrath this weekend. i havent seen a lot of him lately. heard hes improved.

simpkin had his quietest game, which was still a very good game with pretty big numbers and a couple of astonishing highlight reel pieces of play in congestion as usual.

according to most key stats and champion data ratings etc, simpkin is one of the best players in the league, let alone this draft. hugh mcluggage is not far off him; the one area mcluggage has a nice edge is in metres gained.

guess taranto is out injured.

very good draft here.

im eager to get a close look at mcgrath this weekend. i havent seen a lot of him lately. heard hes improved.

simpkin had his quietest game, which was still a very good game with pretty big numbers and a couple of astonishing highlight reel pieces of play in congestion as usual.

according to most key stats and champion data ratings etc, simpkin is one of the best players in the league, let alone this draft. hugh mcluggage is not far off him; the one area mcluggage has a nice edge is in metres gained.

guess taranto is out injured.

very good draft here.

Simpkin has been a level above McGrath this year. McGrath has been good at using his athleticism around stoppages and his defensive work is already some of the best in the comp for a mid. The downside has been the new move to the midfield has seen a drop off in the quality of his disposal by foot.

As for this weekend I hope Essendon tag Simpkin as with Higgins and Cunnington potentially out North’s midfield looks overly reliant on Simpkin.

McCluggage up to equal 5th in the coaches votes which is pretty impressive given Neale is in the outright lead by 10 votes. Obviously Ess and Mel have played 1 less so some like Shiel may be higher up if they had played all 5 games.

Berry has had a tremendous 3 weeks. He got forgotten a bit last year and he didn't get in a preseason due to niggling injuries and glandular fever, but this year he's had a clean run of it and is showing why many Brisbane fans rated him as highly as Clug 2 years ago.

McCluggage up to equal 5th in the coaches votes which is pretty impressive given Neale is in the outright lead by 10 votes. Obviously Ess and Mel have played 1 less so some like Shiel may be higher up if they had played all 5 games.

Berry has had a tremendous 3 weeks. He got forgotten a bit last year and he didn't get in a preseason due to niggling injuries and glandular fever, but this year he's had a clean run of it and is showing why many Brisbane fans rated him as highly as Clug 2 years ago.

McGrath has also polled in 3/4 games which is a pleasing sign. I'm not sure he would've polled in three games in a season before.

i was pretty impressed by mcgrath. he looks like a really nicely balanced player. his defensive work in close looked good, although he racked up most of his touches on the outside where essendon absolutely killed us. he went head to head with simpkin at a lot of stoppages and did quite well. we could really use 2 or 3 players like him.

i didnt think it was simpkins best game at all but he did put up some impressive numbers and had some nice dazzling passages of play.

someone said that champion data now ranks him as the 3rd best midfielder in the league. staggering if true. and i expect him to keep climbing. i see a lot of improvement in him still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perryman, Simpkin and McCluggage would potentially all be in line for AA selection at the moment.

Underlines the strength of this draft given it was only 4 years old.

Berry is in stellar form this year finally living up to his obvious potential. Not quite at Clugs level right now but getting there. Just an incredible draft by the Lions especially when you include Witherden

Guys like sps and fisher might be further down peoples lists. But even still they are solid players with bright futures. 2016 was a great draft year

Yeah mids are gonna be harder to crack in my view and I didn’t want to be a homer but there’s an argument to be made for pidge. I reckon Rids is probably behind only Nick Haynes in that tall rebounding style defender though.
Which is certainly no knock on Rids, Haynes has been a solid player for years but it's taken him 9 years to get to the level he's at now. Ridley is nearly there after 4. I'm excited to see what he can become.

Disappointing we can't see where Taranto is at this year, I thought he was going to take his game to another level and be right up there in conversation who is the Giants best mid.

Lock for the squad at this stage

Yeah, missed him.

I'm fairly envious, he's still wafer thin and was plucking the ball in the dewy conditions like it was bone dry.

He's going to be an intercept monster in his mid 20's.

Uses the ball as good as Lukosious as well.

Which is certainly no knock on Rids, Haynes has been a solid player for years but it's taken him 9 years to get to the level he's at now. Ridley is nearly there after 4. I'm excited to see what he can become.

Disappointing we can't see where Taranto is at this year, I thought he was going to take his game to another level and be right up there in conversation who is the Giants best mid.
Should be back this week.

Could put a really good 22 together from this draft
Ryan Logue Stewart
Battle Ridley Bowes
Perryman McGrath Clug
Ainsworth Ratugolea Parfitt
Bolton T.Marshall English
R.Marshall Taranto Simpkin
Berry Long Florent SPS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back