2016 Top Four Slider

Which team from the top four in 2016 won't play finals footy in 2017?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Umm, one team has to travel over an hour to get to the ground and the other team is from the city the ground is located in, there's your advantage... The crowd is probably going to favour the team whichever city the game is located in - another advantage.
Takes just us long from Seaford way depending on traffic, face it Geelongs just an outer suburb of Melbourne where you pay more for everything.

I reckon we will slide to about 6th or 7th, would be thrilled to finish 5th as that would put the Cats right in the hunt. The top 4 is no longer as relevant as it once was. It's a whole new ball game in September now.
I expect GWS and the Dogs to be in the top 4 with the Saints and Dees making life difficult for the Swans. Cats and Hawks have to many good players to fall away completely and people do forget that the Cats finished 10th in 2015, not a bad rise up the ladder in one season! IMO it's GWS and daylight the rest. It's only a matter of which bunny they play in the GF.

Geelong getting off easy this off season as everyone thinks Hawks will slide.

Hawthorn lost players but at least replaced them with quality.

Geelong lost Caddy from their already shallow midfield, and only bought in Touhy. They drafted VFL players as they want immediate impact which is just weird, they will go backwards and are in for a shock about it too I think.

wierd? Wells raised premiership sides, i think he knows what he is doing.........

Over half of the vote is for Hawthorn, more than I expected.

How much of this is based on pure emotion? Ie, choosing Hawthorn because people want to see them miss the eight as opposed to basing their stance on reason.
There is a 'footy logic' of seeing good teams eventually taking a dive - so there might be a rash semi-logic to it. I personally have no idea how Hawthorn will go. Clarko can fool all and sundry - sometimes it feels like Clarko trolls everyone, including Hawthorn supporters, pulling out flags and peaking just at the right time.

I also have no idea how Geelong or West Coast will go (the later being a contender rather than slider). Geelong's fixture is way worse but maybe they will gel more this year and lessen the load for Danger. WC gaining Sammy Mitchell (not only as a player but as a football thinker) can't be under-estimated too. The Crows could keep building too.

Cannot see Sydney, GWS or the Bulldogs slide personally. All three could improve which is a bit scary really.

Who knows who will get that fourth position. No idea. Great for footy.

I reckon we will slide to about 6th or 7th, would be thrilled to finish 5th as that would put the Cats right in the hunt. The top 4 is no longer as relevant as it once was. It's a whole new ball game in September now.
I expect GWS and the Dogs to be in the top 4 with the Saints and Dees making life difficult for the Swans. Cats and Hawks have to many good players to fall away completely and people do forget that the Cats finished 10th in 2015, not a bad rise up the ladder in one season! IMO it's GWS and daylight the rest. It's only a matter of which bunny they play in the GF.
Good point btw - that top four may not actually be as important now which might actually play a part.

Good point btw - that top four may not actually be as important now which might actually play a part.
As we saw with the Dogs in 2016, momentum is crucial and once you get on a roll it's a mighty hard thing to stop. One game in 26 days is no preparation for a Preliminary Final. The door is wide open for those that finish 5-8th, although it really only means who will be the poor saps that cop the Giants in the Grand Final? We didn't recruit well enough or trade well enough and draft picks were so so...i expect 6th - 8th in 2017 . When i make my final ladder prediction i'll put us 5th more out of hope than any common sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As we saw with the Dogs in 2016, momentum is crucial and once you get on a roll it's a mighty hard thing to stop. One game in 26 days is no preparation for a Preliminary Final. The door is wide open for those that finish 5-8th, although it really only means who will be the poor saps that cop the Giants in the Grand Final? We didn't recruit well enough or trade well enough and draft picks were so so...i expect 6th - 8th in 2017 . When i make my final ladder prediction i'll put us 5th more out of hope than any common sense.
I'm not so sure. Certainly the Bulkdogs got a roll and had an incredible fonals series to win the flag. Not sure that's definitive as to whether it's not better to finish top 4 though. As for the Hawks threepeat maybe it was just an incredible effort against the ofds and there is no deeper implication.

So correct, I enjoyed the Doggies playing at their home ground during the 2015 finals (MCG of course right?). Seriously get over it.
Yep agree completely! As a Cats fan I honestly don't understand why we'd want to play home finals at KP?? The Grand Final is at the MCG you have to be able to win at the 'G' to do anything in this game and we've had an awful record there in big matches in the last 5 years under Scott so you'd think we'd want to get as much time on the 'G' as possible during finals to improve.

I'll confess to doing unlikely things with ladder predictor occasionally - the last few years that somehow worked out for me .... might not from now on :(

As for the Hawks threepeat maybe it was just an incredible effort against the ofds and there is no deeper implication.
No it was
(a) because of the expansion teams
(b) free agency
(c) the umpires
(d) the interstate teams being in the grand final and playing on the home ground
(e) the greenhouse effect
(f) lizard illuminati and
(g) the CIA

There is no way it was an incredible effort. Are you serious?

yes it is. it doesn't matter who's fault it is or how it got that way. what is fact is you play several home games a year at etihad. so do we.

you probably play there as often as we do, but somehow it's an advantage for us and a disadvantage for you?
You can ask AFL house, if you like. Etihad is not our home ground. We are forced to play home games away. Why is this difficult to understand?

Yep agree completely! As a Cats fan I honestly don't understand why we'd want to play home finals at KP?? The Grand Final is at the MCG you have to be able to win at the 'G' to do anything in this game and we've had an awful record there in big matches in the last 5 years under Scott so you'd think we'd want to get as much time on the 'G' as possible during finals to improve.
Win % KP v win % MCG.

You are booking us in for a Grand Final we haven't made yet.

Win % KP v win % MCG.

You are booking us in for a Grand Final we haven't made yet.
Believe me I'm not booking us in for a GF, in fact I think we'll be fortunate to make the 8 in 2017 - what I am saying is hypothetically if we have a choice to host a home final at KP or the MCG I'd host it at the 'G' any day because if you can't win there then you'll never win the big one anyway. We were able to win our 2007/9/11 Premierships by playing on the MCG and learning how to play well on the MCG, not by hiding away at KP which will only result in us having a huge disadvantage in the future when ever we do have to play at the 'G' in finals...

It's not just hatred, on a rational level it's that you lost two legends from your midfield.
True but I think people need to look deeper than that... Roughy is a HUGE addition and T. Mitchell and O'Meara can be anything. Exciting times ahead as far as I'm concerned but happy for others to think otherwise. BTW, can't believe the Cats are running clear second on the poll... You're almost as loathed as we are! ;)

True but I think people need to look deeper than that... Roughy is a HUGE addition and T. Mitchell and O'Meara can be anything. Exciting times ahead as far as I'm concerned but happy for others to think otherwise. BTW, can't believe the Cats are running clear second on the poll... You're almost as loathed as we are! ;)
Yeah you're building a good midfield for the future no doubt but in 2017 you'll struggle a bit, as for us again rather than hatred people realise a serious injury to Dangerfield and it's absolute curtains for us. We have no depth and an incredibly overrated coach.

Back