2017/18 Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty anti-climactic in the end

Always was going to be. All it required was a little application from Starc and Hazlewood, who were pretty ******* poor on day 4.

Every single time people do their nar nar over a ~300-350 4th innings target. It just happens so rarely, even in a higher scoring era. England have literally never successfully chased that much in the entire history of cricket. People talk about Australians being scarred from Eden Gardens 01, it's more like we are scarred from South Africa at the WACA in 2008 IMO.

Pretty anti-climactic in the end

England showed plenty but like in the Brisbane test when they fold up they go down in a heap.

A good battle for 4 days made all the more interesting by a bad call from each skipper. Root will never send another side in after winning the toss ever again and Smith and Australia need to rethink their reluctance to enforce the follow on as it was plain silly to hand England the chance to test them out under lights with a new ball.

Day Night tests are here to stay and Adelaide is the ideal venue.

He has been scoring runs in the shield, but hasn't bowled much
Won't need him to bowl in Perth.

Poms will poop their pants, anyway.

I am a patriotic West Australian and the moment Marsh stops scoring runs, which will undoubtedly be soon, I hope they drop him straight away.
He has an entire career of unreliability as evidence, it's not an eastern states media conspiracy. He's only even playing because they didn't want to carry too much of an inexperienced batting line up (look at the Poms. 3 of the top 6 with no experience is too many in an important series).
I played senior district cricket with and against Shaun and he has more cricket talent in his little finger than probably all bf posters combined....injuries have given him an interrupted career and to a lesser extent some self belief issues. Great to see him and the team do well against cricket’s version of the WCE!

What if one of Hazelwood, Starc or Cummins is going to be rested?

I would have liked to add Mitchell Johnson to the squad before the WACA test to put the wind up them a bit, really shake up the media too.
Jackson Bird is still in the squad.

WBBL looks like it's going to be more entertaining this year. In a game and a half we've already had two scores over 200, a new record team score, and a new record fastest 100 off 47 balls.

The gap in quality between the men and women isn't as big as it is currently in AFL.

I see one of the England A side is in the doodoo for an 'alcohol related' incident.

It seems Ben Duckett threw his drink over Jimmy Anderson.

Even the Poms hate Anderson. Has to be a message in that for him
Was it warm beer with a dash of lime cordial in it?
(Many of them really do that. I have seen it first hand)

WBBL looks like it's going to be more entertaining this year. In a game and a half we've already had two scores over 200, a new record team score, and a new record fastest 100 off 47 balls.

The gap in quality between the men and women isn't as big as it is currently in AFL.

The women's game has improved - I think cricket in some areas is a game that doesn't highlight the quality difference between the two as much. AFL it is stark in almost every aspect of the game. This isn't to say the gap isn't still massive in cricket as it always will be, ground sizes, bowling speeds, fielding etc. Just that the women's game has improved, I am not sure that carries to tests personally as the game slows too much in the second innings. But WBBL is entertaining and skilful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was it warm beer with a dash of lime cordial in it?
(Many of them really do that. I have seen it first hand)

Warm beer I've seen but I've never seen lime cordial.

I spend a bit of time in Vietnam and they drink their beer with a huge block of ice in it. Really hard trying to persuade them not to serve your beer with an ice block. You usually have to settle for just drinking from the bottle.

At least they dont serve it with lime cordial

Warm beer I've seen but I've never seen lime cordial.

I spend a bit of time in Vietnam and they drink their beer with a huge block of ice in it. Really hard trying to persuade them not to serve your beer with an ice block. You usually have to settle for just drinking from the bottle.

At least they dont serve it with lime cordial
I’ve seen them do it to a “lager”. Just a dash, they said it was to take the edge off the bitterness.
I was even asked by the bartender if I wanted it, which got a very definite “no!”
I wonder how they’d go with emu bitter? Ice cold on a hot day, a stubby of that is in my top 10 of things I miss from WA

I’ve seen them do it to a “lager”. Just a dash, they said it was to take the edge off the bitterness.
I was even asked by the bartender if I wanted it, which got a very definite “no!”
I wonder how they’d go with emu bitter? Ice cold on a hot day, a stubby of that is in my top 10 of things I miss from WA

Not a big fan of Emu Bitter but the bitters they serve in UK pubs are really good, especially some of the pub brewed bitters. I've wasted many a pound on some of those bitters....and nary a call for lime cordial. That should be a crime

The bowling in women's cricket is not improving at the same rate as the batting imo and that may be part of the reason the bat is dominating the ball this season.

Long hops and full tosses being served up in far too many overs and the batters are good enough to put most of them away.

Most of the fielding is very good however. It will be interesting to see if the bowling standard rises as the time and effort put into junior programs feeds into the WBBL in a few years time.

Bit of Chief Spam:

BBL Tipping is now open - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/tips/

Ignore the rules etc they are for the AFL comp and I haven't updated them, just put in winners runs for the first match of the week as a tie-breaker.

Weekly Platinum prizes and a badge for the winner.

Should we add finals? We will see what we can do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back