Autopsy Round 18 Review - The Winner Is… Not Us. Freo 65, Sydernee 82

Remove this Banner Ad

The sky is falling mentality on here is hilarious.. Anyone would think we are out of finals contention with the loss last night and a 50/50 record. We played poorly, skills were rubbish, pressure was rubbish, sydney went into boredom shite because blah blah blah..

Bunch of 'What have you done for me lately' fans..

looking at brisbane's run home (Suns H, Richmond A, Carlton H, Saints A, Melbourne H) , i still say we're every chance of making the 4. even sydney have dropped games that they shouldn't have this year. 100% a wasted chance to cement ourselves in the 4, but we're still a good chance. could possibly do it with 1 win against Richmond/Melbourne/Dogs, but probably need 2.

Oh we’re still a decent shot but there’s certainly a little bit of ‘need results to fall out way’ now.

Obviously we win 5 from here we make top 4. Win 4 and it’s actually no certainty.

The sky is falling mentality on here is hilarious.. Anyone would think we are out of finals contention with the loss last night and a 50/50 record. We played poorly, skills were rubbish, pressure was rubbish, sydney went into boredom shite because blah blah blah..

People are passionate and allowed to be disappointed by a poor performance. We should be aiming top 2 and failing that top 4. Limping into finals at the bottom of the 8 after the season we’ve had is failure. It’s time we started being more ruthless.

The loss was ugly and probably closes the door on us re top 2. For top 4 we probably now cannot lose again or at max once as Sydney and Collingwood have decent draws, particularly Swans. Hence the obvious frustration across supporters.

Do you think we’ll go 3:0 against Tigers, Melb , WB with tigers and WB away? I bloody hope so but some breathing room would have been nice

Longmuir was comprehensively out coached by Longmire tonight, how long do you keep playing a zone when they are cutting it to pieces.

This is just dumb. The answer is forever. Every single coach in every single team plays a zone defense and has done for 30 years. Man on man defense is a relic of the 1980s.

If we had gone to "man on man" defense, their precise kicking would have picked us apart with even more ease. That's why teams play a zone defense.

Every time I close my eyes I see Chad Warner’s pimple-ridden smug face celebrating a goal. Please make the nightmare stop.

Simply not as good as our opposition tonight. On the field or in the coaches box.

It is going to be a good year, we're winning plenty, will play finals and so many players are hitting PB form but we are not a finished side yet. Still got holes to fill and players that need replacing.

Pearce back will help especially if he can get a solid run without injury but we need more. As a lot of posters said in the gameday thread I'd take Swita as an upgrade on Walters (although I thought he chased hard tonight and tried at least) but I really worry about our forward line. We still do not kick enough, regularly enough.

And we absolutely need another two or three of our new recruits to come on and force themselves into the team. It could be the difference between a premiership and a few years of being competative. Would love it to be next week but maybe its more reasonable to expect it in 2023.

And Fyfe... Fantastic you're back and we shouldn't expect so much, but that wasn't a captain's game.

Yours is the best and most rational assessment of us and the game by a long way.

Basically we are good but not great, we have weaknesses, we have players who are relatively inexperienced who will improve and we have players developing at Peel who will put on selection pressure in the near future.

I think we are on the right track and feel sure we will improve quite a bit over the next few seasons.

So much hyperbole ITT, particularly the sky is falling comments that we're somehow now out of contention. Like, you guys need a hug or something cause that's just silly. We should, in a way, be thanking Sydney for exposing some glaring weaknesses in our game. That doesn't mean it's going to happen every week, it means we've been given an opportunity to get better.

We actually didn't play too bad last night. They found a way to get on top strategically and we were unable to respond. I made a comment in the match day thread that we were looking great in the first quarter, we looked very solid.

For me, the breakdown in our game started in the air. We've dominated the air in some games this year and we've looked brilliant. Darcy and Lobb gave us nothing, and Logue being forced to pay back robbed us of a great forward half contest to at least bring the ball to ground so the smalls could get to work.

With their defence making our forwards look inferior in the air, they then set about chipp chipping all the way down the ground, denying us possession and taking away our strength; rebounding with pace. Combine this with a few players having down nights creating holes in our zone, and suddenly we look inept.

I wonder what difference having Pearce available and Logue forward might have had. Lobb hurting his shoulder in the first quarter also had a significant impact on his ability to provide aerial contest.

So, in summary, we remain firmly in the premiership race. We didn't get beat by North, we got beat by another contender, and they only just got on top towards the end. I come out of the game feeling like it would have been nice to win, but maybe we'll take more out this loss than we would have otherwise.

So, thank you Sydney for showing us where we need to improve before we got finals.

Meh I’m just enjoying the ride this season, I don’t think our side is top 4 quality, I personally believe our list is really overrated and we’ve played out of our skins majority of the season and it was never going to last all season. Hopefully we get a burst of energy playing finals for the first time in a long time and we snatch a final win.
I agree. I have enjoyed the Brand of footy Freo has played for most of the season.

Again... Start of the season, I would of been happy just to get 7th or 8th.

Now..... I want top 6.

Top 2 or Top 4 would of been a Major jump. 5th or 6th with a home final will satisfy me this season.

Yours is the best and most rational assessment of us and the game by a long way.

Basically we are good but not great, we have weaknesses, we have players who are relatively inexperienced who will improve and we have players developing at Peel who will put on selection pressure in the near future.

I think we are on the right track and feel sure we will improve quite a bit over the next few seasons.

Yep, whatever we do this season will hold us in good stead for next season. We're very much a developing list and coaching team and we're getting better all the time.

Thoughts on the new Quokka mascot?

Not really feeling it, to be honest. It came out of nowhere with no fan consultation. There’s the rhyme of the name, but that’s about it. There aren’t any Quokkas in Fremantle - and three mascots is too many. I bet they get rid of the other two in the off season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is just dumb. The answer is forever. Every single coach in every single team plays a zone defense and has done for 30 years. Man on man defense is a relic of the 1980s.

If we had gone to "man on man" defense, their precise kicking would have picked us apart with even more ease. That's why teams play a zone defense.

Crap you can combo the 2 leave the backward kick Extra payers fill the space man on man elsewhere.
Maybe we don’t train a plan “B”. Plan “A” worked for most of the season.

Sydney picked us apart tonight. Are you saying just give in.

Have loved JL but tonight was shown up

That's not how they play. They realised that if they attempted a run and gun style they would get blitzed the other way. They played keep it off and it worked.

We didn't adjust at all.

They played a superb style to beat us. If we could've got to a 5 goal lead they may have had to attempt a more run and gun style to 'catch up'. Hence why early misses are crucial.

That 3rd quarter was just so annoying. I hate being a hindsight hero couch but we were smashing them in the ruck and clearances... so what did we need to do? Create more stoppages. What did we do? Play a bloody zone for way too long and allow them to keep the ball. Infuriating game plan.

100% we should've manned up or even squeezed the zone in. Create some 50/50 balls, even spoils out of bounds. I mean there was so much to it that was annoying.

I'm still annoyed because Sydney aren't great. We basically played as poorly as we could, allowed them to play a system to the absolute best of their abilities and they only just won.
I think what gives me PTSD about that style, is that the two teams I hate the most in this world, West Coast and Hawthorn (Carlton are a completely different matter entirely) utilised this game style to great effect against us in the past decade, and the technique sh*ts me no end!

Last edited:
We have to expect that teams will bring their best against us now and the better, more disciplined teams will take it up to us
Yes, part of improving is becoming the hunted. Look at how Sydney's coaches box celebrated beating us. They don't do that unless beating us means something. Few in our team know what it is like to be hunted at AFL level, only Fyfe, Mundy and Walters would have that experience. This was an annoying loss, but something I believe we'll learn from long term.

I could swear we've played man on man at times this season, it really seemed like the obvious coaching move last night

Lot of our guys looked like plodders running around between all the Sydney players chipping it around

Here’s an idea. How about people who are hurting from the game & saw a lot they didn’t like are allowed to vent a bit & write their criticism while people who see it as a speed bump & are still happy with where we’re at can write that without one side or the other insisting theirs is the only correct response.

Different strokes & all that.

Personally I found the lack of energy & creativity in our defense very disturbing.
From the view behind the goals no one was leading or trying to create opinions & after the 3rd or 4th kick from Ryan to the same spot for a turnover my blood was boiling.

It reminded me off our worst periods in the last 10 years or so.

Crap you can combo the 2 leave the backward kick Extra payers fill the space man on man elsewhere.
Maybe we don’t train a plan “B”. Plan “A” worked for most of the season.

Sydney picked us apart tonight. Are you saying just give in.

No, I am saying that going "man on man" doesn't help. So it's pointless. All you need is a single player on the opposition team that is faster than his direct opponent and that entire plan falls apart. Which is why teams don't do it.

No, I am saying that going "man on man" doesn't help. So it's pointless. All you need is a single player on the opposition team that is faster than his direct opponent and that entire plan falls apart. Which is why teams don't do it.

But if you give a faster player 5 metres start and the kick he receives is low flat and quick that 5 metres quickly becomes 15 and the opposition is of to the races.

1a18e866-2fad-46f3-8c4d-f1ed825c63b5_text.gif

Apologies but have to disagree.

What we saw yesterday was nothing like some of the complete tripe we have dished up in the last few years.

Linking this deserves a ban.

disgusted i feel sick GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back