2017 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly Sandilands is coming off a year of serious injury issues and is 34. It will probably take a while for him to get back up to speed.
Yeah I guess. Huge height advantage will never leave him though. Just run to the contest, don't fall over, tap the ball to a teammate. It's easy!

Hope everyone's been well, I haven't had a lot of time to post over past few months but I've decided to throw together my predicted Round 1 team and what I hope will be our 22 come the end of the season.

This is what I think our Round 1 side will look like.

*I personally think we'd be stupid to play Lycett round 1 with only one JLT and possibly 1 WAFL game under his belt.

FB: Sheppard McGovern Schofield
HB: Hurn Barrass Wellingham
C: Gaff Mitchell Jetta
HF: Masten Darling Cripps
FF: LeCras Kennedy Petrie
Foll: Vardy Priddis Shuey

INT: Butler Yeo Hill Sheed

EMG: Nelson Redden Hutchings/ Sheed (could go either way imo)

I think Nelson could potentially take Butlers spot this season, has looked good in the JLT so far (looks a lot stronger) and is my preference before Cole who imo is still too raw. I think Hill showed enough on Saturday for a RD 1 spot, but he's on thin ice after his second half of 2016 and if I were him I would be very concerned once Willie is back fit and firing, Simmo seems like to him, and for good reason from what I've heard / read.

This is what I'm hoping will be our 22 by the end of the year.

B: Sheppard McGovern Nelson
HF: Duggan Darling Cripps
FF: Rioli Kennedy LeCras
FOLL: Naitanui Priddis Shuey
INT: Sheed Lycett Yeo Masten / Hutchings

Not much of a fan of either Masto or Hutch but from what I saw of the younger lads in JLT 1 there's no one I can see cementing their spot in the 22 by the back end of 2017. Not writing any of them off, but ATM it's too early for me to make a call. So unless Redden has a huge turn around or some one like DV or Parto completely dominates at EP and holds there own at the top level, that's the way I see it playing out. Ive gone with a 2 KPD backline in hope that Simmo has Yeo mainly playing down there all season. Continuity did a lot for Sheps game rather than being shifted around the field, hopefully we'll see a similar rise in Yeo's game if he has a set role in this side. Wellingham, Yeo, Sheppard and Jetta running it out from HB is an exciting prospect.

Last edited:
Hope everyone's been well, I haven't had a lot of time to post over past few months but I've decided to throw together my predicted Round 1 team and what I hope will be our 22 come the end of the season.

This is what I think our Round 1 side will look like.

*I personally think we'd be stupid to play Lycett round 1 with only one JLT and possibly 1 WAFL game under his belt.

FB: Sheppard McGovern Schofield
HF: Masten Darling Cripps
FF: LeCras Kennedy Petrie
Foll: Vardy Priddis Shuey

INT: Butler Yeo Hill Sheed / Hutchings

EMG: Nelson Redden Hutchings/ Sheed (could go either way imo)

I think Nelson could potentially take Butlers spot this season, has looked good in the JLT so far (looks a lot stronger) and is my preference before Cole who imo is still too raw. I think Hill showed enough on Saturday for a RD 1 spot, but he's on thin ice after his second half of 2016 and if I were him I would be very concerned once Willie is back fit and firing, Simmo seems like to him, and for good reason from what I've heard / read.

This is what I'm hoping will be our 22 by the end of the year.

B: Sheppard McGovern Nelson
HF: Duggan Darling Cripps
FF: Rioli Kennedy LeCras
FOLL: Naitanui Priddis Shuey
INT: Sheed Lycett Yeo Masten / Hutchings

Not much of a fan of either Masto or Hutch but from what I saw of the younger lads last week there's no one I can see cementing their spot in the 22 by the back end of 2017. Not writing any of them off, but ATM it's too early for me to make a call. So unless Redden has a huge turn around or some one like DV or Parto completely dominates at EP and holds there own at the top level, that's the way I see it playing out. Ive gone with a 2 KPD backline in hope that Simmo has Yeo mainly playing down there all season. Continuity did a lot for Sheps game rather than being shifted around the field, hopefully we'll see a similar rise in Yeo's game if he has a set role in this side. Wellingham, Yeo, Sheppard and Jetta running it out from HB is an exciting prospect.
Sheed is 100% ahead of Masten right now in the pecking order imo.

Butler Barrass Schofield
Shepp McGven Hurn
Jetta Mitchell Gaff
Yeo Darling Hill
LeCras Kenedy Cripps
Lycett Shuey Priddis

Nelson Petrie Wellers Masten

Emg. Sheed Hutchings Vardy McKenzie Redden Duggan Giles McGinnity

.........., Barrass, Sheppard
Hurn, McGovern, Wellingham
Gaff, Priddis, Jetta
Cripps, Darling, Hill
LeCras, Kennedy, ..........
........., Shuey, Mitchell

I think those 15 are pretty much locked in with the remaining 7 spots to be filled from the following:

Schofield
Sheed
Yeo
Butler
Nelson
Hutchings
Masten
Redden
Duggan
Lycett/Vardy/Giles/Petrie (only 2 of these 4)

The final JLT game only allows for 24 players and I'd be surprised if anyone outside that group plays in that game

Butler Barrass Schofield
Shepp McGven Hurn
Jetta Mitchell Gaff
Yeo Darling Hill
LeCras Kenedy Cripps
Lycett Shuey Priddis

lH5ExZq.gif

Butler Barrass Schofield
Shepp McGven Hurn
Jetta Mitchell Gaff
Yeo Darling Hill
LeCras Kenedy Cripps
Lycett Shuey Priddis

Wut?

Sheed gets in over masto, Nelson and possibly even Jetta.

Wut?

Sheed gets in over masto, Nelson and possibly even Jetta.
I think he's been ok this pre season but he's realistically competing with Shuey, Priddis, Mitchell and Gaff for an on ball role.

Nelson has been impressive this pre season and has a bit more versatility than Sheed so Nelson gets the nod imo.

Masten will primarily play on the wing with stints up forward, not really sheeds role, same with Jetta who will also play a bit down back.

I think he's been ok this pre season but he's realistically competing with Shuey, Priddis, Mitchell and Gaff for an on ball role.

Nelson has been impressive this pre season and has a bit more versatility than Sheed so Nelson gets the nod imo.

Masten will primarily play on the wing with stints up forward, not really sheeds role, same with Jetta who will also play a bit down back.
Did you watch sheed in 2015. He played on ball, wing and hff to perfection. He also made our side look better in his few games towards the end of the year. The only way we can cover NIC nats loss is by having better contested players. Masten isnt and Nelsons not really versatile either. He can play I. Defence but his midfield game is totally untried at AFL level.

Mitchell will spend a bit of time on a back flank and even a wing, allowing sheed to go on ball. Gaff will go back to playing a lot of wing now that there's on ball depth.

Sheed at his best get you around 20 quality possessions. This year he might take the next step up and accumulate mid 20s to 30 possessions on a very regular base.

Sheed is 100% ahead of Masten right now in the pecking order imo.

He is imo too, but I'm trying to think how the MC will play it. I still think Masten will be given first shot as starting 18, you know what the MC is like. Not to mention Simmo stating Sheed isnt a lock for the 22.

I also wrote this down last week sometime so I forgot to change the Sheed / Hutchings listing last night before posting, Sheeds in over Hutch no doubt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

erm..you named McGinnity as an emergency. I hate to break it to you but he retired :)

Sheed as emergency behind Nelson is also highly improbable IMO.
McGinnity's inclusion was in keeping with the best 22 so I put it aside!

I suggest you take more notice of Keys as he has been to heaps of training sessions (I managed just under half of what he did and his overviews were very accurate from what I saw). I am not sure I agree with Hill being a lock in but the remaining 14 look the goods.

Sheed has been playing pivotal midfield.
Wellers has been a kick to target with run and carry.
Prior to his hamstring injury Duggan was playing extractor role along with Sheed.

Sheed will have a pivotal role in stoppages along with Mitchell. Shuey and Priddis will be in the coal face feeding it to these two guys. If redden gets going, then frees Shuey up and that makes our midfield even stronger

Butler Barrass Schofield
Shepp McGven Hurn
Jetta Mitchell Gaff
Yeo Darling Hill
LeCras Kenedy Cripps
Lycett Shuey Priddis

Sheed an emergency? No way, if that's the case, then he's highly under performing. Sheed is meant to be the Priddis replacement. I would have him over Masten any day of the week.

I think the following players will all play round 1 -

Mitchell
Lecras
Gaff
Sheed
Sheppard
Yeo
Priddis
Shuey
Wellingham
Cripps
Kennedy
McGovern
Jetta
Hurn
Darling
Hill
Barrass

5 spots still up for grabs imo.

2 of Masten,Hutchings,Redden & Duggan
2 of Lycett,Vardy,Giles,Petrie
1 of Butler & Nelson for that 7th defender off the bench. Mitchell may cancel this role out though.

Hope i haven't missed anyone.

erm..you named McGinnity as an emergency. I hate to break it to you but he retired :)

Sheed as emergency behind Nelson is also highly improbable IMO.
I'm glad someone noticed McG. I did that intentionally.

Sheed may well get in front of Nelson, it's just my opinion, I just think from what we've seen so far in the pre season Nelson has really stepped it up more noticeably than Sheed. I may review the past couple games and put some more attention into Sheed to be sure.

sheed was so much better in the first game and was our best midfielder. Nelson did a few nice things but was quiet overall. In the second game sheed wasn't prolific but did a lot of nice thing in Patches. Nelson had a much more improved game. However, at the end of the day we have more than enough players in our 22 that could cover the 7th defender role that Nelson will be.

sheed was so much better in the first game and was our best midfielder. Nelson did a few nice things but was quiet overall. In the second game sheed wasn't prolific but did a lot of nice thing in Patches. Nelson had a much more improved game. However, at the end of the day we have more than enough players in our 22 that could cover the 7th defender role that Nelson will be.

I thought Sheed played well as an inside mid and was happy he got 20 considering we had Mitchell, Priddis and Shuey all playing in there.

I'm glad someone noticed McG. I did that intentionally.

Sheed may well get in front of Nelson, it's just my opinion, I just think from what we've seen so far in the pre season Nelson has really stepped it up more noticeably than Sheed. I may review the past couple games and put some more attention into Sheed to be sure.
I think you best 22 is pretty hard anchored back in 2016 - the pre-season has been interesting and I do not see such stability for those auto starters of 2016.

They may get early game time but there are a group of players that have been far more pivotal and influential on the training sessions and JLT that I observed. From what I have seen, the MC are going placing high importance of speed and clean skills out of defence - they have also been playing Jack as a HFF so expect Jack plus 2 talls in our forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back