2017 Carlton's Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

With squads of 26/28, they'll all get a game.
If they all play on the weekend I'll probably take another look at that best 22.
Cuningham does everything right - moves well, doesn't panic, works hard defensively. Needs to find a way to stay involved for longer & apparently needs some confidence so spending most of the year as a VFL rover could be best for his development anyway.

I'd like to see this team Round 1

FB: Simpson Rowe Plowman
HB: Docherty Marchbank Gibbs
C: Smedts Murphy Pickett
HF: SPS Weitering Wright
FF: Silvagni CCurnow Sumner
RR: Kreuzer Cripps ECurnow
INT: Palmer Polson Cuningham Sheehan

I would too :thumbsu:. Good spread of experience, imports and draftees. Would be interesting to watch.

Im very comfortable with that backline. Gibbs down back could be a smart move to replace Byrne. Midfield looks solid. Foward line is young but bags of potential. I would question, who's second ruck?

Im very comfortable with that backline. Gibbs down back could be a smart move to replace Byrne. Midfield looks solid. Foward line is young but bags of potential. I would question, who's second ruck?

Good point. I'd like to put Casboult in there, but he'd have to play as a second ruck only - aka wouldn't happen.

Maybe Rowe as a relief ruck? If it doesn't compromise our defensive structures too much.

Charlie is a lock.

Not sure about Palmer. Smedts didn't get a lot orbit but looked a lot swift of foot than Palmer and we know Bolts wants quick ball movement. Reckon Fisher is an outside chance. Look forward to seeing SPS and Polson next.

Gibbs to defence ?? Crazy idea especially when he played most of his early days there and he is better used in the midfield now.

The midfield looks solid ...... ?? With whom ?? You want to play Gibbs off halfback.

Like it but no way Gibbs doesn't play onball. Have you seen our midfield? It's one step away from being non existent sadly.

B Plowman Rowe Sheehan
HB Simpson Marchbank Docherty
C Murphy Gibbs C.Curnow
R Kreuzer Cripps E.Curnow
HF Silvagni Casboult Wright
F Pickett Weitering Sumner
Int Smedts Fisher Cuningham Polson

Thus far and pending the other two preseason games of course

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely Rowe, Weitering, Plowman, Marchbank is too top heavy a defence

I know Plow is only around 191/2 but he's hardly a quick ball carrying defender

Rowe is the gorilla so he stays down back

Plow is a defender

Surely Rowe, Weitering, Plowman, Marchbank is too top heavy a defence

I know Plow is only around 191/2 but he's hardly a quick ball carrying defender

Rowe is the gorilla so he stays down back

Plow is a defender

I am a fan of Rowe fwd/ruck but he did look assured down back again. Definitely that bigger bodied presence. I do agree our defence looked too big though

My Round One side at this stage:

B: Buckley Weitering Plowman
HB: Docherty Marchbank Smedts

Foll: Kruezer Gibbs Murphy
C: SPS Cripps Simpson

HF: Charlie Rowe Pickett
F: Silvagni Casboult Wright

Int: Palmer Curnow Cuningham Fisher

I just can't see us going too tall in defence against Tigers. They went smaller up forward at weekend and coaches commented they are trying to be quicker and more mobile up forward. Weitering has to take Reiwoldt and Marchbank can handle Griffiths

Smedts off HB as I can't find anyone else. I am hopeful on Lamb or Sheehan but Bolton doesn't seem to be. Simmo always starts on wing and drops back as extra

Casboult plays as I think McKay needs some time. Rowe up forward as option and flexibility. Can easily swap with Weitering or Marchbank. Nearly had White on bench as back up

FB: Plowman -- Rowe -- White
HB: Docherty -- Marchbank -- Simpson

C: Murphy -- E. Curnow -- Fisher
R: Kreuzer -- Cripps - Gibbs

HF: Sumner -- Weitering -- Wright
FF: Silvagni -- McKay -- LeBois

Int: C. Curnow -- Petrovski-Seton -- Cuningham -- Palmer
Emg: Smedts -- Armfield -- Kerridge

Might be a Simpleton, but I always reckon you have the players who have the optimum balance of getting the ball and delivering the ball to advantage, in the midfield and forward zone. Fact is, every time a goal is kicked the ball goes back to the middle. If I see a team where the defence are getting good numbers every week it means they are likely under-siege and have a poor midfield. I want to see the ball move around in our midfield and forward zone and get locked-in there for >50% of game time - that makes me happy.

Relatively speaking (and I mean RELATIVELY SPEAKING), we have an overflow of back-line talent - time to move some talent (Weitering) up the ground. I hope that next year we might be able to move Docherty into the midfield!

prefer Weitering in defence. him and Marchbank will be an excellent duo.

would play Harry Mckay in R1

Love Weitering in defence, but he showed in a short cameo yesterday that he can potentially be a gun forward (showed as a junior he could kick bags). As others have said, McKay might not be quite ready this year - will likely spend at least half the games he plays in the NBs; will be a gun forward in the not too distant future, but he's only months older than most of last year's draftees. Charlie Curnow looks like an on-baller cum forward. If Weitering plays as a forward he will most certainly (easily) kick more goals than Wright or Casboult did last year (or will this year). "Simples" as my Meerkat friend says!

Love Weitering in defence, but he showed in a short cameo yesterday that he can potentially be a gun forward (showed as a junior he could kick bags). As others have said, McKay might not be quite ready this year - will likely spend at least half the games he plays in the NBs; will be a gun forward in the not too distant future, but he's only months older than most of last year's draftees. Charlie Curnow looks like an on-baller cum forward. If Weitering plays as a forward he will most certainly (easily) kick more goals than Wright or Casboult did last year (or will this year). "Simples" as my Meerkat friend says!

That's 2 out of 2 for Weiters forward.

I've said it before, give me a gun forward before a gun backman, as important a good backman is of course.

It'll come down to team balance though I assume. That's why I think it's interesting...

- we have Rowe, Marchbank and Plowman already down back
- Charlie played almost solely onball against Dees
- McKay not ready yet IMO

Imo Rowe plays best when he only has to concentrate on one type of play. Make him think about playing in two positions and he becomes less effective.

Weitering, Marchbank are mobile intercepting defenders and as long as our mids make themselves available we will always be able to rebound from defense. So when I see a best 22 list with Plowman, Rowe, Weitering and Marchbank I don't immediately think we are too tall, slow maybe but not too tall.

Casboult and Kreuzer as our rucks, I'm good with that. Gives our other forwards a chance to gain some consistent time on field. Jones and KJ have to step or pfft out the door they go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back